What's new

magnavox @ avia (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
just got a new magnavox 32 inch LCD hi-def widescreen. looks and works great.
tried calibrating it with my avia calibration disk but when calibrating the brightness part, i can't see the black or white bars scrolling back and forth across the screen, worked fine on my older 32 inch 4:3 TV. i also don't see the two vertical lines bend at all when calibrating the contrast and not much blooming at all except when it gets set very high about almost maxed out.
my question is this: since i don't see the lines bend or the black bars scrollings across the screen, it makes me wonder if i got a not so good TV. i also do not want to shorten the TV life span by using the preset "high" settings.
by the way, i have the hi def box from comcast and am up and running so that is looking just fine. just want to know if i got a good set or not. thanks, william

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If you can't see either the above black bars nor the below white barts, your system is clipping somewhat severely somewhere. When you tried this previously with a previous display, was it from the same source? Also, how are you connected. Ensure that there are no 'enhanced' or 'expanded' range options turned on in the source, or on the display if applicable.

Second: you will never see the lines bend on an LCD display, geometry does not change. You also will never see blooming. IF you listen more closely to the Avia instructions, it explains this, that these are CRT-related artifacts.

Further, you do not need to worry about reduced lifespan on an LCD display, they do not suffer from burn-in concerns.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
hi chris,
thanks for the reply. well, for the brightness test where the 2 black bars are moving sideways left to right, i can't see them at all even after turning the brightness all the way up and down. i don't know why that is but i could see them fine on my 32 inch CRT but then this is an LCD so maybe that's the reason. that had me worried that i may have purchased an inferior product.
magnavox from what i've been told may not be high end but it is a brand name i could afford. i was also told from some TV repair places i called to get some feedback on some of these other foreign makes and was told to stay away for the most part as parts can be difficult to get among other things. stay with a brand name so that's what i did.

ok, was i using the same source? no, i had digital cable with my 32 inch CRT and now i have a hi-def box with digital cable and a 32 inch HD widescreen. HD comes in loud and clear. i will probably just pick on of the preset settings and stay with that . i just want to enjoy it and not worry so much about shortening its life. thanks again for the reply chris. william

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You should not worry whatsoever about shortening the life of the display. Enjoy.

I was asking about the DVD source, which is how I assume you got the Avia patterns to the display. Please describe the setup, how you have the LCD connected to the DVD player, and whether that DVD player is the same you had connected to your CRT display, and how it was connected to the CRT. Bottom line is you should not be missing the Avia bars, this is definitely not a good thing, but it is unlikely to be the fault of the display. More likely it is a setup problem. Sometimes the brightness control on LCD flat panels adjusts the backlight intensity, and not the black level. You may need to play with the other controls and figure out what's going on. Also, my questions about the DVD player are trying to ascertain whether the DVD player is clipping. If it's the same as you used with the CRT, and connected in the same way, then that indicates that the DVD player is ok, since you saw the bars alright on the other display.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
chris,
yea, it's the same DVD player but don't remember if everything is setup the same way as my CRT was. i did notice the other day after i got the new TV and after everything was setup that the DVD player did act differently than before with the CRT. some of the avia displays looked completely different and displayed differently. i took note of that and wondered what was going on as it never did some of those things before. the black bars for the brightness test were white instead of black and on a white background instead of black. there were other random things but don't remember right off hand what they were. hopefully i just set it up differently and that might be the cause as you suggested. i do have someone from comcast coming over tomorrow afternoon to help sort out some of these things and to check out if it's setup properly which could be the problem and usually is as i normally wind up having a few people hooking things up like this and end up calling comcast. yea, it might be simple for most people but it's confusing for me. after a dozen attempts i get frustrated then call someone else who usually makes it worse and so on til i end up calling comcast. i'll let ya know what happens after he come over tomorrow. thanks, william

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
thresholding is what i needed to be looking at and i now see the bars. white on white. i seem to be able to get a very high white level before the bars begin to fade away. i am now good to go, very good to go. thanks, william

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is correct with the white bars, but what about the black bars on the brightness test pattern, are they still missing?

Also, you should stay just below the point of clipping for the white bars with white level with your LCD.

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
chris,
i got interupted when i was calibrating the TV and didn't get a chance to get back to it but will do it again tonight and let you know about the black bars.
as for clipping, that is the point when one or both bars begin to disappear, correct? thanks, william

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks