What's new

Mad Max 1: Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
I did a quick search hear before I posted, but I was wondering if anyone had any news on a release of Mad Max 1 on Blu-ray? It's actually my favorite of the series and the recent special edition on DVD was terrific, but I think despite the low budget of the film it's worth a cleanup and release to this format.

There's a rumor that there's going to be another Max movie (some sort of reboot from what I understand) so I wonder if they're going to wait till closer to it's theatrical release (if there is in fact a new movie coming out) to release it to Blu-ray. Thoughts?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mad Max was never released in HD. The Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) was, but it was also released on blu.

I don't think it's very likely we'll see Max released before the new film comes out, particularly in region A, as the rights are controlled by MGM and they're on the verge of bankruptcy. Maybe there will be an Australian release.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Fox/MGM may try to release this as a combo-pack (Blu-ray and DVD) but I wouldn't waste money on it - these BDs are not usually the best that they can be PQ-wise. They did this with To Live and Die in L.A. and although the blu-ray looked "nice", it didn't look like what you're used to seeing with hi-def. My advice is wait until someone buys MGM and get the eventual (properly-done) release that will tie-in with the remake.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Thanks all.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait. Not that bad, though. I have to replace the 20 or so Blu-ray titles I had stolen before I buy any new titles.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I have the UK release of Mad Max 2 (road warrior) on Blu-Ray and its one of the best presentations in my collection of 130+ HD Blu-Ray movies

fantastic, and definitely worth a re-watch

Mad Max 1 on Blu-Ray would get my wallet out straight away, as would Mad Max 3 : Beyond Thunderdome...

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I saw the first Mad Max on cable in HD recently and it looked very good - particularly for a film of its age and budget. I look forward to getting this on blu one day.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
If WB isn't buying MGM outright, they should at least buy this title specifically. Then they can release a trilogy boxset and all will be right in the world :)

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
If WB isn't buying MGM outright, they should at least buy this title specifically. Then they can release a trilogy boxset and all will be right in the world :)

damn straight!

martinhse

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I agree. I really think that since it all began with Mad Max that should of been the first to be released to blu ray. Its my favorite because its where it all began and I think their are a lot of eager people out there to own an upgrade to blu ray to clean it up a little but in no way change the original..I think the blu ray format would make it even more awesome. And why do it for Road Warrior before Mad Max?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Dennis, a movie released on Blu-ray doesn't automatically mean it will actually look like high definition. As is the case with many of these Fox/MGM Combo discs, all they seem to be doing is upconverting Standard-def transfers to hi-def, as opposed to doing any remastering work and coming up with fresh transfers. This is why I'm not too thrilled with their announcement to release Escape From NY to Blu-ray. I have an import of it which will be sufficient until MGM gets with the program.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Even though the image quality of their discs has been hit and miss, and there may well be better looking versions down the road, none of the MGM blu-ray releases has been a standard-def upconvert.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Worth

I saw the first Mad Max on cable in HD recently and it looked very good - particularly for a film of its age and budget. I look forward to getting this on blu one day.

Agreed -- I caught this HD version not long ago as well, and it looked superb. The MGM DVD (which I originally bought way back in 2001 or 2002) still looks pretty damn good, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks