What's new

Macintosh: Most recommended software list? (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
ErichH said:
Daryl - i noticed that yesterday. Funny to see an old staple of the OS9 years. A very handy launcher back in the day, but I don't see the point now. We have so many ways to do the same in X.
Hehe, I guess your right. I guess having to use a mouthstick and trackball to operate the pointer (click/drag/drop ect...), FinderPop just made copying, moving and accessing files/folders much more quicker and convenient for me than the average abled body person. :)

ErichH

Screenwriter
TOAST Titanium 9
Just looking at the app today. New interface with improved tabs up top. Hot info in the convert tab notes options to send to itunes and or iTV. Interesting.
Can't wait to get a BD drive and install the plug.
I really like the way it's handling a 26gb folder over 7 DVDs with no split files.
Faster performance on my slow matsu drive. Nice!
Nifty new icon - Black Toaster with a neon blue outline and blue disk ;)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Eric,
Not a major improvement over version 8. This is not a
huge overhaul as far as design or functionality is concerned.
In fact, I only saw a few minor graphic improvements.
The plug-ins for HD media are great, but I am not sure that
things are vastly improved here that require most people to
upgrade to version 9.
In any event, TOAST still remains the best burning
tool I have seen on any platform.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Ronald Epstein said:
still remains the best burning
tool I have seen on any platform.
Agree, nothing major but these small additions keep coming and are generally solid in my experience.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I'm withdrawing my recommendation for Finderpop HERE. Not only for what ErichH pointed out of it not rely as helpful as it once was but also because the latest update includes the use of APE.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Let me also add Carbon Copy Cloner to my list. I have used both CCC 3.1 and SuperDuper! 2.5 (both now Leopard compatible) and have decided to stick with CCC.

Why?

I know there are certain files that don't need to be copied, and both claim to do just that. However, for my 99GB of data on the master drive that I clone to an external drive, CCC will copy ~98.5+GB, while SuperDuper! copies ~95-96GB.

I admit I don't know what is omitted, and perhaps those 3-4GB missing from the SuperDuper! clone really aren't needed, but I'm not willing to take that risk.

I've cloned and restored from the clone my HD several times with CCC and have had great success! (I do this fairly regularly to defragment)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I didn't get a chance to browse the whole thread, but I'm looking for a program to recover some photos I accidentally deleted from a couple of compact flash cards. Actually, I deleted them on purpose, but then accidentally deleted the only copies I had put on my MBP, and I really need them back. I've found some pay software, but I'd prefer free if it's available, before paying $50 for something. PC software would be OK too, since I still have those computers for a bit.

ErichH

Screenwriter
BrianShort said:
I didn't get a chance to browse the whole thread, but I'm looking for a program to recover some photos I accidentally deleted from a couple of compact flash cards. Actually, I deleted them on purpose, but then accidentally deleted the only copies I had put on my MBP, and I really need them back. I've found some pay software, but I'd prefer free if it's available, before paying $50 for something. PC software would be OK too, since I still have those computers for a bit.
google - compact flash file recovery
I see a few freeware apps - good luck

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I just found a new one called Blue Phone Elite. It lets you make and receive calls and text messages through your Mac using your Bluetooth enabled cellphone. It basically makes the Mac act like a glorified Bluetooth headset, so you can use the built in mic and speakers. Free 2 week trial then you have to pay for it.
Mira Software, Inc.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Perhaps of interest for DSLR users looking for a 'Make It So' type workflow app.
Testing a Demo of DxO Optics Pro v5 beta for OSX intel (ppc is available as well)
FREE DEMO
A stunning app for batch processing raw or jpg from your Nikon/Canon DSLR. The software uses modules designed for most current DSLR models and lens ranges. My interest is for a D40 & 18-55 kit lens, but there are free modules for the 18-200mm VR, the wide 12-24 and others I will need later. The standard pkg will cover Nikons up to D300. The pro models (D3,2X,etc) and prime F lens modules require an upgraded pkg. Canons up to 40D and most of their DX lenses are covered in the standard as well.
Lightroom/CS3 plugs are included for workflow additions.
Many, if not all functions in this software can be done with a combination of share and freeware combined with CS, but to have what might be considered a very complex and easily adjustable action in one spot is compelling.
The lens correction alone might sell it for me.
After tossing a few old and thus unknown body jpgs at it, I'm stunned at what I get in such a limited mode (raw with current model modules gets you into a full range of corrections)
a review of 4.2 - DxO Optics Pro Software
The mouse overs on KR's review should give you an idea of what it does, but v5 has more stuff.
Those fisheye to flat corrections at the bottom are amazing.

Zach Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to recommend Deja Vu, an alternative to Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper:
Déjà Vu
I have used Deja Vu for years, and I prefer how it is a part of System Preferences as opposed to a standalone app. It's extremely easy too. Just pick the folder/ disk you want to back up, and then point out where you want it backed up. Of course, it can also be scheduled to back up as well.
I highly recommend it!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I opened up this thread to see what you guys had recommended for a DVD/BD library function and was checking out Delicious Library based on your recommendation. The Blutooth scanner sounded AWESOME but man, $210, I think I'm gonna use the iSight instead.
Anyone use The Unarchiver? I saw that when I checked out Xee, looks interesting for the times you need to open 7zip and other non .zip archives...

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I triend almost every twitter client available but for free think Nambu was the best free client for features combined with GUI.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I Love Stars
Great, free tool for encouraging the rating of songs in iTunes. When music is playing, it appears in your menu bar; about 30 seconds before the end of an unrated song, it will flash and/or chime to remind you to rate the song. One click on the 5 dots to set a 1-5 star rating (or double click to even do 1/2 stars) and the song is rated.
I like this because it is inobtrusive but nudges me to rate my music, and doesn't require keyboard shortcuts to get the job done. And it's free. And Snow Leopard compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks