What's new

MacBooks, MBP's updated...finally (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
MacBook Pros have finally been refreshed with Penryn processors (up to 2.6GHz), better video card and multi-touch trackpad. The MacBooks saw a speed bump (up to 2.4 GHz) as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The new MBPs look like nice upgrades. Fortunately, not too nice since I bought mine last summer. I'm mainly envious of the new mid-range video card. ;)

As much as I like my 15" screen, I still think Apple needs a 1680x1050 resolution for the 15" model.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I had been waiting for the updates, now I just have to decide what to get.

One thing I have to say though, Apple's de-bundling of the remote and making it a $19 option really bothers me. I know the cost is next to nothing but still, it really seems like Apple keeps nickel-and-diming its users to death. I can't imagine the cost to them on that thing is more than a few dollars.

-Keith

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep, real unhappy about the remote unbundling as well. My 2.33 C2D MBP is still performing like a champ so I'm not real tempted by this update.

I'll be interested in the Nehalem chip when they come out (4Q 2008) so they'll probably be in the late '08 or early '09 MBP revs.

I was hoping for higher resolution on the 15" model, but that didn't come through. Hopefully by the time the Nehalem chip models come out they'll offer a 15" 1680x1050 screen.

All in all, though, for those who've been holding off on their purchases, a nice set of updates by Apple.

Ladies and Gentleman...start your plastic! :D

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
A heads up for anyone interested, Apple has some pretty good prices on refurbs at their online store.

The just replaced BlackBook model is available for $1049. They have MacBook Pros as well.

-Keith

ErichH

Screenwriter

Always a great choice and time to get in on safe deals from Apple. The bumps on the new models will only be important to those who must have the last 10% boost for whatever reason. 9 of 10 times it's not for real world use. ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was surprised to see that move. But then I thought, who uses the remote? Those few people who use it can buy it, and everyone else essentially saves a few dollars on the computer. (These things are always part of a trade space in finding the right components for the right price.)

And I suspect they view the remote, especially laptops, as now obsolete with AppleTV v2 available. With ATV I see FrontRow being de-emphasized on the computers.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Well I decided to go with a refurb BlackBook. It should be plenty for my needs. With the money I saved I think I might pick up an AppleTV but I will save that for another thread. :)

-KeithP

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
True. I bought my 1.83GHz (dinosaur, I hear you say!) at a discounted price after they bumped up the entry-level to 2.0GHz. Works absolutely fine for my limited purposes.

A friend of mine just went the other way, he bought an MBP to replace his old G4 PowerBook about 8 months ago, but offloaded it and bought a MacBook Air instead. Less power, but way cool...

As for the remote, I must agree, I've hardly ever used mine. It's not as if the 15" screen is so large, nor the speakers so loud, that you'd often watch or listen to something on the machine a distance away. I know, some hook up the machine to a larger screen, but I find that more hassle than it's worth.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I'd be even excited for BD without 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200) for native screen resolution to fully take advantage of BD. Right now only the 17" MBP has that, and not even the base version, you have to pay extra to bump up to that resolution.

I'm more interested in BD drives in the 24" iMac (which does do 1920x1200) and the Mac Pro. MBPs are expensive enough, BD drives will up the price considerable, same for Macbooks, which I think are priced just right.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I've read a couple things about the lack of BluRay in this iteration of MacBooks. One is they're not yet available in the slim form factor Apple needs for the MacBooks, the other was the best Sony could provide was a BluRay reader/DVD-R/CD-R combo in the slim form, and Apple wants to wait until BD-write capability is available in that form factor. Not sure about the truth of either of these. Have also heard that BluRay drives are proving to be huge battery drainers in notebooks. This AppleInsider posting addresses both of these rumors.

Anyway, I agree with Carlo. Not much point in having a BluRay drive if your screen's vertical resolution is under 1024.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks