What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mike Knapp, owner of Home Theater Talk, built an IB in his closet awhile back and he thinks its the best thing he has done for his system yet. Click here to read about how he put his together.
I would think that with the way that music is "breathed" into the room with the Maggies that having an IB would had the "feeling" to the room. That is what a great sub does. It is not isolated to a particular point in the room. It is the room. With an IB you have just made your room the face of your speaker. Sort of the principle behing a folded horn setting in the corner. The physical height of a bass note wave is huge.
Having your IB "tuned and dialed in" to your room with your Maggies is going to do something to you though. You won't be able to get the shit eating grin off you face. You will be walking around with this grin on your face that even the wife blowing the checking account won't be able to take off. You will be pissed off at her but at least you will be smiling.
So the moto is "Put a smile on your face. Add an IB to your setup".
"P"

Dean_M

Second Unit
Parker, as far as I'm concerned you're preaching to the choir.:D
I'm already convinced that this is the way for me to go, and I haven't even heard an IB yet. I'm not sure which I'm more excited about - the SQ potential, or the fact that this is something that I can build myself exactly the way I want it without having to make any compromises as one has to do all too often when buying something off the shelf.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I think it is a combination really. The idea that you can build it yourself AND get the SQ reality (not potential) that you always wanted.
In other words. The best of both worlds.
I love preaching to the choir. Especially when they can all sing. :)
Oh...wake up Maggie(s) I think I have something to play through you! (Sorry Rod I couldn't help myself)
"P" man.

Dean_M

Second Unit
:D You're probably right. Plus, I enjoy woodworking and making stuff the old-fashioned way - no screws or nails. I make my own oak dowel pins and I use "Gorilla Glue" and pin everything. The manifold I'm building should be able to take a direct ICBM hit. :D

Alan M

Second Unit
Hi Guys,
Very funny post Parker,my compliments.
Well,I think you all have talked me into it.I'll take measurements tomorrow and order speakers on Thursday.
Gah,upgraditis hits with the force of a 7.0 earthquake:D .

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
Thanks 4 joining me into the Maggie Family. :)
Let's have a reunion? lol j/k.
ut I really am enjoying my new speakers. When I do close up my rear wall, I will probably do as most of you and put my W's in the rear and get the MMG's for the front .
:emoji_thumbsup:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Let the thunder begin. You guys are going to be blown away with an IB in your systems. I want pictures when you are done.
This site is a great place to get ideas from others that that built an IB into their HT.
"P"

Dean_M

Second Unit
M - What speakers are you ordering and how many? Are you going with a manifold or flush mount arrangement, a single in the center or a L&R? If you've decided to buy four speakers instead of two, how long do you think you'll have to sleep on the porch? Details man, we want details! :D
Dean

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
I am already dreaming of the day, and it will be soon, that I upgrade from MG1.6Q/R's to MG3.6R's!!

What say we make Packy an honorary Alan!!

Alan M

Second Unit
Hi Huys,
Well Dean,I've decided to use the Stryke/Lamba 15's.I'm planning on using 2 in a manifold with the woofers facing each other to cancel negative effects.The only thing I'm unsure of is the type of wood and thickness I'll use.It seems like mdf or ply with a hardwood inside facing seems to be the way to go.
From what I'm reading 3/4 or 5/8 thickness will do.My old house was built in 42,so I'll be cutting through plaster rather then drywall.I'm hoping the studs are at least 16" apart,but who knows what they did in 1942,lol.
"how long do you think you'll have to sleep on the porch?"
That my friend,is the question I'm afraid to answer:D

Dean_M

Second Unit
:laugh:
I'm using two layers of 3/4" plywood to build mine. I thought about using hardwood, but I was concerned that it might have a greater tendency to transmit vibrations to the surrounding area. The glue in plywood and MDF seems to dampen vibration a bit over hardwoods.
The only problem that I've run into so far is finding a jig for my router to cut the speaker holes. I can't seem to find one locally, so I'll probably order one from PE.

Alan M

Second Unit
You know,now that we've brought up the question of woods.I had a thought(scary I know).

I know in jet aircraft,the smoothness of the intake and exhaust effects airflow.Roughness disrupts the flow and the limits the amount of airflow .Smooth corners are preferred so air flows more freely.I wonder if this effects soundwaves also?

Hmm,I may try sealing the manifold inside surface with a glaze.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Parker is definitely an honorary Alan.......but bad news, Pummill.....he's already taken over your 'P' lmao......he's the big kahuna, though, bro....what are you gonna do? :D
Speaking of 'P', I have no idea why, but I've been having these mental images of him walking into a Magnepan showroom and busting out with his Rod Stewart just as the sales guy is about to fire up a demo lol

Dean_M

Second Unit
M - Sound waves are air in motion, so there may well be something to that. However, I don't know how significant a factor it would be in our situation. Home Depot sells a two part pour-on type epoxy finish that can be applied quite thickly. It might be a relatively easy way to smooth out the inside of the manifold.
BTW, I'm looking at Ascendant Audio's Avalanche 15 for my IB. I have a very nice porch. :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Shit. Sorry Allan P. I didn't mean to take over your "P".

I will be a number then. The only number in the group. Call me number 6.

....but I've been having these mental images of him walking into a Magnepan showroom and busting out with his Rod Stewart just as the sales guy is about to fire up a demo lol
Yes..but I really don't want to be taken to the nearest Psych hospital.

Parker

Alan M

Second Unit
Parker,
if your 6 and James Bond is(00)7,does that mean you get a better car then he does?:D
Well Dean,we can always turn up our HT's load enough to be heard on the porch;)

Dean_M

Second Unit
:laugh: I guess I could just wire the porch for sound and get myself some 1.6Rs for it. If I have to sleep on the porch with the dogs, I might as well enjoy myself. Oh hell, since I'm already delusional I might as well make it 20.1s. :D
Have you found someone to split a set of four of the IB15s yet?

Alan M

Second Unit
Lets hear it for porch Maggies:D .
Hi Dean,
Nope,I havent found anyone to split the strykes with yet,I figured I'd either sell them on the bay or in the recycler .
Hmm,now that I think about it,2 strykes for my Ib,2 in the dog house so they can have their own subwoofer,hmm,nah.:)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
You could just wire the IB into the front porch and when you wanted to scare the shit of someone, say the Postman or those pesky door to door candy sales people, you could put on a little low LFE at 3,000 watts.

I think I have just invented a whole new way of showing off your bass to your system.

The next step in bass reproduction.

You've heard of bass shakers.

You've heard of (but never actually heard) of near DC bass notes.

Now you don't have to dream about it.

You can actually experience it.

It's porch shakers.

Enough low end LFE to actually measure on the richter scale. (Banned in California or anywhere near a fault line).

And when you are really tired. They also work well as a large foot massager.

Coming soon to your favorite hi-end electronics shop.

Number 6

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks