What's new

Mac mini (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
If you believe what Steve said :) the 512MB Shuffle gives you twice as much storage for the same $99 price point (although the others will probably drop their prices to compete), and a gig for $149. But what the others don't have is integration with iTunes, which gives you both (a) easy access to songs bought through the iTunes Music Store, and (b) AutoFill, which will automatically fill the Shuffle with a selection of songs. The idea is that you don't even want a teeny display and controls to try and manage the device; you just load and go. With 240 songs of your songs playing at random, it's sort of like a personal radio station; and if you don't like one at that moment, just skip to the next. This fits the usage profile of lots of people anyway.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
You can bet the iPod shuffle was focus grouped to death. And they went over every flash player out there and found what worked and what did not. That market is there for apple to take from the rest , the question is, will this product do just that? It will win on reputation alone, plus iTMS.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
As a Long time PC user and HTF Forum Member I've made the jump. I've gone ahead and ordered a Mac mini in the following config:

Mac mini 1.42
512mb Ram
Airport Extreme Card
80GB HD
Superdrive (I'm not sure why I did this just figured I would regret not getting this later)

Over the past few months at work I've been playin with our offices loan Imac it's a few years old a G4 but i've been impressed with it. My wholde Home Network is wireless PC and this will interface with it, my HTPC is a Win XP machine, but I wanted to go a new direction with my office desktop. I might even connect this thing to my Optoma H30 and see what kind of results it gets.

BTW isn't Ron an Apple User?

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Dave,
A few questions if you don't mind:
1)After you added all of the bells and whistles, what did the unit cost you?
2)Where were you able to find it for sale online already?
3)How long before it arrives?

PLMK-Thanks!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
After I added everything it was $853 shipped. I could've done without the Superdrive but i thought I'd regret it later, realistically for a decnt system you only really need to add the 512 meg of ram for $75. I eyed the G5 Macs, I'd love to get the 20" Imac but as this is my first mac I decided this was they way to go and still use my peripherals. If I really start digging the mac then maybe I'll upgrade at some point. I use a G4 at work the one that looks like a Lamp with the swinging neck monitor and I like the intergration of apps on OSX. With my Ipod,Itunes and my new Kodak DX7590 using the Iphoto, I should make pretty good use of it.

I ordered it from Apple and it said 3-4 weeks before it arrives, it used to be 1-2 weeks so Apple must be getting some orders for this...

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the shuffles have moved to 3-4 weeks shipping time also. my gig one says shipping by the 27th, and i read that they sold 20,000 in 4 hours at the apple store near the keynote, and that some 512's are already shipping from the apple online store

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, don't sweat the SuperDrive. It'll be worth it when it comes time to archive all of the photos you're taking. Instead of spreading them out across multiple CDs you've got 1 dvd. And don't even get me started on creating your own dvd's with iDvd (which make great gifts btw). I'm soooooooo glad I decided to go with this upgrade. I'm sure you'll be too.

Looking forward to your first impressions...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Let's talk monitors. I need to get a new monitor that will work well with this Mac and my existing PC's. I'm trying to decide between a CRT and a Flat panel. I own a sony LCD 15" that's hooked to my basement HT and has to stay there. Space really isn't an issue where this will be installed so a CRT would be OK. I seem to be seeing good prices on 19-21" CRT's because I supose everyone is buying a Flat Panel at this point. I've looked at Dell's 20" LCD and if I could get an insane deal I'd be tempted by it, I'd like Widescreen thou I guess I'd have to fiddle with the PC's resolution. Any suggestions?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
What's your budget on the monitor, Dave?

I'm getting everything except for the 1GB upgrade for $1050. There's no way I'm paying $300+ for a 512MB upgrade. With education pricing, I'll be saving $101. I can't get it just yet, but a few paychecks down the road, I'll have enough in the bank. :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bob I figured this too as far as archiving files since DVD media is so cheap now it's not worth storing all those cd roms. I'd like to hear more about IDVD I've fooled around alittle with it on my Work's G4, It looks like you can make some not photo-movie disks.

Thomas the monitor Ideally $200-400 on a monitor, unless I said I can get a crazy deal on a Dell 20" WS or an Apple Cinema display.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
For my first LCD monitor, my friend recommended MAG to me, as his has been running for three years with no problems. My MAG has one dead pixel, but I don't notice it 99% of the time. Other than that, the quality is excellent for movies and games, although the only game I play is Madden. MAG monitors are only sold at Best Buy, and the 19" sells for $399. It was going for $349 after mail-in rebate a couple weeks ago, so if you can wait, see if the offer comes back up again soon.

jez

Stunt Coordinator
Thinking about getting one to replace my old imac, cause obviously still have my keyboard and mouse etc.

Also would i be able to use my existing imac as the monitor for the mac mini or would i have to buy a new monitor?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

No. Some iMacs have video outputs for display mirroring, but no iMacs have computer video inputs that patch directly through to the display.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but I still bet we'll be seeing mods utilizing the LCD display from the previous gen iMacs at some point this year.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Why?? The G4 LCD iMacs are similar in computing power to the iMac mini -- it would make no sense. And so far as using the CRT iMacs in this fashion, again, why? When you can get a 17" CRT for ~$100 -- why bother with a Frankenstein 15" CRT? Even the online Apple Store has started selling cheap CRTs.

Ted

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
By the way, what budget display would you guys suggest for those who have ordered the Mini (I did today)?

I like the Sony and Samsung 17" LCD displays...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I would've Liked a 20" Widescreen Apple or Dell but I could'nt swing the $700-1000 tag so I ordered a CRT, yes a CRT I ordered a 19" Viewsonic the G90FB. I have the room and I still think a CRT gives the best overall picture. Also they are giving them away since everyone wants LCD now.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
My Mac Mini (80 GB model w/ 512 RAM) shipped Thursday, and is now on the FedEx truck to be delivered today! I'll be back later with a report & some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks