What's new

Magnum P.I. Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Selleck ought to be getting paid something from these DVD's in the forum of residual checks or something like that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Gord, does the packaging have the "music may be changed" disclaimer? Not that that would be proof the music had been changed, as I assume that is a standard thing for their DVDs now.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nope, it's not there. It's not on A-Team either, but IS on Knight Rider Season 2. So the label on the box actually means something was replaced - good to know :D

It's also not on Columbo Season 2, but is on Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Season 1.

Gord

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Great news for Magnum, but a shame for the others. Have there been pop songs in the season two episodes? I don't know if it had any or not. If not, I guess it'll just be standard Universal policy to cut music for most releases.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
By the way, I apologize for not thanking you earlier for looking up that information, Gord. I do appreciate it.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
One thing to remember about Magnum is that they often used versions of classic songs by anonymous cover bands rather than the original artists. In the episode "Did You See the Sun Rise", they used versions of "Gimme Shelter" and "Satisfaction" that were definitely not performed by the Rolling Stones.

In fact, the only recognizable songs by the original artists that I can remember was "Mama" by Genesis in the last season and a John Denver song at the end of "Limbo"

Jim-M

Second Unit
The review is up at TVShowsOnDVD.com. Gord mentions an audio hiss that was also there in season 1, but I never noticed it so I guess it won't bother me. I'm really looking forward to this one. The first season was very good, the second is even better.

Gord, are the bonus episodes on Side A of disc 1?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Yup, that's why there are only a couple of episodes on there.

The audio hiss is pretty obvious in certain episodes, but the quality of the show quickly sucks you in and you don't notice it.

Gord

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Got my copy in the mail yesterday. I was very impressed with the two part episode involving Michelle. It has been years since I have seen this one and the story is still just as meaningful as it was when I saw it 20+ years ago.

Glad to be able to enjoy these again.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Now the question is whether Universal has reversed their policy regarding music replacement or whether there just weren't any expensive songs in the second season of Magnum.

Later seasons will become expensive (Genesis, Phil Collins and others).

After what they did to Quantum Leap I just don't trust Universal anymore and I won't step into another trap - as much as I love the show, I will wait until all seasons are out and if they don't replace even a single song, I'll buy all the seasons at once (probably around 2008).

Or (in the extremely unlikely case that HD-DVD doesn't fail) I'll buy the All-Seasons-Set when it's released on the next format.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Apparently, on the Season 2 "Knight Rider" set there is one song that was replaced, and it was apparently incidental (according to knightrideronline.com)...

To be fair, on a show like "Knight Rider", I found a lot of the music to be pretty bad cover versions of pretty bad songs.

The early seasons of Magnum didn't have much in the way of music that you'd worry too much about. There was the episode where Magnum helped a lady DJ (who'd apparently broadcast when he and the guys were in Vietnam) and there were some songs in that episode (like "The Dock of the Bay")...I can't remember what season that episode appeared in.

As much as missing music is a concern, I am also concerned by the use of the double-sided discs (I believe DVD-18s).

The reason for my concern is that I don't know how well they are constructed. They are basically two discs glued together. I also believe that the double-sided format makes discs more prone to scratching.

Therefore, I buy these shows merely to enjoy them now. I have over 300 dvds in my collection, but I don't necessarily take the view that they will be in my collection for the next 30 years -- never to be replaced.

I like the opportunity to watch these shows at my own pace, with sound and picture that is better than syndication, in order for around $40.

Magnum is a show that I would love to own, but when it comes to catalog titles, I have a "season limit" on them. My general rule of thumb is "five seasons" being the upper limit...

There are simply too many quality control issues that can creep up. It takes a long time to get through season sets, and there can be problems with odd transfers, music rights, and the physical aspects/flaws on the discs themselves.

When a show lasts from 1-5 seasons, I take comfort in knowing it isn't that large of an investment...and if I need to replace the set someday it won't be too costly.

The last season of Magnum was the one that featured the most "pop music" -- like "The Last Domino" by Genesis...and I believe "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" by Genesis... (The Invisible Touch CD must have been popular with producers)...

Universal is a studio that likes to re-release titles (as do all studios, but Universal seems to do it more). If these sets are successful, they will release newer "more definitive" editions at some point down the road.

They will do the same things with these shows as they do with movies.

Do any of you honestly think that Paramount will be satisfied with selling fans the version of ST:TNG that is currently on the market?

I don't. I think that they will likely release a new version down the road...

Buy these shows and enjoy them now. The transfers on some of the Universal properties are decent...others could use some work (see "Miami Vice")...I think they'll likely retread this same territory again...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'm not sure I agree with you there Chris, some of the shows coming out now may not be profitable to be release AGAIN in a couple of years time, I mean how many people would re-buy all of Magnum PI on DVD? Not many.

Anyway, is there any news on the R2 release of Magnum season two? I don't know if I can wait much longer :frowning:

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

Well, if you are willing to change that rule by one season, you should definitely pick up seasons 1-6 of Magnum (as they become available). It's a solid show up to that point. Seasons 7 and 8 just have a different feel... like all the writers were replaced or something. The more care-free Hawaiian feel of the show is just absent in these last two years, and everything starts to feel a little too serious, even when it isn't.

"Resolutions" was just shown on WGN two weeks ago, and I had forgotten just how much of a lousy series ender it was. Maybe it's just because Magnum's family bores me, I don't know.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When Universal has replaced songs, be they covers or originals, they have replaced them with something totally different and generic. We'll be lucky if even the cover versions stay. If they do, it shouldn't be hard for people to realize they were covers all along.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Still no word on an R2 release of this? :frowning: It seems like I've been waiting for ages...

Does tvshowsondvd.com report on R2 TV DVDs? Or is it just R1 sets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks