What's new

Mac hater! (spoken in Dutch accent) (1 Viewer)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Rocket fuel for both sides, if you're looking for such. Yes, pun intended, geeze.

from Derek Kent: "NASA recently benchmarked Apple's dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 at its Langley Research Center in Virginia. The main purpose of the tests was to compare the G5 to the G4 for 'computational fluid dynamics applications" however they also compare it to the Pentium 4. The test was well documented and concludes that "the G5 has about 22% better scalar floating point performance per clock cycle than the G4 systems tested and 32% better floating point performance per clock cycle than the P4 systems tested.' Even more interesting is that NASA's benchmarks come close to mirroring Apple/Veritest's results for SPECfp_rate_base2000. Apple's benchmark lists the dual 2GHz G5 as having a 194.5% performance advantage over a 3GHz Pentium 4."

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/g5/

Interestingly, Adobe flipped off Apple today, terminating Premier for Mac. And then AAPL stock hit a new 52-week high.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...07/bs_nf/21857

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Scott. The only point I'm making is that I HATE MACOS

I hate its inherent cuteness, I find it cloying, I can't stand it, and it does not support the projects I do to the level I need them to be

THEREFORE

What I have stated as fact remains. That I hate the things, they have annoying (at least to me) cute features and names.

I don't care if the single chip is faster. I can still grab signifigantly more computing power for the same buck on other platforms, and without having to put up Apple.

The end

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Scott H,

About that benchmark, the Mac has superior floating point performance per clock cycle, but I wonder which has superior floating point performance per dollar. :D

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Jeff go back to spankin' it to the Whed, you obvisiously have no clear idea what is going on with the Mac and MacOS X. I know that I am happy to know that you don't know shit about what you are talking about and that you don't use a Mac, as it would be such a waste of a good Mac.

EdR

Second Unit
I hate its inherent cuteness, I find it cloying, I can't stand it
What I don't understand is what exactly this 'cuteness' you constantly talk about is. I mean what are some examples? And in what sense is it 'inherent' to the Mac?

I'm in OSX right now and all I see is an extremely clean interface, all gray and white. Borderless windows, with drop shadows. My computer case is silver, the keyboard is silver and black, the same colors as the Oakland Raiders, Jeff...are you saying the Raiders are cute?

EDIT: Come to think of it, isn't your gamertag logo kind of cute? I mean that big head pasted on the small body...that seems awful cute to me...

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The end
Guys, he said "the end".
That's it, game's over, amendment ratified. We all just need to accept it. The fact is this blowhard who admittedly has zero experience with OS X has spoken. We simply need to abide. OS X must really suck.

Besides, this man uses Win'98! How many of you can say that? While you're all toiling away in your bland, modern, stable OS he is still workin' it in 16-bit. Like a triathlete training in high altitude he's building OS interface callouses that heighten his ability to give good interface.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Besides, this man uses Win'98! How many of you can say that? While you're all toiling away in your bland, modern, stable OS he is still workin' it in 16-bit. Like a triathlete training in high altitude he's building OS interface callouses that heighten his ability to give good interface.
:laugh: :laugh:

I'm not even a Mac user but I can't help but chuckle that someone would actually argue the pluses and minuses of an OS, expecially one such as OSX and not know there is an Terminal app...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
About the loss of Premiere on the Mac....who cares, all the people that I know who do video editing have switched over to Final Cut Pro or still use an Avid worstation. My friend recently built a Final Cut Pro 4 box, my god that has got to be some of the coolest and easiest software out there.

EdR

Second Unit
About the loss of Premiere on the Mac....who cares, all the people that I know who do video editing have switched over to Final Cut Pro or still use an Avid worstation.
As a Mac user and registered owner of Premier from versions 2-5, I can't even express how irrelevant the 'loss' of Premier is to the Mac platform. Premier was once far ahead of anything else in it's price range, but Adobe let it stagnate and FCP has completely demolished it in terms of functionality and power. At this point Adobe is struggling to improve Premier's tattered reputation as an application perennially behind the times.

This isn't a 'sour grapes' rant on my part, I've been bitching about Premier ever since version 4 or 5 (can't remember which) when Adobe hacked DV support into it in an incredibly ugly and unstable manner.

So, at least for now FCP stomps all over Premier. The next version from Adobe will likely be a big improvement, given they've had a few years to learn from FCP. But it's unlikely that they'd have won many Mac converts anyway given the huge inroads FCP has made. Lets not forget that FCP is responsible for Macs being taken seriously in the video market, period. And that's despite the debacle that the G4 became in Motorola's capable hands.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
By "The End" I meant I wasn't going to argue it any more, but I will address these final points

What I don't understand is what exactly this 'cuteness' you constantly talk about is. I mean what are some examples? And in what sense is it 'inherent' to the Mac?
The grinning Mac that greets you on boot, the cutesy tones, the bright performance wasting gigantic animated icons, the cutesy names like "Finder" and "Sherlock" and "StuffIt" (which I realize is not an Apple product). And of course, nothing says "cutesy" like the iMac/Book line.

I have never stated I find Windows to be a satisfactory OS on a technical level. I STRICTLY am commenting on the UI.

If the peripherals and programs I use supported it, along with good game support I'd be running Linux. They don't,, though support is improving.

My DV device uses custom drivers,codec and interface that are far superior to Premiere's hackjob. The MS DV codec is terrible, and it's all the OHCI stuff appears to support.
While Premiere may not be a big loss to Adobe. Photoshop and AfterFX are still industry standard programs.

As for my tag, I designed that to be fun, the "big head" syndrome was more than anything the optimal size to meld with the body I was using. I DON'T want my computer to be cute. I want it to be functional. Every bit of processor sucking hi-res icon/unneeded animation is turned off of my machine. I don't run wallpaper or sounds either.

I'm finished, I'm not going to argue it any more as it's pointless. You cannot dispute that I hate the things, you cannot dispute that Apple's hardware is extremely expensive clock for clock, and accounting for the difference in computing power at whatever speed the chip in question is running at. Apple, unlike Nintendo really does have a large enough loyal fanbase that will buy everything and keep them in business for the foreseeable future. So good luck to them, but they will not see dollar one from me for one of their machines. Holding this opinion is my right, and I specifically stated before I was not familiar with all of the improvements in OSX other than its UNIX core. Though they have fixed their stability issues by giving up and swtiching to UNIX, to me it is still inherently broken due to the UI

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Though they have fixed their stability issues by giving up and swtiching to UNIX, to me it is still inherently broken due to the UI
Column view and spring loaded folders allow me to be more productive than I ever could be in a terminal app or Windows OS.

My UI can also be as empty or full as I see fit by merely checking less than a handful of prefs. It's not hidden behind an iron curtain as you suppose. Simply go to Finder Preferences and 1) de-select "Show HD, Removable Media, Connected Services" 2) Dock Preferences select Automatically Hide.

Apple is now working to make even those that prefer the clutter to gain order with their Expose system service. They didn't give up, they moved on and I'm glad they did. In addition they continue to make improvements above and below the surface while bringing about things like Expose that many never even thought of incorporating.

Also, one's cuteness and functionality are unrelated. ;)

Scott H

Supporting Actor
it is still inherently broken due to the UI
So, you don't like what is generally accepted as the world's most advance consumer UI because of features that you don't know can be altered to your satsifaction. Okay.

Jeff, nobody here wanted to pick a fight with you on this. And nobody here cares what OS you use as long as it's right for you. This is all a result of you criticizing something that you clearly know little about. If you say things like this around people who know better, you're going to be taken to task. It's almost an obligation of the membership of a respected forum to do so, because misinformation benefits no one. It's just like your "Super35 is evil" rhetoric. It's nonsensical, and downright silly to others.

Please be objective and read a little about OS X. I don't care if you like it, but you'll be better for clearing up your misconceptions. It's not that I think OS X is without faults, I have lots of things to complain about. It's that I believe your complaints aren't valid.

And have a beer! Though you prob wouldn't like my suggestion, because it will have cost more to make, cost more to buy, and will for sure have a much smaller market share than Bud.

Regards.

JayV

Supporting Actor
This is an interesting thread. I'm still a little confused on one of Jeff's points, however.

Early in the thread you stated "I have yet to find a way to turn off the cutesy animation." This implies that you used OSX substantially and made a reasonable attempt to turn off the animation.

But later you say you "barely" used OSX (as a confirmed Windows user, I'm in this category, too).

I guess my question is, what is a reasonable attempt? I mean, if you barely used it, did you spend 10 minutes trying to turn it off? A couple of days?

I understand what you mean about UI woes. I'm constantly explaining to friends/co-workers/relatives that the reason they have two copies of Outlook open is that they double-clicked on the Windows quicklaunch bar. I always have the same conversation with them, too!

They: "But I'm supposed to double-click to launch."

Me: "Not on the quicklaunch bar."

They: "That's stupid, why isn't it consistent?"

LOL it's whine whine whine about this or that! "Why does that stupid cutesy paperclip keep coming back?" "How come in Outlook I use 'remove' to remove someone's address from an email in the address book dialog, but the same command is called 'remove' in the email dialog? It's the same program!"

Or how about finding their PC running like crap and then finding about 8 Tons of old software sitting around -- because they thought deleting the Windows shortcut removed the program!

Anyways, I was wondering what constitutes a reasonable attempt to switch off animation if you hardly used the OS?

-j

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
because they thought deleting the Windows shortcut removed the program!
Oops, now you're guilty of the same thing you're lashing out at Jeff for. When is the last time you tried to delete a Windows shortcut?

In Windows XP, you get a dialog box which says "Deleting the shortcut to "program title" (pulled from inside the program file, not the name of the shortcut or the directory name of the program file) only removes the icon. It does not uninstall the program. If you want to uninstall the program, use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel." and has two buttons, "Delete Shortcut" and "Cancel". I believe Windows 2000 does it also.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Oops, now you're guilty of the same thing you're lashing out at Jeff for. When is the last time you tried to delete a Windows shortcut?

In Windows XP, you get a dialog box which says "Deleting the shortcut to "program title" (pulled from inside the program file, not the name of the shortcut or the directory name of the program file) only removes the icon. It does not uninstall the program. If you want to uninstall the program, use Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel." and has two buttons, "Delete Shortcut" and "Cancel". I believe Windows 2000 does it also.
That wouldn't be Jay's problem, but his mentally challenged user base. Not the same thing, as obviously Jay knows this.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Scott: Those OSX customizations are kick-ass - what are they using for that? Looks fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks