What's new

Mad Men - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I think Roger and Don remembered what happened to Sal after crossing Mr. Lucky Strike.

Don is one cold man, but we've seen that before.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved how she laid out the Elizabeth Taylor ponds ads as "this is how it should go...." I'm wondering how big a role Peg is going to get, I love everything about her storylines.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It's tough to stand on principle when the vast majority of your business is funded by one account. In that situation, it rang true to me that Roger caved. It also rang true to me that Don didn't speak up, though I've no doubt he wouldn't have donned the suit were the spotlight on him. Don would have smooth talked his way out of it, even when faced with the pressure of possibly losing the account. Don may have taken over someone's life, but his success is his own. He's smart, and he's cool under pressure.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Well...he WAS smart and cool under pressure. Right now, he's pretty much a messy drunk...'pathetic' was a great way to describe him. He is FAR from on top of his game - otherwise he'd be bangin' Phoebe AND the Doctor woman AND the debutante. But, they all spurn him easily. He's become obvious and pathetic and a drunk.

And, cruel to boot with the way he treated his poor secretary.

I wonder if the Doctor woman is right - if he WILL be re-married within a year?

adamfarren

Agent
Real Name
Adam Farren
He is FAR from on top of his game - otherwise he'd be bangin' Phoebe AND the Doctor woman AND the debutante. But, they all spurn him easily. He's become obvious and pathetic and a drunk.

I agree, far from the top of his game and surprising to see him rejected by the Doctor woman, as you call her. But, Don's been on a constant downward spiral since the beginning of the show (don't the credits show that after all?) but somehow always gives the impression to everyone else that he's solidly on his feet

What I find interesting in this season so far is how much focus they are putting on his personal darkness. In previous seasons the focus was on the successful pitch, the girl he got, the glamor and success. This season its about the nights he goes home alone, his frustrations and the firm's early struggles, most of all his coldness towards women and his sad estrangement from his family.

I think it's a master stroke by the writer to focus so much on his hero's humanity and vulnerability. It's all about probing and potentially, disproving the show's basic premise that in America, you can have a fake identity, a broken home life, little moral character or regard for other people, but if you succeed in business you will have respect and admiration from everyone around you.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don's forehead vein had me thinking he was going to have an aneurysm when he was hugging Anna goodbye.

I think I'll have to try a Godzilla movie to ring in the new year...

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
"Dick + Anna 1964". A sweet declaration of love or an epitaph?

I think Anna's passing is also the final passing of Dick Whitman. Only Don Draper will remain and he's starting out as low as it goes. But, his battle between 'what he wants vs. what's expected of him' should end with him giving the inimitable Don Draper a solidified identity. I'm just not sure what that will be.

Boy, Joanie's husband is a tool who treats her like a child or an ornament. She's also stuck in a crappy place.

Lane and Don on the town in what amounts to an evening of hilarious ribaldry combined with pitiful loneliness was some of the best TV of the year. I don't know what was funnier - Lane barking pidgin Japanese in the theater or his Texas belt buckle rant!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Godzilla scene joins the Lawnmower scene from S3 as one of the best combinations of tragic/comedy. There are shows nominated for "Best Comedy" that don't have moments that good. Estimating the percentage of attendees getting handjobs? Classic

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Methinks the fleeting reference last episode to the deteriorating state of the company's finances portends things are going to get worse for Don and co.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I believe it was Gamera and not Godzilla that they were watching (even though Gamera didn't come out until the end of 1965 in Japan and the end of 1996 in the US).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terrific episode. Lots of great comedy, and plenty of serious moments too. Don's visit to California was heartbreaking; is there anyone else who will remember Dick Whitman once his friend Anna isn't there anymore?

adamfarren

Agent
Real Name
Adam Farren

I agree, a classic episode. I like how Hamm can flip the switch from the furrowed brow of Draper to the aw-shucks smile of Whitman so readily.

Methinks the fleeting reference last episode to the deteriorating state of the company's finances portends things are going to get worse for Don and co.

I actually took the opposite interpretation as Lane said "things remain precarious but its been a magnificent year." As a young startup they are on precarious footing but they are bringing in clients and revenue which bodes well for their future. However the previews of next week, which included lots of Pete Campbell after none of him this week, seemed to indicate storm clouds for the new agency so I'm interested to see what happens!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Brilliant. And Campbell pulling the reach saying "we've got to drop Clearisil, but I gave you a grandkid, what I want is the whole bag" that was a great moment that shows both Pete the opportunist and dick that we all thought him to be.

The divide between Pete & Peggy, with Peggy trying to stay open and keep her youth, to capture that time she feels she has lost, compared to Pete in his race into being in with the 'old boys' with a full family and establishment is such a great contrast.

This season really shows how good this damn show is.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don's new secretary wrestling with Pete over the gift made me LOL, that new secretary cracks me up.

"White Hair" => Sterling

And of course Betty made Sally's issue all about Betty.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I still can't believe Don's new secretary was also the Karate Kid's mom (Randee Heller) in the 1980s.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
You've got to think that Jane is punishing him for banging the old secretary by keeping her there. But this episode had some great moments:

* The Psychiatrist easily grasping that Betty is a spoiled kid, too

* Don pulling the wool over.. that moment, with the check, ranks as one of the best Don moments ever, right up there with the boardroom when Duck tried to outflank him and lost. Maybe he's getting his swagger back.

* The fact that Don was the only one to actually read the book - and understand how to use it to his advantage

The Bluray had better have the "incredibly AWESOME" commercial Ted shot, just for giggles, that bankrupted his ad company. Such a great move by Don. Do they now try to raid screwed over GCG? Loved the appearance of one of the wonder twins talking to Ted also.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I know a lot of places are inferring she was molested. There have defintiely been moments in S3 where I guess you could get there.. it wouldn't be a stretch for the writers. But I don't think so. I think she was just creeped out by him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks