What's new

M. Nights next film "Lady in the Water' (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Really enjoyed the teaser. And I really like the fact that Paul Giamitti is headlining a potential summer blockbuster. Have been a fan of all of M Night's films including "The Village" which I think people got the wrong impression of because of the way it was advertised.

Kami

Screenwriter
So the teaser isn't online yet?

Big M Night fan here. The Village wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Would have been even better if I didn't see the advertising for it.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
That's one of the worst trailers I have ever seen. Never have I seen a trailer that failed to 'grab' me as much as this one.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
A trailer doesn’t need explosions and 1000 cuts to get the attention. It was enough for me; I got the premise and made me interested. It looks like it’s going to be an emotional story not a horror movie. (people seem to expect the wrong movies from him lately!). ;)

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
I like the teaser/trailer as well. It has good music (James Newton Howard probably, although I don't recognize it) and pleasing cinematography. It looks like green is going to be the dominant color for this film. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Who said that it did?

At the same time, a trailer needs to at least try and make it's subject interesting. Let's see, some people swimming and walking around, a sprinkler coming on, a guy fixing and cleaning something, the same guy investigating a noise in a pool... I almost fell asleep. That's not something a movie should offer to do.

And I can appreciate a teaser that doesn't give the whole story away, but it looks like Night's huge ego is at play here and expecting to fill seats on his namesake alone.

At least, that's my opinion. :)

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Man, tough crowd here. I thought it was an interesting teaser. Beautiful music, whoever it was by. It sounded a lot like James Newton Howard's score from The Village, so it could be a piece he composed for Lady In the Water.

For those who hated it, do you remember the first teasers for Signs, The Village, and Unbreakable(which ended up being the only trailer released)? They were constructed very similarly to this one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I do. They were very similar, with one difference: they were actually interesting. "Mundane" best describes this trailer. I don't think I'm missing anything, either: Cleveland Heep is barely eking out a living as the custodian of a posh apartment complex. He's pretty much invisible to those who live there: they carry on private conversations as though he's not there, bump into him, etc. But, he has the soul of a poet and is secretly writing a great work of some kind. His life changes when he finds a sea nymph in the pool. I bet she'll encourage him to publish. :emoji_thumbsup:

And, because everybody does it with M. Night's work:

Sixth Sense--blown away by the twist, didn't much care for the movie otherwise

Unbreakable--really good movie, own it on DVD

Signs--only saw it once, liked it pretty well

Village--wanted to see it, but word of mouth kept me away. I've avoided spoilers and do hope to see it some day.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
See, what I really loved about the teaser was that in those few seconds I could totally feel the loneliness for the character. I think it was brilliantly conveyed and that right there got me to want to see it. That sadness.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Since I believe The Village to be his best work, I am really looking forward to this.

Ghost story, Superhero story, Alien movie, Monster in the woods, now possibly Fairy tale? What's next for M. Night? Whatever it is, I bet he will have his own unique way of retelling a classic genre story. Gangster film perhaps? Sword and Sandal? Man vs. Nature? All of the above with dinosaurs and robots? I sure hope so :p

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I too feel the Village is Night's most accomplished work. The man's successful reworking of so many different genres while maintaining his own strong style is, to me, a sign of greatness. I am puzzled as to why everyone accuses him of overreliance on twist endings. By my count, only 2 of his movies have them.

Very excited for this. Definnitely looks like green will be the dominant color. Those opening slow-motion shots are amazing. Could've done without the "there was a man named Cleveland Heep," though.

Regards,
Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks