What's new

Maggie update (2 Viewers)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You guys are getting me all hot 'n bothered to get grab MMG's again...with a CC3. If I do, you can call me Al (if I can call you Betty, of course).

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Jack, we'll make you an honorary 'Al' and we'll make Alan P be 'Betty' since he has the best Maggies of the three Alans :)

Dean_M

Second Unit
AlanM, (There are entirely too many Alans in here! :D) How do you like the Outlaw 950? I'm planning on upgrading my Denon 3802 to a pre/pro. I want something that's good with music, but I would also like to take advantage of some of the newer sound processing like PLIIx. I'm hoping that Outlaw comes out with their new pre/pro soon, so that I can get a chance to compare it to the Sherwood P-965 which seems to be very popular.

Alan M

Second Unit
Howdy Dean,
We Alan's are a growing group,I'll show you our secret handshake:D .
I purchased the Outlaw 950/7100 combo and have been very pleased with both.The 950 has some very nice features that I havent had before(yammi 5760),but find myself using often.
The triple xover is a win win feature.I also find myself using the stereo bypass feature for music quite often.The test tone mode can be used two different ways,in sequence or each speaker individually.
The sound is very natural and seems to match the Maggies well.DTS,DD,PL2,Neo 6,Cirrus Logic 6(havent used this mode myself,but lots of folks on the Outlaw forum say its the best sounding out of PL2,neo6 and cirrus) are all on the 950.I'm using it in 5.1 mode but it can do 6.1 or 7.1 for DTS and DD.
BTW,I believe Alan Z is using the 950 with his Maggies also.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Alan M:

I use stereo bypass almost exclusively for 2-channel listening. I find that the only real drawback is when you have a disc that's poorly recorded. Otherwise I like the DACs in my Denon 2900 better than the 950s.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Thanks for the input, AlanM. Perhaps I'll get a chance to listen to a 950 before I cave in to my need for instant gratification and buy the Sherwood. :D

Alan M

Second Unit
Well,

The beast is finally subdued.

After reading about the ICBM that Maggie has made by Outlaw(xovers are double value on the Maggie version),I started to fool around with the xovers on my MMGC center.120 and 150 make a huge difference.

Its now sitting at the 150 xover(center channel only)( I may try the 120 again).The MMGC is now clear, precise,and still gives me that Maggie sound that I treasure so much.The open air quality that I just couldnt seem to get from the MMGC is now present.

Is it the best center money can buy? I'd have to say nope,it isnt.Is it a good sounding center that matches the MMG's and still provides that Maggie sound at a value price? Yes and yes,it is.

The MMGC is a $300 speaker,Maggies next center is the CC3 at $950.At this point I'd have to say,for a budget center with that Maggie sound,MMGC is a bargain. If your electronics gives you options for center channel xover and your on a budget,I'd vote for the MMGC.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey 'M'......don't tell Magnepan what you're doing.....from what I understand, they've worked hard to be able to get the frequency response of their center speakers down to where they are lol

Alan M

Second Unit
Howdy Z,
Actually,Magnepan's the one that sort of ,maybe,almost ,gave me the idea.When I was talking to Wendall about the MMGC,he suggested I look into the ICBM made for Maggies.After doing some research on the Maggie version,I found that the xover values are doubled for Maggies.If,just to use a figure the ICBM is set to 100 for the center,its real xover is at 200,etc.etc.The ICBM sends Bass to the Mains rather then the sub until it reaches the Main's xover then gets sent to the sub.
This is what gave me the idea to try ,120 and 150 as a xover for the center.The ICBM,standard version starts at $250.Before I spent the money,I figured I'd try changing the xover,and woot,I'm a happy camper.:)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
'M': Well, in that case never mind lol. That guy is pretty cool....he seems like the workaholic type to me, though.....all business. I wsa talking to him about the MMG-Ws for surround and how Magnepan said they were horizontally mountable. I thought that this meant there ws some way to mount them horizontally on like a side wall as the side surrounds.....what they actually meant, though, was mounting them from the ceiling. So I told the guy that I was going to mount them about three feet down from the ceiling, horizontally, aiming slightly above the seating position. The only trick is how to secure it against gravity at the 30 degree angle. He said he'd never tried mounting them like that and to get back to him with the results. I actually put my Ws vertically in back for surrounds, but I'm going to grab another pair to go to 7.1.....and those I'll mount as I described. I have a pretty good idea how I'll do it using some industrial strength velcro squares. Anyway, I'm babbling away......sorry lol.

Nice catch on the crossover thing!

Alan M

Second Unit
Hi Z,
Thanks,it sounds good to my ears and,I guess thats what counts. ;)
Great idea for an extra pair of W's.Please let me know how it works for you.I'd be interested in doing this also.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Z, I'm also mounting my surrounds horizontally from the ceiling. To keep them at a 30 degree angle, I'm using some small hooks that came with anchors for mounting into sheetrock that I got from Home Depot, some small Xmas tree ornament hooks that I had lying around, and some monofilament fishing line. I installed the hooks from HD into the ceiling, tied a length of monofilament to it (after measuring to see what I would need for 30 degrees), then tied the ornament hook to the other end which I hooked under the edge of the wood trim at the corners of the speaker. It works well for me, and I can barely notice the hooks and line.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Dean, here I was thinking I had this original idea, and there you are having already done it lol.......oh well....at least it works! :) My plan is very similar to yours....I was just going to sew the fishing line into the top portion of a velcro square, one for each corner of the speaker to be supported. From there, I'd basically just secure it on the wall as you'd hang a picture, just with a little more slack in the line to get it to a 30 degree angle. I'm glad to know that a similar idea is workign for you.....now I'm excited to get it going :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have always wanted to own Maggies. There is nothing that is quite like the almost etherial sound that they put out. They "breathe" music into a room. I am envious of all of you that own these fine speakers.
Other than not being able to afford them I wouldn't be able to change my name ot Alan either. :frowning:
Can you imagine a 10.1 set up with Maggies all the way around the room with a 200 watt amp set up with each speaker? Talk about "being there".
Parker

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Parker:
That would definitely be a set up that I'd like to hear! The whole idea of 'being there' is the quality that has allowed me to really become fond of them with HT, just as it has for music. I truly think - now that I own a pair - that people who say they are not good for HT must prefer movies that tend to be more 'in your face' with special effects and such. I know this is a generalization, so forgive me......but a lot of folks seem to like their HTs to be massive SPL machines. There is nothing wrong with that....don't get me wrong. Obviously we all have differing tastes. But the appeal of the Maggies is just as you said.....being there. And what more important quality could a film possess, than to allow you to become involved in the film as if you are actually there?
The Maggie website talks about how their speakers have a seductive quality when it comes to HT......it's very, very true :) The funny thing is that I used to bounce from speaker to speaker every few months thinking I was getting closer and closer to what I was looking for. In reality, I was getting closer.....but what I really wanted was for the audio to make the experience more real. I could never really put my finger on it until I got these things fired up in my HT.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Packy and the "OTHER" Alans,
I am so torn between going to the hilt with a state of the art 2 channel music only system that will eventually have MG3.6R maggies, or using my existing MG1.6Q/R's, MGMC1's, and MGCC3 speakers in an above average HT system. I can't afford both!!
Before we moved in to the new house, those maggies along with my PC-Ultra and PRO-620HD Elite made for one hell of a HT experience. I now have the SVS and Elite in the family room along with 5 new 600 series B&W speakers and it makes for a very nice HT experience. My 1.6's are downstairs in what will soon become a music and/or HT room that will probably be built within a month or so. I have added a MartinLogan Depth sub to my 2 big maggies for a very nice 2 channel experience!! The rest of my maggies are packed away and not being used. In fact, I have them for sale.
Someone needs to help decide what is my next step!! High end 2 channel or above average HT....and the high end 2 channel can come later?? I want it all, and I want it now, but, I have champagne taste on a beer budget!! ;)
Parker...welcome to the Alan club!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey 'P'......."beer budget" my ass lol YOu've got more gear in your place right now than I've ever owned total!

Seriously, I'm interested to see what you end up doing.....I imagine those 3.6s with the true ribbon tweeter probably sound pretty amazing with music. I know you aren't thinking of them for HT, but I do remember reading a professional review recently (I'm sure it can easily be found at ecousitcs.com) where he had 3.6s, 1.6s, and a CC3 in a 5.1 configuration and he was pretty excited about it. Not trying to make your decision any harder, but MAN would an HT with 3.6s as the anchor sound SWEET! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks