What's new

M-Squad Coming 9/23/08 (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I know this is going to make a lot of vintage TV-on-DVD fans happy; Timeless Media has posted details about its upcoming "M-Squad" release and it's a massive 14 DVD set and music CD.
Details here: M Squad
It's a "best of" collection with 100 episodes.

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.
I know I'm happy. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Bob!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Well, Timeless did make a factual error in its description. "There were many black and white crime dramas competing for viewers in the late fifties, notably Dragnet, Arrest and Trial, and Checkmate." The latter two Timeless released on DVD and "Arrest and Trial" was broadcast in 1963-64 and "Checkmate" in 1960-62.

Since they mention "Dragnet" in the same breath as those other two series that they have licensed from Universal, I wonder (SPECULATION ALERT) if maybe Timeless is getting the rights to the non-public domain 1950s episodes of "Dragnet," another series that Universal owns?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
This is most welcome news, Bob. Lee Marvin is always great and worth watching in everything he's in. Definitely inked in for the Nov. DD sale.

But, as with the WILLIAM TELL release, I am wondering about the number of episodes: 100 episodes. 17 short of a complete series set?? Why can't they get them all?

And speaking of crime shows, what happened to the Timeless announced release of the rest of THE LAWLESS YEARS?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bob Gu said:
This is most welcome news, Bob. Lee Marvin is always great and worth watching in everything he's in. Definitely inked in for the Nov. DD sale.
But, as with the WILLIAM TELL release, I am wondering about the number of episodes: 100 episodes. 17 short of a complete series set?? Why can't they get them all?
And speaking of crime shows, what happened to the Timeless announced release of the rest of THE LAWLESS YEARS?
I can only speculate, but if they are assembling episodes on their own from the collector's market and not getting the prints directly from Universal (as was the case with some of their other Uni-licensed series), that would be a plausible reason for not being able to obtain the entire run. If you're a completist then I understand your disappointment, but 100 of 117 episodes plus a bonus soundtrack works just fine for me.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
100's fine with me too, Bob, I have not seen the show often enough to know what I am missing.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I too wonder why they couldn't get them all; all the episodes are out there as 16 mm prints.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The imdb lists Bob Newhart's first credit as being in "The 26 Girl" episode of M-SQUAD and Don Rickles is in "Pete Loves Mary."

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
M-SQUAD in abundance? Woo-hoo!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
The only disappointment is that it looks like one of the 17 episodes missing from this set is "The Fire Makers", which was the only time (that I'm aware of) where Lee Marvin and James Coburn both appeared in a production (film or TV). But this is such a heapin' helpin' of M-SQUAD, it scarcely matters much!

FrosteyV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Villafana
Wow, this is just awesome news. I guess all hope is NOT lost for some of the great 50's shows.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Bob, thanks for the report. I'm in for this set, although I may wait for the November DD sale before making the purchase. But it's something I definitely plan on buying sooner rather than later.

Gary "still crying over the Fuge fiasco" O.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Wow! Shame about the 17 missing eps and nervous about the price, but this looks like a fun one and a Count Bassie CD to boot? Sign me up!

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for the scoop, Bob.
This is one show I'm not familiar with so I'm definitely interested in picking it up.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Gary OS said:
Bob, thanks for the report. I'm in for this set, although I may wait for the November DD sale before making the purchase. But it's something I definitely plan on buying sooner rather than later.
Personally, I want this release enough to pay the $99.98 freight. But like Gary I'll be putting this on my list for the fall sale. I suspect this will eventually be highly-discounted, since the show isn't mainstream television DVD.
I should also add my appreciation of Timeless' including the RCA score on CD. Some *great* music!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
I'll likely hold off until the Fall DD sale as well unless DVDPacific (down in your neck of the woods) comes in with a good release day price. They generally have the best prices on the Timeless stuff.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
What amazes me that they managed to find as many episodes as they did! 100 out of 117 episodes isn't bad. :)
I think the soundtrack is a great extra bonus :) I wonder what source they mastered that from- from the master tape or an old mint LP :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Saw the news report on this and THE TEXAN and noticed they were looking for the missing episodes "in any format".

Are they that eager to be so complete that they would try to fill out the set with what might turn out to be copies from old VHS or Beta recordings (But watchable) episodes?

Shouldn't they have stressed the need-preference for 16mm prints?

How the heck did they get the rights to THE TEXAN - I thought that was controlled by CBS-Paramount - it's a nice surprise - good series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks