What's new

Mad Men Season 3 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
"Patio" pepsi lasted on the market for all of 6 months, it was taken off the market and re-named "Diet Pepsi" in 1964.. this was in response to Coca-Cola releasing it's product "Tab" in 1963, which proved far more successful then "Patio" as easier to market to women. Tab had two really successful ad campaigns in the 1960s.. "Be a Mind Sticker" and "Keep a Tab on you!" which were both a good way to market the idea that "tab" was about keeping a running tab on your calorie intake.

Pepsi's Patio proved too difficult to attract women, and so Pepsi went very blunt to respond with "Diet Pepsi" Coke, refusing to alter it's signature name brand, didn't offer "Diet Coke" until 1982.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Did anyone else focus on the date of Maggie Sterling's wedding? That's going to be one gloomy affair.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I noticed it and thought it was a bit too cute, so I'm not thinking about it.

Then again, supposedly that day was very popular for weddings, as are most weekends preceding thanksgiving.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR

I noticed it and thought it was a bit too cute, so I'm not thinking about it.
My first reaction as well, but then I remembered that everyone was just going about their lives as usual, with no idea of what was about to happen. This whole season has some of that quality of the Hitchcock example of two people sitting at a table talking about baseball, while the camera shows the audience that there's a bomb ticking beneath the table.

The meetings with the Penn Station guys have a similar effect, since in later years the demolition of the original Penn Station will come to be viewed as one of the great architectural sacrileges of the 20th century. Kinsey might as well be speaking the verdict of history.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I liked how this episode handled Peggy's story in a kind of staccato fashion with brief scenes sketching in her mounting personal and professional frustration leading to a physical outlet followed by back to business professionalism in the last scene. The fact that the commercial breaks occured after Peggy scenes actually underlined this arc.

Regards,

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
The wedding date certainly sets the table for the end of the season.

I'm not sure I get the scene with Don touching the grass and zoning out as he watched the teacher doing her spring dance. Anyone care to take a shot?

Seeing Bets dad deal with Alzheimer's was a real bummer. And, they don't even have a name for it in 1963.

I'm most curious to see what comes between Don and the London group. He pulls his magic and they dump the account? That just doesn't fly in Don's universe. I wonder if he'll pull a side job...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
He was was using the grass as a conduit to touch her or be connected to her. A beautiful but sad kind of scene that shows his desires haven't changed all that much despite his resolve to stay faithful to his family.

I remember an episode of Star Trek: TNG when Riker was describing looking up at the moon every night and believing Troi was looking at it as well and that being the way they were connected across a great distance.

This case was less romantic but the same idea.

I'm not sure I get the scene with Don touching the grass and zoning out as he watched the teacher doing her spring dance. Anyone care to take a shot?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ep. 2 didn't feel like it was a very "important" episode, all things considered, but there were two moments that stuck out to me for how funny they were:

—Peggy imitating Ann-Margret in "Bye Bye Birdie"
—The maypole dance music, because it's one of the stock cues in rotation on "SpongeBob SquarePants."

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

Did anyone else focus on the date of Maggie Sterling's wedding? That's going to be one gloomy affair.
Though they hit us over the head with it when they zoomed in on the invite.

For me Don stroking the lawn was to connect with the nymphs bare feet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Henry Gale

Though they hit us over the head with it when they zoomed in on the invite.
It just looked like an insert shot to me. I assume that Mad Men has smarter than average viewers but I'd bet that alot of them didn't even make the connection between the two dates.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I really enjoyed Peggy last night. I think every season so far has had one or two prominent 'womens episodes'. This was one of them as all the women were juxtaposed against one another.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At this pace, we'll see their reaction to a man taking a step on the moon in the season playing in 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks