What's new

Mad Men coming to Blu-ray on 7/1/08 (1 Viewer)

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
This will probably be my first TV show purchase on Blu-Ray. Fantastic show all around - the writing and acting are excellent, and the eye-popping colors and art direction really shine in HD. I watched this on Comcast HD and it looked really good, but I can't wait to see it on BR disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has anyone actually watched this title on BD?

I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on a copy as a gift for my wife and I. It would be a blind buy for us...but I've heard so many good things and we are a fan of quality ensemble dramas. Thanks.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

I reviewed the first season set months ago, Mike. Check the archives.

In short, it looks fabulous, and there is a decent set of bonuses, too.

I just looked it up. It's here.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Crap! Thanks, Matt!

If I had waited a couple more minutes to read your post I wouldn't have wandered all over the dark corridors of the HTF trying to find your review myself.

The archives is a dark, mysterious place that I don't understand. The search function doesn't seem to pick up on ANYTHING that is located there...and even clicking on the "Software Archive" link doesn't seem to get you much of anywhere. I then noticed the "Software Review" link at the top of most HTF pages and found it there (although still not searchable).

Anyway, thanks! I will now go and enjoy your review (after I brush off all the cobwebs of the archives)! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
P-tooey! (Got a cobweb in my mouth!)

Great review of what sounds like a great product, Matt! ALL features in 1080p and commentaries (many multiple) on EVERY episode?!? Crazy!

I know a place with two USED copies for $24.99 apiece. I'm on my way!

Thanks a lot! :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm well into watching the show on BD. Missed the first season on TV, but the BD episodes are brilliant.

If anyone is on the fence about, I will say that I bought it blind, and it has been more than worth it. Best drama I have seen since the Sopranos.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bought this blind based on some reviews of the content (bought it on BD because I'd just gotten my PS3 AND it was 5$ cheaper than the SD set in the store where I bought it). I love this show. Its visual recreation of the early 60s is fantastic (I'm an historian and historical presentation in film and television is a research subject of mine) and the episodes are very well done. I'm going through the set slowly as it has only 13 episodes--I like to savour the series like a fine single malt. It's not like 24 or Prison Break or Lost (each of which I rushed through) with their respective high adrenaline stories and cliffhangers.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And the second season which wraps up this coming Sunday is equally brilliant with characters probed even more deeply than in season one. There is a reason this show won so many Emmys.

Fortunately, my cable service offers AMC-HD On Demand for free, so I've been enjoying the episodes of season two in HD. Can't beat the clarity of Blu-ray, of course, which I'll be anticipating greatly whenever Lionsgate announces its availability..

FranklinC

Stunt Coordinator
I think this show is the best thing on TV right now. I really enjoyed the first season on HD On Demand and picked up the BD the week it was released. I doubted they could equal the first season, but they did it with the second. That BD is a definite buy.

When I started watching I thought the low-key, leisurely nature of this show, not to mention the blatant political incorrectness, would limit it's appeal to a lot of viewers. I'm glad I was wrong as it has seemed to find a following. This is a series I look forward to watching every week. It's really easy to get submerged in this world that is created in the show, so much so that sometimes I actually forget I am watching a television show. This is something I've found only the best of films can do for me. I don't think I can pay Mad Men a higher compliment.

If you like this you should check out Breaking Bad, also. It's a different kind of show, but equally good, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks