What's new

M-Squad Coming 9/23/08 (1 Viewer)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Jeff Willis said:
Jeff,
If that's true, then I totally agree with this. This is the main reason that I pass on some of the older releases. I know that the indy's have budgets to adhere to with TV/DVD sets. It comes down to the choice we have to make as buyers as Paul Mavis said so well in his DVDTalk review.
I'd say that unless someone has inside info at Universal we don't know for certain what may be available, before or after that warehouse fire at Uni.
M-Squad would be a blind-buy for me and with those, I am more cautious at buying than I was a few years ago. For me, it comes down to a viewing-time issue. "Too many DVD's to watch, so little time" etc
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I usually choose to buy the more clearer print releases to spend my time watching that catagory's video transfers.
I would buy it. The show is just that good. Like I said, I'm not aware of Universal missing a lot of episodes of any TV series (pre or post fire) and fans had to provide a few episodes of this series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
chas speed said:
I would buy it. The show is just that good. Like I said, I'm not aware of Universal missing a lot of episodes of any TV series (pre or post fire) and fans had to provide a few episodes of this series.
EVERYTHING EXISTS on the Universal/MCA TV series that TIMELESS are putting out! It's the cost Universal charges HIGH FEES to transfer from masters/negatives to the licensing parties - between $1000 to $5000 PER EPISODE if it's not on the shelf already transferred.
TIMELESS went to Universal, said they'd source their own prints and Universal was ok with it as these were old B&W "library" titles they saw no real value in! This benefited Universal as they didn't have to deal with the lab work, and it benefited TIMELESS as it was ALOT cheaper to get 16mm prints from the collector's market. (I personally know where 100's of the prints came from!)
The only drawback was not ALL the episodes going around in collector's circles on 16mm.
Shows like WAGON TRAIN (Color Shows), LARADO, LARAMIE (Color Shows) already had "on the shelf" masters that TIMELESS could access and was cost-effective.
It would be nice if someone did a similar deal with Universal on the Movie Serials - a lot of complete 16mm prints exist in collector's hands on those.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, Denny,
Good points. I'm glad that these shows are getting releases for the gang here regardless of what decisions I make for transfer Q's since I know a lot of the older shows wouldn't get any DVD releases without the folks at Timeless, Alpha, etc.
I guess we all have those "fantasy" wishes in TV/DVD land...if only there weren't cost-prohibitive issues for remasteing. My collection would have outgrown my house-space by now :laugh: Maybe it's better that it isn't the case where every release is remastered from original elements. I'd be in a poor-house somewhere by now.
Although I've never seen M-Squad, I figure I might get this one some day if I can find it for a close-out or deep sale price somewhere. The show's premise, Lee Marvin, plus the score (I'm a big Jazz fan) make this one tempting.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I was in Sam's Club yesterday, and they had both M Squad and the color Wagon Train for $49.88.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Not quite as cheap as that in Tim's post however, Best Buy is currently selling this for $59.95.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
This set has been the best surprise ever. I bought it blind, and I cannot stress enough how much fun I've had with it. I recommend anyone who does not have it to pick it up at these crazy low prices.

Doug

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Finally committed to the set a couple of weeks ago from Barnes & Noble ($53.xx delivered after a coupon.) Really enjoying it and into disc 3 already. The wrap scenes with Marvin on Chicago city streets are great.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
So I just got my copy of M Squad today. Unfortunately, as usual Barnes and Noble doesn't know how to pack DVD sets and while it has bubble wrap above the set was sliding back and forth beneath it during shipping.

Once opening I found four disks floating around with various light scatches. I can't quite decide if I want to return it or not for another set. These type of containers are prone to having loose disks and improper packing just makes it worse.

How many of you received sets with less then perfect disks and did you keep them or return them for a replacement? It's right on that borderline for me. If some light scratches are the norm I'll probably just keep then as is.

Updated: I watched the first two episodes last night. I was suprised at how gritty it was for a 50's show. First episode was in great shape while the second was pretty washed out. I pretty much expected that from the reviews so it really wasn't a problem. I'm looking forward to watching more.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
The show seems to only get better both with the stories and video quality as you move through the discs. It is one of the most addicting shows that I've seen recently. I was fortunate in that my discs were all in place when I received the set. If it was me, I would just keep the set, but everyone has different tolerances, and I HATE sending things back. As long as it played, I would keep it.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Doug^Ch said:
It is one of the most addicting shows that I've seen recently.
Agreed, Doug, 110%. Lee Marvin just dominates this show in a manner that few actors have in a television series. Steve "Wanted Dead or Alive" McQueen was nicknamed "The King of Cool," but I dunno . . . . Marvin sure gives him a run for the money in this series.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Bob Hug said:
Agreed, Doug, 110%. Lee Marvin just dominates this show in a manner that few actors have in a television series.
Totally agree. He was also one of those actors who could move between TV and movies and be equally successful in both. If this series were running somewhere today other than on DVD it could bring back men's hats on its own!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Just picked up this set for $47 from Amazon. Alot of the eps are in rough shape, but if comes down to that or not being able to see them at all, I'll take rough shape. It made me laugh it seems like some of the 16mm collector prints were projected on to a wall and digitally transcribed off of that as the border does'nt fill the screen... still its a great series and I'm happy to have it. Another show I'm sure is in rough shape as I've seen some of the VHS transferred eps is Mike Hammer from 1958, but I love that series and I wish that was Timelesses next project.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
As you begin to move further into the set, the episodes will become far more consistant in quality, and for my money are really not bad viewing at all. The new Suspense release (Set 3) especially the episodes from 1949 make the M-Squad set look like HD Quality. But don't get me wrong; I'm still very happy to have any of these old series released.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Right now you can get this set for an unbelievable, and I do mean UNBELIEVABLE price through Deep Discount using their 25% off sale.
It's listing for only $49.89 and with the discount (and free shipping) it can be had for $37.42. That's crazy! Same thing for the color Wagon Train set also being sold by Timeless, which is only $1.00 more.
They may increase the base price at any time, so don't hesitate if you even think you want this set.
Gary "there are some of the very best bargains I have ever seen in my entire life going on right now at DD using the discount codes available" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I see from a post over on the Bargains/Deals forum that the DD sale has started, The only code I've heard about so far is HOTSTUFF . I guees more codes will surface soon.

Gary, thanks for the info on the DD deals. Makes me wonder if I should have waited for that Wagon Train set No regrets, though...we all know that we can wait forever for a lower price on these TV/DVD sets...then, we'd never watch them that way.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /forum/thread/273516/m-squad-coming-9-23-08/90#post_3585432
Gary, thanks for the info on the DD deals. Makes me wonder if I should have waited for that Wagon Train set /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif No regrets, though...we all know that we can wait forever for a lower price on these TV/DVD sets...then, we'd never watch them that way.
Yes, on both counts Jeff. Wish I had waited on things when I see deals like this. And yes, you can't wait forever. But boy those deals on WAGON TRAIN and M SQUAD really are amazing.
Gary "there are several CBS/Paramount sets that are going for great prices too - but I have everything I want already" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /t/273516/m-squad-coming-9-23-08/90#post_3845146
Amazon's price for M-Squad is $32.99. Page is here . I think the time is right for me to get this one.
Yep. Looks good, Jeff. I personally think it's worth it for that price.

Gary "some of the prints are tough, but overall it's a good series and certainly watchable" O.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I'm curious to know something about M-Squad. I have the complete series DVD collection, and I happen to see that Me-TV has the show on its Me-Too channel. Do they use razor-sharp video transfers or they use DVDs taken from 16mm elements in the set from TMG? I've seen a stock shot of Lt. Ballinger in his squad car for a Me-TV Sunday Night Noir bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks