Maelstrom Amp Configuration

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wayne_D, May 16, 2003.

1. Wayne_D

Wayne_D Agent

Hey all, sorry to post a questions that is so much like my last post...but i am haveing a difficult time deciding on my diy sub project...

My question is..what would be a better configuration?

two Maelstrom drivers sharing 1180watts, or four Maelstrom drivers sharing 1440watts..

this is for a 90/10 hometheater/music system....any sized box/boxes configeration? would prefer sono tube..

i am looking for Huge output, for movies, movies, movies!!!

Please help, and i thank everyone for taking time to help me with this project! [​IMG]

2. Wayne_D

Wayne_D Agent

i guess no body had an opinion

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Oh, definitely 4 Maelstroms sharing 1440 watts. I have a single Mael on 350 watts and it is plenty because the driver sensitivity is way up there.

I went with 10 cu ft tuned to 21Hz but that is on the large end so you could go with a smaller size if room is a concern (which I imagine it might be if you go with 4 [​IMG]

I guarantee you that 4 Maelstroms with 1440 watts will give you the Huge output, for movies, movies, movies!!! you are after! [​IMG]

4. DerrickW

DerrickW Stunt Coordinator

Search for one of my posts within the last few months that showed several maelstrom designs. But no matter whatever enclosure you go with, 1180 for 2 drivers is way too much power. 4 drivers on 1440 will be louder and utilize the power in a safer way too.

5. Wayne_D

Wayne_D Agent

Kyle Richardson thanks alot..is your sub the one that you have taken a picture of your two childeren in the unfinished box?

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Yeah, those are the rugrats and I even let them out of it on special occasions![​IMG]