What's new

Mad Men Season 6 (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Scott Hanson said:
You should try 'Rectify'. Puts 'Mad Men' to shame in that regard, IMHO.
It's a great show, definitely. 5 episodes isn't enough for me to make a fair comparison, however. I'm glad it was renewed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I still haven't watched Rectify yet* so I can't speak to it but I watch and enjoy alot of TV and the only show that I can even remotely imagine trying to make an argument about being as good or better than Mad Men is Breaking Bad.

* A situation that I plan on rectifying soon (puns are so funny).

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Josh Dial said:
It's a great show, definitely. 5 episodes isn't enough for me to make a fair comparison, however. I'm glad it was renewed.
I'm just glad to see there's actually someone else on here other than me watching it. :)
TravisR said:
^ I still haven't watched Rectify yet* so I can't speak to it but I watch and enjoy alot of TV and the only show that I can even remotely imagine trying to make an argument about being as good or better than Mad Men is Breaking Bad.
If we're just comparing the overall quality of the shows, personally I don't think Mad Men is in the same league as Breaking Bad. But to Josh's point, if we're just comparing based on depth of the characters, etc, then I think Mad Men is in the conversation. I sometimes somewhat facetiously say 'Mad Men' at times is nothing more than a well-written, well-acted soap opera set in the 1960's. :P

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
If we're just comparing the overall quality of the shows, personally I don't think Mad Men is in the same league as Breaking Bad. But to Josh's point, if we're just comparing based on depth of the characters, etc, then I think Mad Men is in the conversation. I sometimes somewhat facetiously say 'Mad Men' at times is nothing more than a well-written, well-acted soap opera set in the 1960's. :P
For what it's worth, I think Breaking Bad is the superior show too but I still can see someone arguing in favor of Mad Men.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Was it all a Vietnam allusion? Is Chevy SDCP's Vietnam.. ? Interesting analysis here:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/05/20/mad_men_season_6_episode_8_the_crash_is_scdp_fighting_its_vietnam.html
That’s where most of the episode takes place, with Draper, Chaough, and co. faced with an uphill, years-long battle—to conquer the apparently impossible demands of the Chevrolet—that they’re deluding themselves they can win. On some level they all seem to know they can’t do it. Early on, someone notes that they need to recruit more men. But instead they press on with blind optimism, on the grounds of what they see as their heretofore perfect record. That’s how Don sees it, anyway: “In my heart I know we cannot be defeated,” he says, in a delirious rallying speech that seems oddly hawkish for an ad agency. Some say their work will take several years, he explains, but all it will really take is an idea. If only they could figure out what that idea was.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
Well, ignoring the fact that it appears this show just isn't for you, why would you even try to watch season 6 of a show, without first making it through all 5 previous seasons? This is easily the most dense, complex, difficult show on television. You can't pick it up near the very end of its run and expect anything other than disappointment.

Again, though, going from your previous posts (I think this is the third time you've pointed out how you have tried and failed to get into the show), I don't think this show is for you (which is perfectly fine--that's why there are other fine shows to watch!).
Like I said, don't want to ruin the thread, just expressing my opinion. It's obviously a very popular show, but I'll stay out of this thread forever more. Not meant sarcastically even though it probably came off that way.

Thanks, Josh

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Interesting and unusual to be sure. But judging from the lack of real work that got done, I'm glad we won't be subjected to any more "B-12 shots" in subsequent episodes.

Grandma Ida definitely scared the crap out of me. Trying to think what I would have done as a kid if confronting someone like that in my house. I likely would have believed all of it. It was a more innocent era. And when I was growing up (in the South), we never locked our house doors at night or any time. Amazing to think about now.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Matt Hough said:
Trying to think what I would have done as a kid if confronting someone like that in my house. I likely would have believed all of it. It was a more innocent era.
Plus she was able to state Don's name which must have gone a long way in Sally's mind.

Regarding this week's episode, I like the audio detail of hearing sirens almost any time a window is open to show how the city is becoming the nightmarish hellscape that it was in the 1970's.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
It's easy to forget today how much of a mess NYC was. Poor Peggy...I guess she won't be making a mint off that brownstone after all.

I'm still stunned at the powerful presence of Betty and effective performance of January Jones. Typically, when we have a Betty sighting it is not good for the show. She was incredible this episode. Full of confidence with her restored looks and brutally honest and insightful with Don. Ouch.

And, what is going on with Bob "Bunson"?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quentin said:
I'm still stunned at the powerful presence of Betty and effective performance of January Jones. Typically, when we have a Betty sighting it is not good for the show. She was incredible this episode. Full of confidence with her restored looks and brutally honest and insightful with Don. Ouch.
Since he's undoubtedly done it to other people, I enjoyed seeing Don be the one who is expecting one thing and gets 'dumped' instead.

And, what is going on with Bob "Bunson"?
Not that they're going down this road but am I think Bob Benson is actually the Zodiac killer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A very startling change for January Jones' Betty. Wow! What a transformation! Really took me by surprise, and I did like that she was enjoying turning heads again.

Much bizarre interpersonal behavior in this episode. The wacky times reflected in the office's various employees, and the lesbian moment was straight out of a soap opera of a much later era, of course.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Think about how easy it would be for Roger to go after child custody for his son now, versus then, with DNA testing easily verifying the parentage. Then, more of a complicated issue.

Solid episode, though.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I also really enjoyed the Don and Betty interaction. Television viewers are typically sent the blunt force message that any confidence gained through physical beauty is artificial and shallow. The message I took from this episode is that Betty's confidence is tied to her appearance AND that the confidence is real. She used her confidence to correctly form the insight of what makes Don tick (as well as the guy at the political benefit) and she had control of both situations. Even more masterfully, the guy at the benefit knew he lost immediately, while I thought Don thought he was in control until their pillow talk and her comment about pitying Megan right before Betty f@cked Don again. (Purposeful subject, object and profanity usage.) Betty was in control. I also think the final scene with Don admitting to Megan that something was wrong actually showed a glimmer of hope that Don evolved and that Betty was the reason for it. Fantastic.

And did Pete evolve from his conversation with Duck Phillips telling him that to fix his business, he needs to fix his family?

Finally, The Stabbing! Excellent, excellent, excellent!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Interesting piece last night, and I'm sure everyone will be talking about Don's near-death experience and what it means, particularly with Megan there. I think last week's bit about her in Sharon Tate's t-shirt simply identified Megan as someone with her ear to the ground on fashion, not foreshadowing her death. But then they go ahead and include her in Don's death vision (for lack of a better word).

Loved the writing, especially between Roger and Danny, showing just how clueless Roger has become regarding the new generation. He was all wrong about the west coast clients and he was pushing all the wrong buttons at the party. He looked out of time in his blue blazer at a party populated by hippies.

I also thought the attention to and commentary on the 1968 Democratic Convention was spot on. Again, great writing there.

Also very clever how they have the new partners setting up to usurp Sterling Cooper's name and dominant the business.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sam Favate said:
Interesting piece last night, and I'm sure everyone will be talking about Don's near-death experience and what it means, particularly with Megan there.
What was the song that was playing during that scene (after Don smoked hash)? I recognized Harper Valley P.T.A. and, obviously, The Big Brother And The Holding Company song but that other tune seemed so familiar but I can't remember what it is.

EDIT: I remembered. It's the Fly Bi-Nites "Found Love".

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I usually don't like Pete on the show*, but I find it ironic that he's now (for once, accurately) predicting a war going on within the new business and this is the one time that he just gives up and ends up taking the joint at the end.

Edit:

*Actually, let me rephrase, I think he's great at being a character that I don't like, not that I don't like his presence per se.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Joe_H said:
I usually don't like Pete on the show*, but I find it ironic that he's now (for once, accurately) predicting a war going on within the new business and this is the one time that he just gives up and ends up taking the joint at the end.
I didn't see it that way. At least the "accurately" part. It seemed to me Pete was (as usual) being overly dramatic, as evidenced by the quick resolution to the company name change.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Scott Hanson said:
I didn't see it that way. At least the "accurately" part. It seemed to me Pete was (as usual) being overly dramatic, as evidenced by the quick resolution to the company name change.
Hmm, maybe. I saw the name change thing as Cutler's "giving them something to be distracted by." Don't get me wrong, he definitely overreacted to Joan in some aspects, but for the general theme of internal strife between the formerly separate agencies, he seemed to be calling correctly in his little spiel of "you weren't here, things are changing."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks