What's new

M K THX Speakers (1 Viewer)

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
I am about to upgrade my RPTV and want to upgrade my speaker system as well. The local home theater store is highly recommending a $2,500 M K speaker config. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
M&K is highly respected brand that sounds great for both movies and music. Which setup is he highly recommending?

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
LCR 750 THS, 2 ea for $650, Center 750 THS for $325, 2ea 550 THX for rear/surround at $500, and MX 105 sub for $810, all stands for $280.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Is this system new in the box? The MX105 has been discontinued for a while. I think the replacement is the V-1250.

Demas

Agent
Joe, i'm basically in the same boat as you, but i've heard nothing but great reviews thus far on all M&K speakers.Just remember that M&K are used in leading recording studio's, which is a good testament to their reputation as quality speakers.

Although i'm trying to decide whether to go Paradigm studio 40 s or the m&k 750thx frontspeakers with subwoofer(not m&k)of course.I once heard the 750thx speakers(about 6 months ago) and the sound quality, particularly the mid-range was unbelievable as well as having well-refined high frequencies.All m&k speakers are bass shy, so a subwoofer is mandatory with any of them as most of them drop down to 80hz.

As this thread is directed towards subjective sound quality with m&k speakers, can anyone give their views on the studio 40's in relation to other costly speakers, such as the m&k speakers? Anyone own the 750 thx select speakers, and can you give your thoughts as to what they would compare to? All i know is that when i heard the 150thx speaker system, i felt so depressed that i would/could never afford such a system, but the lower m&k systems are not far behind and are more similiar than different, according to the salesman that i spoke to.

The only problem with thx speakers(at least in reviews) is that for music they can sound overly bright, a bit forward, in your face type of speaker.I'm sure the right type of amplification can correct this.Joe, do you want speakers specifically for movie playback?

Demas

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I do not find the M&K's in your face, forward or bright. I find them accurate. If you are looking for an editorialized version of the music, look elsewhere. If you want to know what the producer, sound engineer,, etc., heard when making the cd or dvd, get the M&Ks.

I have lived with many, many speakers over the years. I have had the M&Ks the longest: they are simply transparent to the source. Leave your audiophile bullsh*t home when auditioning them: terms like smooth, sweet, etc, do not apply. They measure and sound flat which, to me, translates to a speaker that you won't grow tired of.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

Here's what my home theater guy said about the M & K sub:

"The MX105MKII is a current production model and will be produced again on 03-12-03, According to M&K they have no plans to discontinue this model. The V1250THX is just a lesser expensive model, that is another option for a 750 system. In my opinion a push pull MX series woofer is always superior to V series woofers."

Demas,

The speakers will get 90% usage for movies, 10% for music.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Just called M&K to confirm. Evidently your dealer is right and the M&K web site is wrong!!! The MX105II has not been discontinued according to M&K, the webmaster made a mistake. It was the 200 they have discontinued. If it's all new in box, factory sealed, I'd go for it.

Demas

Agent
I heard that m&k speakers suck up power quite quickly, so a beafy amp will be needed in order to push them hard.

As always, what sounds good to one person, could sound different to another, and so forth, but i think that you need to take into consideration the audiophile(:D colourful bullsh*t), as it might be easier to find out what you like, whether it sounds bright or forward.In fact this is the correct way of purchasing, other than just listening and purchasing without finding any faults in the sound that could determine long or short term use.

Tony, in your opinion, which speaker would you favor, the paradigm 40's or 750thx speakers?

Demas

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Demas:

I have never heard either of them, so I favor neither. My comments were with regard to M&K's design philosophy. As I mentioned in a previous post (to you), I own M&K S150's. Since I've never heard either speaker, I cannot give you my opinion. Sorry.

The point regarding audiophile bull had nothing to do with nerves and everything to do with describing an accurate speaker. Audiophiles tend to describe sound in terms of soundstage, depth, smooth, sweet, etc. I prefer to describe sound in terms of faithfulness to the original sound.

kosha

Auditioning
I recently purchased two LCR750, one center 750, two rear 550's and MX-150 subwoofer (step up from MX-105) and paid $2104 plus $110 shipping. I added a pair of Surround 55's later and paid $560 plus $30 shipping.

Even though I do not own a THX certified receiver, the sound quality I hear from this setup is simply amazing.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
We compared the Paradigm studio 40's directly at my home to my M&K 150's.

I prefer'd the M&K's. The paradigms are brighter and more fatiguing to listen to IMHO. Another attendee who was actually trying to decide between the 2 purchased the M&K's the following week. ( we did the faceoff on his behalf to help him decide which he liked)

I've heard the 750's but not together with paradigm or 150's. I'd still have to give the nod to M&K due to their sound quality and reproduction.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
I repair loudspeakers for a living at the #1 M&K retailer in the country, and I can very much attest to the high quality of M&K's products, up and down their entire line and all the way back to their first woofer and satellite :)

I've serviced hundreds of M&K's over the years, and I just love the way they are built, and the quality of components they use is excellent. Very technician-friendly, too! ;)

M&K is a total pleasure for me to deal with, and they go to great lengths to please and accommodate any special needs I have to please M&K customers, moreso than any other speaker company (although Martin Logan is also excellent in these repects as well).

For my needs at home, I find M&K works best for me...and I can choose from Vienna Acoustics, Martin Logan, Boston Acoustics, Sonus Faber, and Definitive Technology in our speaker lines. I prefer the M&K's for their accuracy, dynamics, looks, and overall sound as a complete system. Considering that many of the top films have been mixed on M&K systems speaks volumes. 10 year warranty on their monitors/satellites and 5 years on their subs is certainly nice. M&K is also used at Dolby Labs, DTS Labs, Skywalker Sound/Lucasfilm just to name a few.

I use my A/V system for 50% DVDs, 45% videogaming, and 5% or less for tv/satellite viewing. I listen to music VERY infrequently at home as I listen to it all day at work whilst repairing speakers :)

My system consists of an MX150IITHX sub, S125 monitors on the module/stands for mains, S100B center, and SS150THX surrounds. Shortly, I'll be adding another set of SS150THX surrounds for use as back surrounds.

I listen to fine speakers constantly, and M&K is my choice. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with M&K again.

Having said that, speakers are a very subjective thing. This is why there are so many brands out there; some people like bright, some like 'bassy', some like honky, some like small, big, on and on.

Joe, I recommend you get what sounds good to YOU. Try auditioning as many brands as you can with material that is very familiar to you (favorite CD and DVD), and go from there. Your ear won't lie. Have fun with your shopping, and make sure that your dealer is also an authorized servicer for whatever brand you are interested in.

So ends my M&K gush :b :D

Cheers,
Dan 'The Speakerman' Simes

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks everyone for the responses! You all have been an enormous help. I just wonder why I didn't get half the responses on my other post in the screen area for advice on purchasing a Mitsu WS65611...

Again, thanks so much to everyone.

Ok, one last question for Dan the Speakerman. I don't have a THX receiver, just a Denon (3 year old model comparable to the AVR 1082, I think). Can I get by with this for a while, before I can afford a better one?

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Joe, you'll get by just fine. I've been using a Sony STRDA50ES (100 X 5...probably a clean 75 X 5) for years with no problems, and my buddy has been using a Denon receiver much like yours on his M&K system as well.

I've just received my shiny new B&K AVR507 yesterday, and look forward to hearing the difference it'll make :)

On the Mits TV thing...I've got a WS55809 and just love it. Of course, if Pioneer wasn't so expensive, I might have gone that direction, but overall my Mits is very pleasing to my eye, and a better value. They're well-made, solid sets with sharp pictures, and easy to adjust/navigate.

Cheers!

Dan

Demas

Agent
I prefer'd the M&K's. The paradigms are brighter and more fatiguing to listen to IMHO
Hi Brian, are the paradigm far off in quality or are there subtle differences that give the fatiguing nature.I ask because, the 150's are much more expensive than the studio 40's, and know that the 150's are exceptional speakers.

Are the 40's so far off compared to the 150's(in your opinion) that they would border into another different quality level altogether, or would they sound very similiar with the slight variance in treble detail, mids..ect?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks