What's new

M. Nights next film "Lady in the Water' (1 Viewer)

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Why "blech" to Howard? Obviously this is just my opinion but -- NOT hot! I was expecting somebody really beautiful in that pool. She's not a stunner, for sure, and not even so good looking in ordinary terms.

(Gwen Stacy my foot...!)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Michael, there are pictures of her as Gwen in the Spider-Man 3 thread. Top of page 22 if you're using forum defaults, post 631 if you're not. Unfortunately, I agree with you about her. The worst part about her Gwendy is that they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to film the movie, but they can't get her a decent bleach job? Looks like straw.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
I must disagree. I think Howard is a very attractive woman with a very sweet, innocent quality to her (probably most prevalent in "The Village".) And I think her look in this film is meant to give her an ethereal, otherworldly quality about her. She's not Darryl Hannah in "Splash"... she's what most likely a real sea nymph would look like... almost animal like.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It sounds like Michael is more bitter about Spider-Man than anything. ;)

Really, I'm glad they didn't go for the "stereotypical" look and did something more "realistic". (as realistic as mermaids get, I guess...)

Jason

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The trailer, to me anyway, looks like more M. Night head games. I'm not falling for it this time, I refuse to be taken in by either the teaser or the trailer as they are probably both misleading. I'm going to wait and see what the film is for myself.

I no longer trust Night to be honest in his trailers.

I'm not allowing myself another let down like I did with The Village, the sheer magnitude to which I hated that film could have been registered on the freakin' rictor scale, even though the trailer for that one got me so excited.

You ain't gettin' me again, Night.

;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

....umm...she's fairly attractive to my eyes, and I generally like bronze skinned brunettes.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Kevin M. I can't help but agree with you. She's attractive in a very real life sort of way, not the "Voluptous Implants" sort of way. I also think that she's extremely talented. While the Village was admittadly not the greatest of MNS' films, whe was extrordinary in it. I'll be looking forward to this film.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hear, hear, Kevin & Casey! She has an inner spark that does not show up in stills but does in film.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I saw a second "spooky" trailer for this film and it was utterly NOT what that first trailer was. Hmph. This kind of pull-the-rug stuff is typical for MNS, right?

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the trailer attached to Superman Returns made this thing look like a big frightening uber-scary supernatural thriller. I didn't know it was going that direction.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I'm not convinced that it is.

Like I indicated, Night is a master manipulator, his trailers make you think the movie is about one thing and it turns out to be completely different.

The marketing behind his films are very dubious, don't trust them.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I think the trailer before Superman Returns ... while a very good trailer on its own merits is a very, very bad idea.

If it's not a horror film then don't market it as such. I think it will inevitably lead to backlash ... but then again it probably may get a lot of the teen audience to see this type of a film whereas they wouldn't otherwise.

It does almost remind me of that "Shining" trailer that someone recut to make it look like a romantic family comedy.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

The marketing behind most films are very dubious. Night isn't alone in that respect. Either you get misleading trailers that aren't what the movie is about, or you get trailers that spell out in bold letters what a movie is about.

Actually, I think the marketing of "Unbreakable" was pretty darn good and was a good setup for what the film was actually about.

Jason

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
If anything, we should get another incredible score by James Newton Howard. His music from all four of M. Night's films have been great! Especially "The Village".

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If anybody is wondering, the song that plays in the teaser trailer is "Mi Mancherai (Il Postino)" by Josh Groban. Translated, it means "I Miss You" I believe. Given that Night has said that E.T. was an influence, and given the basic outline of the story, I think the teaser trailer is more in tone with what the movie is really about than the actual trailer. The actual trailer makes it out to be a scary movie.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I agree. I'm not real big on film scores, but that one got me (especially the violin pieces) for some reason, so I picked it up. I think the only other one I have is Shawshank.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I saw the full trailer tonight before Superman Returns and I must say it looks...different. I'll see it, but I swear, if that monster in the trailer turns out to be some dude merely dressed as a monster,
i'm going to throw fruit at the freakin' screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks