What's new

Mad Men - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, comic books were about $0.12-$0.15 each, and they are now about $3-$4, so it could be a 10x-30x inflationary multiplier needed to convert 1965 dollars to 2010 dollars. (I know, not at all scientific, just guestimating).

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved the way everyone poo-poo'd the American Cancer Society.. "it's just prestige" little do they know it probably goes on to be one of the most influential advertisers.. and since cigarettes don't get air time (banned, August 1, 1965..) then it becomes the ACS who starts their first big batches of ads that year; and of course a huge campaign to end the sixties.. and early seventies.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
With the agency circling the drain, you would think any work coming in the door would be good news regardless of how "small" it might be. When Pete crapped on the ACS, I found that very odd. Do good work for them and you show a public organization has confidence in your agency. More people will knock on your door and you diversify your client base.

By the way...if you're in a position like this, you RETURN EVERY SINGLE CALL YOU GET. It would be like an unemployed person not responding to an e-mail or message from a potential new employer. That makes no sense to me. (Yes, there's always the chance the call is a prank, but can Don afford not to at least check it out? Nope.)

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yeah...Don spent a lot of money last night. But, to his credit he IS loaded and very liquid.

Besides...it's only collateral. He won't lose it unless the company goes down...which is doubtful.

I loved that Megan (of all people!) and Peggy were the ones who understood what he did.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
this site has a converter to the right:

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/

i think that 10 was = to 70 today and the 130 in his pocket was 900

even more astounding is that 50k was 350,000

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR

Just a point: My father bought his Mustang1, new on the lot in 1967 for $1,700.

Having worked in automobile finance from 1961 to 1970 that price seems too low (unless someone died in while parked on the lot). My first new car was a 1959 VW with moon roof. The price was $1,695.00 plus tax and registration. My memory is sketchy on the Mustang but I think the first Mustang introduced in late 1963 had a base (no frills) price of around $2,300 to $2,500.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I had the year wrong. It was a 1965, and it was $2,700, but a he somehow he paid $1,850 all said and done and left the lot. So, I was wrong

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Really? That was the season finale? Meh. Don's loins got the best of him once again. Mr. Francis might have to lose Betty to regain his own sense of serenity. Couldn't believe they addressed Megan's teeth.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the moment that got Don was the milkshake. He was so used to the way his normal high maintenance women would react (Betty), that when she maintained calm in the storm he knew then that is what he was after. Someone he could control, but who would stay calm and reasonable.

Meanwhile, what Peggy saw was that the way to rise in the company was through sex, and she was put off.. her major announcement of new business seemed trump-carded by something that added nothing to the bottom line.

And of course, how can we overlook Jane discussing her pregnancy with her husband.. apparently passing it off as her being farther along, or it being his..

There appears to be hope with SDCP. American Cancer Society is a real potential account. And, with new business walking in the door, there is a chance to get rid of the circling the drain stigma.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by mattCR
I think the moment that got Don was the milkshake. He was so used to the way his normal high maintenance women would react (Betty), that when she maintained calm in the storm he knew then that is what he was after. Someone he could control, but who would stay calm and reasonable.

Absolutely agreed. I think this episode really showed the difference between Betty and Megan. Betty flies off the handle just because she can while Megan is more grounded, human and calmer. The moment the milkshake was spilled and Don began to get upset, Megan was able to calm him down instantly by saying "it's only a milkshake." That's the kind of woman Don needs, not someone who yells, screams and ends up being high maintenance.

It also struck me how...bitchy...Betty has become this year. Yeah, she's been through a lot, but the woman is never happy. When an episode goes to the Francis household, I don't like being there. It's uncomfortable since you never know what she's going to blow up over. It makes sense showing the atmosphere in the house every week to remind everyone what was going on, but it also does a disservice to January Jones who becomes one note.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
^ The kids. Faye was not very at ease with Sally earlier in the season. I think she said something along the lines of she didn't do kids or somesuch. I don't think Don ever saw Faye as a "mother figure." More of someone for him instead of for his entire family.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Jason_V

^ The kids. Faye was not very at ease with Sally earlier in the season. I think she said something along the lines of she didn't do kids or somesuch.

She was speaking as a professional psychologist, when Don asked her to talk to Sally. I'd want to rewatch the episodes to be sure, but as I recall, Faye's interactions with Sally on a personal level were just fine. Don never gave her the chance to be in a family situation with the kids, but he leapt straight to a marriage proposal after one weekend with Megan. There's more to it, and something about that final exchange between Joan and Peggy keeps nagging at me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There was a lot in the final act of the show, including Joan's conversation with her husband (I forget his name right now). I do think Joan is getting disillusioned with the workplace at this point, with her promotion in title only. That's why she mentioned deriving joy from something outside of the office.

I'm still of the opinion Don thinks Megan is better for his kids, and enough of a change from Betty for him, than Faye. Maybe it was how Megan jumped at the chance to interact with them while Faye seemed to have been keeping her distance. Maybe Faye looks too much like Betty. I don't know for sure.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Agreed that the key was the milkshake spill. Don had a moment of serendipity when Megan had a completely un-Betty reaction to it. No doubt this built on the moment a few episodes ago when Megan comforted Sally when she fell at the office.

Of course, the serendipity did not include any thought about the consequences of spurning an intelligent woman who knows his deepest secrets and has a father apparently connected to organized crime, but these things are rarely all-encompassing.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess mixed into all of this is the disintegration of the American family in terms of divorces and re-marriages. This show does do a good job conveying the happenstances that occur to make such shifts from more "stable" home lives of the basic American family unit up until the late 1950s (1 dad, 1 mom, 2 kids, and a nanny/housekeeper) to more fractured ones in the 1960s where it becomes more and more common.

I think just being on the west coast in the shadow of Anna's premature demise shook Don to his lonely core, and Megan was just literally at the right place and right time for Don (with his children) to take another leap for love. But what does Don really know about Megan, beside her calm disposition and being basically the antithesis of all things Betty? I thought it was quite telling how much Megan came alive when speaking in her native language with her mother, when she is much more demure in other situations we've seen of her this season.

This plot turn in Don's personal life reminded me a bit of this season of "The 500 Days of Don" for Faye, which had similar plot turns for her, perhaps.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

But what does Don really know about Megan, beside her calm disposition and being basically the antithesis of all things Betty? I thought it was quite telling how much Megan came alive when speaking in her native language with her mother, when she is much more demure in other situations we've seen of her this season.

Isn't getting engaged quickly somewhat common for that era though? I figured it was just par for the course that you'd find some things out about a person after getting engaged. I would assume for the sake of drama, there's going to be problems with Don marrying Megan so fast but I think for that time that it's not as sudden as it would seem today.

And I might be misremembering but I think they've said that Don married Betty pretty fast too.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben ).

Dr. Miller wasn't really as comfortable with the kids.. and Don had no idea how she'd react to a baby. Meanwhile, Sally and the kids really liked Megan, from the beginning, from the moment Sally showed up in the office on. I think that's what hit Don.

I also think Dr. Miller wasn't an ideal choice in that Don viewed her as a "career woman", and not someone who could be a homemaker. He viewed Megan as someone who would be a homemaker for his kids. Meanwhile, with a high powered job, Dr. Miller would never be the "stay at home with the kids, present to the clients" type of partner he wants.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
plus megan has already shown that she understands advertising the same way don does and its someone he can talk to work about too, not just house hold things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks