MacBook TOUCH

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sam Posten, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Holy shit!

Something else I have to buy from Apple?

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Shiny!

- Walter.

4. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    I want to believe too. That looks totally awesome.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    First, I doubt that Apple, with a touch interface for the iPhone so new that they still haven't figured out the fundamental cut-and-paste, has come up with an appropriate interface for whole-computer touch system.

And I don't see the value of going the traditional bolt-on approach (unchanged OS with pen-interface added) since six years of tablets from Windows suggests that no one really wants a tablet. They're too expensive for the power, too heavy for their size, and the interface is too kludgy compared to normal desktop keyboard & mouse.

I'd love to be wrong on this. I've been dreaming of the ideal scientists tablet computer for a decade now. I think such a tool with appropriate software could revolutionize the way students, scientists and engineers work. Or at least solve many practical problems. But the software and hardware doesn't exist, and I don't see any signs of it coming.

But if true, it would suck to be ModBook.

(caveat: a super-iPhone tablet I'd believe. Something like an 8" ultra portable with 960x540 screen -- 50% of 1080p -- with the iPhone OS X, not desktop OS X. That seems much more likely than a MacBook Tablet with traditional OS X.)

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I gotcha Dave. Hence the X-Files reference since we agree that this is pretty unlikely. I don't doubt that Apple will eventually make some kind of tablet, but when they do I expect it to be unlike anything anyone else is making and have its fair share of things that people find infuriating, only to be cured over 4 convenient yearly revs =)

Of course, I want a desktop Mac that doesnt cost $3k more than I want this, but YCAGWYW, especially not from Apple.