What's new

M&K vs. SVS (1 Viewer)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that there is a problem with the debate, unless it turns ugly, but I don't think it will.

And yes, sound quality is always a debate. But, can anyone say Sunfire sounds better than M&K without a nervous twitch. People that aren't audiophiles say that the M&K sounds better but they aren't sure why.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
M&K definitely better than sunfire, sunfire makes terrible subs. But they aren't designed to be great subs but rather to be small primarily.

Seth, where are you located, maybe there are SVS users near you?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I live in Fort Wayne, IN which is just south of Michigan and west to Ohio.

I don't think that Sunfire is the worst, and I got a good deal on mine, only $450. It of course didn't beat the M&K for $350. It is nice for a bedroom or den.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Seth

You got a killer deal on the MX100. Based on everything you have said, if I were you, I would be looking elsewhere in your system for somewhere to upgrade :)

What display are you using?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
My current system:

JVC AV-27F703 27" Flat CRT Television
Toshiba SD-9000 DVD player
Rotel RSP-960AX Pre/Pro
Carver AV-505 5 channel amp
Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player
PSB Century 600i front speakers
Infinity Interlude 10's surrounds (But currently in my bedroom)
M&K MX-100
Sunfire True Subwoofer MKI (planning to sell)
Audio Quest, StraightWire, Acoustic Research, and Monster interconnect (depending on devices connected, For example PD-65 to Pre is straightwire and pre to amp is also straightwire. Video is Monster

I know the TV is in need of an upgrade, but I want to wait and see what happens with HDMI, DVI, HD-DVD, and Blu-Ray. The same goes for a new Processor. Another thing I would like to upgrade is my front speakers.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Seth

With all due respect, your display is easily in need of upgrading. One of the forum sponsors, TVA, has the 50 inch Panasonic PX60U plasma for a great price. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price.

Man, oh man, going from your 27 inch 4:3 CRT to a 50 inch 16:9, top rated plasma will blow away any other changes to your system.

Upgrading the weakest link in your system is the way to go. You can wait for the dust to settle till the cows come home :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
With a 1:78 wide screen DVD, your 27 gives you 262 square inches of screen area. With a 50 inch 16:9, you have 1068 inches of screen area.

Alan M

Second Unit
"It's always fun to debate any of the Alans on the forum ."

Lol,thanks Arthur.You made me laugh in the middle of the day :)

"So Alan, you are saying that Seths MX-100 is comparable to your MX-2000? Might as well say it is comparable to the MX-5000, which I have a full review of. Do you seriously doubt that the SVS 16-46 Plus will not have more output from 12-18 Hz than the MX-100? What kind of output does your MX-2000 have in the 10Hz-14 Hz range?"

Nope ,I never said any of the above.Seth's mx-100 was next in line below my mx-2000.Since both models have long been out of M&K's line up,theres no way to compare other then listening or RTI software.

As to the SVS's output,I have no doubt in my mind that the SVS rocks in the 12 to 18hz.The SVS will have more output in the 12 to 18 hz range then the 100.I'd be an idiot to debate that with you:)

As for my MX-2000,after I return from my business trip(returning oct 1),A buddy with Room eq wiz will be coming over to test the mx for db output in all freq ranges.I do have a strong hunch that the 15 to 20 hz response will surprise both of us :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Alan

I looked up the MX2000 in the discontinued subs section of the M&K site. That sub draws 6 amps! Must have been just a small step down from the MX-5000. Though with the odd numbering system M&K used, perhaps the MX-2000 was a higher model than the MX-5000. The MX-5000 was rated as having a 400 watt amp. Pretty clear yours is a fine sub. FWIW, in the Don Keele review of the MX-5000, he was able to achieve a peak output of 106 db (corrected for room gain) at 20Hz. The FR falls off below 40 Hz. You may still be able to see the MX-5000 review at the M&K site. The MX-5000 still is a very heavy hitter almost 15 years down the line.

I'm sure your MX-2000 will measure very, very well in-room. FWIW, according to D.B. Keele, noted speaker tester and former employee of JBL, the following corrections for room gain apply: @20Hz = 8db; @50Hz = 4.5 db; @100Hz = 2db. Again, as noted above, Keele measured 106db @20Hz after applying the 8db room correction reduction for the MX-5000.

Looking forward to your testing results after your trip :)

Alan M

Second Unit
Thanks Arthur for the info on the room corrections.

My MX-2000 was M&K's very first push pull design sub,circa 1990.Unlike most of M&K's line up,my subwoofers are in each side of the cabinet(no sub facing downward as in all the rest of M&K's push pull designs..

When I took it to M&K for a refurb,they nick named it the air conditioner,due to its vent on the side for the amp and its size :)

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Seth... I'll sell you my 20" Sanyo... :laugh::laugh:
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Alan M

Second Unit
Seth,
While you may not be getting the lowest of the lows with your MX-100,you still have a great sub.One of the better consumer subs in the market place.
I would agree,put your money into other upgrades,and enjoy your sub.

Alan M

Second Unit
"How much would the MX-2000 have been new?"

According to M&K,in 1989,the sub retail was $1895.00.I picked it up for a the cost of a good lunch :) Even with the refurb cost figured in,it was still a bargain.
You can see the MX-2000 on the M&K site,if you look at their timeline.Notice the driver,thats a 12" driver ,then look at the size of the rest of the cabinet :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I have seen one before, it is pretty darn big. For the original retail that was still a pretty good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks