What's new

MAD WORLD - sloppy presentation on DVD (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tino -
All I can say is that my dad and I saw that something was missing. If THAT version we saw back in '69 was even less than what was originally presented, then that's even more reason to wait for the complete, original version.
In the end, we're once again talking about wanting the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL PRESENTATION. We want it the way the director intended.
And again, I have plenty of DVD's to watch (250+ unviewed discs in a collection of 858), so it's not like I'm so bored I have to pick it up now.
I will wait. I would just like to know if I'm actually waiting for something, or if I should cross it off my list.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Sorry, but as I don't have a widescreen TV, I don't really care if the DVD is "anamorphic" or not. What I care about is getting somethng that matches the quality of what I saw on LD, and giving me a shorter version and then being dumb enough to leave out the Overture is a worthless version from my standpoint. I'll be saving my money and watching only the LD which is the only version of the film worth watching at present.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tino,
No, I will not be buying this DVD.
Please, understand, anyone that saw the
original laserdisc Special Edition will have
a hard time ever watching this movie in its
shortened form again.
I will, however, be celebrating the DVD
release by popping in my laserdisc Special
Edition.
This is no slam against MGM, but I am
(as MGM correctly calls it) very passionate
about this film. It truly is one of the
few gems in their library that's left.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll buy this disc based on the positive comments about it. I do have the laserdisc box set which I've not seen in a while. The extras sound like they might be the same, particularly the documentary. So the only advantage of having the DVD is picture quality. The longer version I can see on the LD.
To me the Jonathan Winters gas station scene is a side splitter and worth the cost of the disc.
After reading Harris letter on the other forum though, I wonder how much better the road show version is. I grew up seeing it on TV so I have no idea what the roadshow version is. Other then it's longer.
Nelson

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Have you compared the new anamorphically enhanced DVD version against the laserdisc version before making that claim?
No I haven't. And let me apologize for not being as clear as I could be.
In my opinion, a absolutely beautiful transfer of 90% of a film will never look as good as a decent transfer of 100% of a film. Just like I'd rather see a good transfer of an OAR than a beautiful transfer of a p&s. Different things, but the same principle to me.
I realize we disagree about this, and I'm not even going to spoil your other thread by chiming in there. :) As I said before, enjoy watching 90% of the film, while I enjoy watching 100% of it (OK, 99% until a real restoration is done, but still MORE of this great film than you are seeing).
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
There's no going back, guys. The longer laserdisc/VHS version of IAMMMMW takes me back to the time I first saw the movie on television in the 70's, when at least some of the footage deleted from the general release was included.
The laserdisc special edition looks just fine and dandy through the iScan Pro on the digital television.
Sorry, but $15 is too much to spend for a version of a movie that I can no longer bear to watch.
- Steve
------------------

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Actually George, the aspect ratio of the DVD is wider(2.55:1) than the LD(2.35:1) so, in effect I am seeing MORE than you are. :)
But that's O.K. Until a complete Roadshow restoration is done, I'll enjoy 100% of this wonderful looking and sounding SE DVD while you enjoy your inferior looking and sounding LD "Stop Gap" mish mash version of the film.
Like they say..different strokes.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
[Edited last by Tino on September 18, 2001 at 08:23 PM]

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
What a circular argument this becomes.
I think I am coming from a somewhat rare place, in that I have never seen ANY version of Mad World, aside from the long version presented on the LD
And let's not forget that MGM released this cut on VHS in widescreen (or some semblance of widescreen)
I once found an OLD P+S VHS of the short version,
I watched maybe 20 minutes of it, switching back and forth between it and the laser to see the differences.
after 20 minutes I simply couldnt be bothered looking at what a train wreck this film was in pan and scan and slashed down in running time.
Now there is a part of me that wants to get this disc - more for the flip side - the BONUS scenes, the outtakes that havent been seen before - if anything THAT is worth the price of the disc for me, but I will wait until somebody breaks them down, saying what they are, and that sort of thing.
I'm sure that the short version looks stunning, and that if you like the short version, or can stand it, then I am happy for you and wish I could enjoy it too, because it is now on offer.
But I know that I would be too distracted wondering where scenes I am used to have gone to truly sit there and enjoy the film.
no matter how great it looks.
I will have to hope that MGM can afford to do the restoration someday, and that will truly be an amazing thing. And something that I think everyone will support. Until then I will have to enjoy my laserdisc - as I have for nearly 7 years - it was one of the first 3 discs I got when I got my player (had never heard of the film, but the idea of missing footage was irresistable to me at the time)
I think until then with my limited disc buying dollars, Ill have to get one of the 70 or so other titles that I desperately want between now and christmas =)

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, thanks for the explanation. I appreciate your honesty about the reason you deleted your posts. I couldn't help but be concerned given your comments about MGM and their quick disappearance...I thought maybe they leaned on you or something...
------------------

L. W. Cobb

Agent
Based on members replies to this topic, I'll be satisfied with my LD version. A marginal improvement in image quality isn't enough to make me buy the DVD. At the very least, I was hoping for a DVD duplicate of the LD Box Set version. Let's hope someone can find the footage that would make this film complete, and enable an SE DVD in the future.
[Edited last by L. W. Cobb on September 21, 2001 at 04:04 AM]

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
Being a college student, I haven't yet had the time to thoroughly examine the DVD (I will do so this weekend), but from what I saw, the extra footage is cute, but does not really add or take away from the film. The excellent documentary and picture quality make me give the disc a thumbs up, and I will be satisfied with my VHS of the longer cut until MGM revisits the title. Just like Ron, I am extremely passionate about this film, and I don't care how many times I have to buy it.
Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks