What's new

Magnolia brings the Host to HD/BR on 7/24 (1 Viewer)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Guess I have got to start looking there more often.:D Thanks for fixing the title.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Good to see it's marked as the Collector's Edition - there are 1-disc and 2-disc DVDs coming out, and the press releases I've seen were fairly vague on whether all the special features would be included on the HD versions.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
So this is out next Tuesday, and still no online reviews. Seems some folk are getting their hands on the discs, but not too much info out there.

I don't have any Magnolia HD product, but took a gamble and pre-ordered this one. I hope they've made a worthwhile disc...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I have a few of their releases and they have been pretty much top notch.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I opted to go the Netflix route with this, which means I'll probably get it in the mail sometime before the New Year.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Bleddyn - I have the SD DVD to review (and post soon) and it is wonderful. The image is phenomenal so I can only imagine how great the HD versions will look.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I do hope this is a great HD release - I picked up the Optimum UK 2-disc back in April, and was very pleased with it. Hopefully the jump to HD will provide a big jump in PQ!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i always put each weeks new releases at the top of the Q.

then i mail in the watched dvds on sat or monday morning.

by te time netflix gets them they match up with the time the new releases
get shipped out.

this way i always get the new dvds shiped.on the day they are released.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
What I mean by "on-line only" is, will it be available on-line only?
(or, as stated in my previous post: will it be at B&M's?)

Paul Dyer

Auditioning
I just received this from Amazon, and the actual movie appears to be excellent. However, I did not have time to watch it because I needed to leave for work. I did scan a few things, and on my A20 the three trailers/movie previews in the extras section would not play properly. They would freeze on a scene for a fraction of a second, jump slightly too far ahead, etc. This worried me, so I scanned more of the movie than I originally intended. As stated, the movie seems to be fine although I will not truly know until I can watch everything. I am curious as to whether anyone else has problems with the previews, etc.?

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I got My HD DVD copy today. When I put it in my D2 player, I noticed blocking straightaway on the Magnolia logo. Also seemed to be some when the menu first appeared.

The trailer for the Host is fine, but the B13 trailer is riddled with jumps. Skimming the film itself I found no problems, but can't say for sure until I watch it this weekend.

Like Paul I'm curious if others are getting these issues, or whether there are some bad copies out there...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

I wrote this back in July, and contacted Magnolia films about the issues, which many of us seemed to be having.

I had given up on hearing from them, but received this email today. Good news for HD DVD fans, and hopefully something similar will happen for the blu camp.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your purchase of The Host HD DVD.
The issues you are experiencing are not related to the disc itself, but
rather the current firmware of your HD DVD player. Toshiba has
developed a new firmware update that will correct the issues and allow
the disc to function properly in your player. The new firmware version
should be available at the end of October, if not sooner. Please check
Toshiba's website for update availability and dates.

Thank you for your patience and we hope you enjoy upcoming Magnolia Home
Entertainment releases.

Sincerely,

Magnolia Home Entertainment

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Just to wrap this up, I'd heard that Toshiba's new 2.7 firmware update actually fixed "The Host." I upgraded my D2 this afternoon and the pixelization on menus and the trailers is gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks