What's new

Macross TV Series Boxset (1 Viewer)

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Now, if I could just get Maison Ikkoku off of VHS and I'd be pretty happy. I too am slowly trying to replace all my anime VHS tapes to DVD as well. Too much of my collection were 2nd, 3rd, or worse generation of fan sub copies.
But man, between trying to do that, getting general DVD releases and importing in R2 discs from Japan and the UK...man, just no mo' dough.
angry.gif

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I'm suprised this thread is still going, but maybe one of you could clear something up. I remember way back watching Robotech on TV. The storyline started getting weird when they introduced Protoplasm. Was this taken from the Macross series or one of the others?
------------------
My DVD Collection

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Protoplasm?
laugh.gif
Protoculture
That meant the culture of micronians in the Japanese version. But for the English ROBOTECH series, they used Protoculture as a way to link the 3 joining series. Protoculture became the the sort of fuel that the aliens used for the society. Their supply was running short and they needed the Macross' Protoculture factory to replenish their supply. Later, the INVID attacked Earth, as Protoculture is what they live off of.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 18, 2001 at 10:24 AM]

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If there's one thing that cheeses me off, it's when people complain about animation being "outdated". YOU try taking the tiny budgets they had and making something with today's quality.
Part of the reason why these series are important is that they influenced heavily the things that came after them. After watching such classic series as "Macross" and "Space Battleship Yamato" (both of which are required viewing before watching "Nadia", or else you'll miss a ton of references)
YES the story, and more importantly, the ACTING of Macross is worth it. YES the restoration makes a HUGE difference. The show looks brand new, all the details hidden by the muddy Robotech transfer are brought out vibrantly. Buy it, if you really hate it, I'm sure someone'll buy it on Ebay
Jeff Kleist

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
No series since MACROSS has drawn me in. Nothing has the emotion or power of the U.S. ROBOTECH, no matter how good the animation. It's the story that counts and ROBOTECH is among the best ever.
I am looking forward to see the original Japanese version.
------------------

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
My complaint with Robotech is the LACK of emotion in the VAs. Those wimpy screams! :)
As for Ebay, if the OY boxes are any indication, they will appreciate in value rapidly. UY box 1 was selling for more than $50 more than it could be bought for new from Animiego - while it was still available! If you are out of Canada or the US, it might be an idea to make arrangements (covertly - Animeigo can't ship to those they know are exporting) to have someoen get it for you over here. Unlike Akira (which is saturated on ebay), I think Macross would be easy to profit from later if you don't like it.
Also, hate to be nitpicky, but Animeigo has specifically stated they do NOT authorise those screen shots to be used without their permission. I don't want HTF getting in trouble for having them posted here.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Well Matt, expect everything In Robotech increased tenfold
That's true, I've even gotten most dubbing directors to admit "White men can't scream"
Jeff Kleist

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jeff Kleist,
Take a pill, man. I thank you for your reccommendation on the boxset - that was exactly the opinion I was looking for to help me in my decision and I really do appreciate it. I don't appreciate the opening of your response and the hostile tone in it. By saying the artwork is "outdated" means that it is old compared to today's level of artwork in many productions, and it should be. A statement like that is simply true and not an insult on the material itself. I love the robotech version of macross and the artwork is fine but compared to some "new" stuff it is "outdated". Think about the word and you'll realize it's meaning. If certain statements "cheese" you off so much then I suggest you disregard them in the future and don't take them to heart so much. If I have overreacted to your post then I apologize but you know as well as I that you cannot get the true tone of a person by simply reading their words and I may have taken yours as being more irritated then they actually were. It appears as though I was one of the "people" who "cheese" you off so much. If so, forgive me. Later.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jason, no offense was intended. You are the exception rather than the rule, because many many anime fans won't watch older material. What I wrote was more for others then for you

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
As some people mentioned before, this delay is a double blessing in disguise. At a $250.00 price, this set was going to be pretty hard to pay for in October and now the quality will be even better.
I don't know about you guys, but I am feeling like I will be getting my money's worth.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
One note,
the original concept of Protoculture is a culture that was lost to the Zentradi and Meltradi societies. It is called protoculture where the two societies merge and decided to produce together. It was part of their culture before the splitting of the men and women into two separate factions.
It doesn't seem so big as the way Robotech had it but it definitely helps explain why Zentradi and Meltradi tend to be shocked by such displays of affection between a man and a woman.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Jeff,
Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I should "take a pill" as well, based on my quick reaction to your comment. :)
Are the Japanese VA's really good in Macross? Good acting is almost enough to make me want to buy the boxset. Later.

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Jason,
there's no comparison between the two in terms of voice acting quality. Not even close in my book. Which to me puts it into even more perspective given that Robotech often is held up as a good dub job, particular when compared to some of the hack jobs done for shows to appear on the likes of American TV (i.e. Fox Kids, Toonami, etc.)
I swear though, after hearing the original, there were many a time that I just wanted to bitch slap the Robotech Minmei.
biggrin.gif

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I love the dubbing for Robotech. I found all of the characters to be voiced wonderfully. Especially Rick, Roy, Claudia, Captain Gloval and (forgive me for misspelling these names) Breti, Dulsa and Exador.
What bothered my was the inconsistency of the animation. There were very clearly 3 times. One was outstanding. One was good. One was lousy.
------------------

JasonRH

Second Unit
James,
I'd like to bitch slap the robotech Minmei as well, though the dub as a whole is at least tolerable to me. Thanks for the input on the Japanese VA's. My decision is getting easier and easier!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks