What's new

Maggies Do Home Theater! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
I have been a long-term Maggie user (around 17 years) and I was pleased to read that they have some exciting new HT speakers just added to their lineup.
From Wayne Garcia in the lates issue of The Absolute Sound:
Playing multichannel music sources, Magnepan got a spacious, transparent, and impressively coherent sound from a quartet of the (relatively) small, side-wall-mounted MGCC1s ($724/pair) and the company's new center-channel model, the horizontally-mounted quasi-ribbon/planar magnetic MGCC2 ($950). Apair of Velodyne SPL-800 subs ($795 each) provided detailed low-frequency support.
This is encouraging for those of us who remain mesmerized by the clarity, dynamics, and large image size of Maggie speakers. :)
Lee

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I have heard Maggies in a HT system and they do sound wonderful especially with Music DVDS. Very open and airy!

JohnG

Ken Mui

Grip
Yes, I have heard a lot of HT system and Maggies convey the most realistic and involving sound. I think besides the accuracy of the transducers, the total square inch of sound vs cone speakers cannot be matched, its all in the physics of sound projection, regardless of how well designed cone speakers are.

ling_w

Second Unit
Their large wave launch way of reproducing sound just makes music sounds effortless. No matter how much the box speaker tries with their massive intert cabinet, completely isolated cabinet for each driver, super tech drivers with massive magnet and superstiff/light driver, they are still confined to the boxy, produce all the sound from one driver, sounds like they are coming from the speaker sound.
Maybe it is not what HT enthusiast wants to hear though, since they want to hear the speaker pushing it, sounding brash, punchy and forward.
Magnepan's HT system was recently reviewed by HomeTheaterSound, including the MG1.6/QR, MGCC2 and MGMC1 speakers.
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...mc1_system.htm
HP from TAS has recently reviewed the MG20.1's.
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/M...TAS_MG20.1.pdf

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to agree I have all maggies in my HT system as well...IMO you have to think outside the box if you want stellar sound:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks