What's new

Mac version of Paint? (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This may be a stupid question, but is there a simple photo editing program in the Mac? Something like MS Paint, for simple touch ups? Like cropping and things like that.

I've tried iPhoto and, quite honestly, it is a bit too confusing.

I'm almost on my first anniversary with the Mac and love it, yet Paint seems to be the one thing I still use on a PC.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
You just need a time machine back to 1984 when MacPaint was the first program of it's kind -- and not confusing
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Then again, I don't find iPhoto at all confusing for doing simple things like cropping or removing red-eye. All the other programs I know about -- Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Gimp are far more powerful than iPhoto. Try going to versiontracker.com click on the Mac OS X tab and search for photo editing -- you'll probably find hundreds of programs.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For basic photo editing, like cropping, color correction, and red-eye, I encourage to give iPhoto another try. It's the easiest way I've found to do that basic stuff. Picasa, from Google, is also a good basic photo editor.

For general purpose, low-cost pixel drawing, frankly the Mac options are weak compared to Windows. But I can recommend two options that I have (and paid for): Seashore (free) and Pixelmator. Also look at Acorn.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the information everyone. I did find that cropping tool in Preview, which helps a lot.

I played around with iPhoto some more, and I still have trouble with it.

I do a lot with movie posters and other things on my website, so often find a beat up one somewhere online and like to go in and try to fix it up. With Paint it was always easy to do with the little paintbrush tool, and matching the colors. But it isn't as easy in iPhoto.

Thanks again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There's also GIMP. Very powerful; abhorrent GUI. I don't like it, but many people find the price right (free).

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I miss Adobe Photo Deluxe - it was so useful and easy to use. I've still got it on my old iMac.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks