What's new

Madly in love with HT System (1 Viewer)

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
I accept I am newly and madly in love with HT System. I just bought an LCD TV, thus I need to compliment it with a good HT System. My budget is up to $3,000 and this should go with subwoofer, center speaker, Left and Right Speakers, Amplifier and two surround speakers.

Please help me find my ultimate happiness. Thank you.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If it was me buying, this is what I would do:

For speaker system, including sub, I'd buy these (and maybe stands too):
SVSound - Complete Systems
For receiver, I'd buy this:
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR876 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Audio & Video
For BD player, I'd go with one of these:
Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S350 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player: Audio & Video
or
Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray Player: Audio & Video
or maybe a ps3, since it does more than just BD movies.
Check out HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! for HDMI and any other cables you need.
This would make a very good system. Just my $.02 worth. I'm sure others will make different suggestions.
Good luck!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Thanks a lot Ed, indeed your suggestion is a big help for me. Hope I can return back the favor someday.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I won't recommend anything directly (you need to listen to speakers yourself). I will say this about the budget. Spend way more on the speakers then the receiver. For the speaker budget, start with a good subwoofer and build from there. And do not overspend on cables. Monster and the likes are overpriced.

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Its a pity that SVS will not ship their product outside U.S. While there is one dealer of SVS in my country, yet the price is almost double. I have shipped several items from Amazon.com yet they did not carry SVS products.

Any Advice!

celica

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Celica
your suggestion was really helpful..

thanks, when i have the budget i'll go for it..

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
I am a Lawyer and I'm setting up a HT System since I know it will surely give me the needed relaxation after my hectic job.

Wired One

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeffrey
SVS does ship outside the US. I just left their web-site and several times they mentioned shipping products worldwide. Have you checked with them here in the US about shipping to your area?

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
Hi Lito! Kabayan..It's good to hear somebody from my own country who is also into this hobby and a member of this great forum. I'm from Pampanga..I currently have Denon AVR 1907 and Def Tech Procinema 800. I'm pretty satisfied with it.With your current budget, you'll surely be able to come up with a good sounding system, pity, we cannot always buy what we want in our country though.

Try to contact this:

Sounds N Images
2nd Floor MLD Building
Banilad Street
Cebu City, Philippines 6000
Tel: 0917-321-2079; 261-2980
E-mail: [email protected]

If you travel to Luzon, try visiting this also, they carry Atlantic Technology speakers among others:

The Listening Room
Phone: (632) 632-9577

Good luck on your project!
Rick

rick_da

Agent
Real Name
ricardo
btw, if you opt for the SVS and you've mentioned that there is a local distributor there, go for it! You will incur the same cost (shipping, customs duty, tax) anyway if you choose to have them shipped to Cebu, Philippines.

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Rick, Kabayan, Thanks for your information. Just like you, I'm also elated to know that you are a member of this very respectable and helpful forum.

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Because of my difficulty of having SVS I'm thinking of purchasing Onkyo HT-S9100THX which is already a complete series 7.1 with receiver and subwoofer and seven speakers.

Can you give me your honest opinion. Thanks.

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Finally I have completed my HT set up. Thanks for all the advises. Here's what I purchased:

Receiver - Onkyo SR 607
Sub - Paradigm DSP 3200
Front speakers - Warfdale
Surround speakers - Bose 201
Center speaker - Bose

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
If it isn't too late I would return either the center speaker or the left and front right speakers. The one place you cannot mix and match speaker brands (or even models) is in that front trio. If those do not match in sound quality the front soundstage will be "off" - the sound will change as it pans from left to right and you will notice and find this distracting. Most manufacturers sell timbre-matched sets designed to be used for the front three speakers in an HT setup. (The center speaker is basically the same as the LF and RF speakers, with the drivers mounted horizontally rather than vertically.)

For movies and multi-channel audio it is more important that the speakers work together as a unit than that each individual speaker be the best you can come up with. (Ideally even the surrounds should be from the same manufacturer, at a minimum, although you can get away with a bit more since they are used less and ambient sound is supposed to sound a bit different than direct sound.)

But you really need to go with matched Bose (which I would not recommend as they likely over-priced) or match Warfdales if at all possible. Whoever sold you the package did you a disservice by not telling you so - but since that person was probably commission, it was in his or her interest to sell you the most expensive speakers, not the right speakers for your application. (Am I correct in guessing that you were steered towards and all-Bose system, but couldn't fit it in your budget?)

Regards,

Joe

Saida

Grip
Real Name
Lito Astillero
Thanks Joe for your comment. I was not really led into buying bose. My first option was B & W but its way my budget. I was also thinking of Bose as my front speakers but Bose has only Bookshelf type which I don't like as a front speaker.

At any rate, Im still observing my system and I will heed your advice if I'm not anymore contented with my present set-up.

P.S. Give my regards to your cute niece the Goofy Face

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks