M&k 750 Ii Thx

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ajeel, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Ajeel

Ajeel Auditioning

hi,

Is Denon 4802r a good choice for M&K 750 II THX speakers set? or should i consider the pioneer vsx47tx or ... .
    Please help for best match.

Thank you

2. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I was recently told that the m&k's need good power to drive them and that denon wouldn't match well with them. Try going the seperates route or maybe a high power yamaha receiver.

3. Ajeel

Ajeel Auditioning

thanks chris

4. Chris Tabor

No problem, i'll be able to tell you more in about a week when I get all my stuff. That way it'll be a hands on opinion and not just through speculation.

5. Ajeel

Ajeel Auditioning

Thanks again, I e-mailed M&K for some questions, one was which receiver (Denon 4802r or Pioneer vsx47tx) is better for the 750thx speakers. They said
    " The Denon is far and away the best.
    We even use them here for testing,
    trade shows, etc. "
    I think I will go with 4802r.

[​IMG]

6. Chris Tabor

Thats funny because the "authorized dealer" turned me away from denon and recommended a seperates amp because of their needs for lots of power. Like I said, I'll be able to give you a hands on beings I own the 4802 and will be getting the other stuff in about a week. However mine will be the s150thx.

7. Tom McA

Tom McA Stunt Coordinator

My Sony STR-DA4ES receiver drives my M&K 850 series speakers quite nicely. Movies and music sound great.

If a separate amp isn't in your budget, a reasonably powerful receiver ought to work just fine for you.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I believe that the M&K's would definitely be better served with separates if you can afford them, but I see no reason why the 4802 couldn't power them efficiently. Chris, what higher power Yamaha currently avaiable do you recommend over the Denon 4802? I don't think any existing Yamaha or Denon AVR's would best good separates for his setup imho.

Reg

9. Chris Tabor

I was thinking more along the lines of the yamaha sound than the actual power I guess. I know that my 4802 with my klipsch set up sounded pretty good but a friend of mine has the same klipsch setup with a yamaha that just blows me away. The sound is unreal that comes out of those things. I think yamaha as a better amp end than denon does. Thats just with my own experiences.

10. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

It's most likely the difference in room acoustics and setup than sonic differences between the receivers.

11. Chris Tabor

I don't know, i've heard his setup in two completely different rooms when he moved and it still blew mine away.

12. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Chris,

What Yamaha model is your friend using? I must admit that I've only heard the sub 1K Yamaha's which never did much for me when it came to music production (I personally have a NAD T762). It could be that your friends combo is just right for his type of speakers imho. Denon and Yamaha both use similar quality amps, so I doubt this is where the difference is. I have an M&K dealer nearby, and they've always told me that when you move into S150 territory to go with separates. Anything short of this will not do them much justice, though they would sound fine with a flagship receiver from Yamaha, Denon, etc; The 750's otoh, have a lower sensitivity rating and can be more easily powered by a middle of the line AVR like the Denon 3803 or Yamaha 1400. Either way, you can't go wrong with M&K. Ajeel may want to consider the NAD T773 which retails for about $1800, It should be streeting anyday now and is rated 110wpc x 7 into 4 ohms! (which is what the 750's are I believe). The amps in the NAD's are incredible for what you're paying, and music will never sound better on any other AVR in the price range imho.

Good luck,

Reg

13. Chris Tabor

Not sure on the model but i know its an older receiver. It only supports 5.1. I believe it was around $1000 when it came out.

14. Al_Swanson

Al_Swanson Agent

I power my 750's (along with the SS-150's and MX5000MKII I managed to score) with a 3801. Did that after talking to onkyo and denon as well as M&K. Onkyo stated their machines didn't like 4ohms and Denon said no problem. M&K specifically said Denon was a great choice.
    I have never looked back. In fact, I would love to upgrade to a 4802!!!