Madagascar DVD won't play on my Toshiba...any reported problems with disc?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have tried to play Madagascar on my 1997 (2nd generation) Toshiba DVD player and it just sits and says "loading" and goes nowhere. It plays fine in my Apex unit. Have already traded disc and both have done the same.

Is there a know problem and/or security that older players don't recognize and is there a fix?

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

This has Macrovision's RipGuard on it, so I'd blame that.

My Pioneer DVL-909 (made in 1998) hasn't had any problems with copy-protected discs (yet, at least) but I can always tell which discs have it because before the movie starts, the display will read "SEARCH" about 5 times before actual playback. This is pretty stupid; there's no reason to copy a DVD anyways unless it goes out of print.

3. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I have seen the new copy protection logos on Warner, Paramount, and others and all play perfectly fine on the old Toshiba. This is the very first disc I have encountered out of my 750 that's done it. Got to be something "different" with this one?

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The symbol with the disc and the slash through it just means it's CSS protected, which most DVDs have been since they were introduced. Macrovision has put additional protection on newer titles though that makes them harder to rip on a computer; Sony has a similar system that they seem to have developed themselves on their new titles. Again, it just amounts to annoyances for paying customers.

5. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    I am bringing this thread back to the top since I got no real reply to my problem. i even contacted Universal/Dreamworks several times via their e-mail and got no reply???

Eric

6. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Sorry I cant help you, but I will say any disc playing problems Ive had, were always on a Toshiba player.

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Same here. My original 1997 Toshiba had problems with a lot of the newer discs as well as audio problems on a TON of discs.

It (most likely) is a software issue with the player. That's what was wrong with mine. They suggested a software update, but it was just cheaper to buy a new one at that point.

p.s. If you look at other thread, there are lots of people that have problems with early (i.e. 1997-ish) Toshibas.

8. RandyMathis

RandyMathis Stunt Coordinator

I saw the movie.

Consider yourself lucky.