What's new

Lutron Maestro IR Issues (1 Viewer)

jmowbray

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Hello all this is my first time on this site. Talk about a lot of information!!!!! A little background about the room is that this house is owned by my parents currently and all renovation/cost/ideas go through them. The room is almost complete as the only thing left is to resurface the hard wood floor and paint the walls.

I seem to be having a issue with some of my theatre components. I'm running a DG-747 with 7.1 Onkyo system, sony BlueRay all ran with a Harmony 1100. I recently went out and purchased a Maestro IR dimmer (MIR-600M-WH) to run with my harmony (bc lets be real....controlling lights while watching a movie is COOL!!!) The lighting in the room is 6 6" recessed light cans. Currently there are CFLs in the cans until the renovation on the room in complete. Today the dimmer came and I installed it noticed the CFLs going crazy which I knew was an issue with the low voltage and compatibility with the dimmer. I have TCP 65 watt retrofit dimmable LED inserts for the room already purchased (which the parents purchased and love no changing their mind). I did a test with the dimmer and the LEDs they fade in and out with the remote perfect. Only one BIIIIGGGG issue though. When they fade out THEY DON"T GO OFF ALL THE WAY!!!!. I have no clue what to do. My parents are sticking with LED lights as the whole house contains them and that's what they want no questions. I feel like I have just wasted $40+ for a dimmer and face plate that wont ever work. I only hooked one light up would hooking all 6 make a difference? I also tried to set the lower dim level on the dimmer but it was already as low as it goes or I did it wrong.

Please someone I need some serious help!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I can't speak specifically about LEDs on dimmers (but everyone I've heard whose tried them said they didn't work well - even the "dimmable" ones).

As for the Lutron Maestro dimmer, I have one set up in my theater (actually, I wired two in a 3-way setup) and even with non-LED bulbs, the "dimming" does not go completely off.

I guess the thinking is, if you want it dim, use the dimmer. If you want it off turn it off. That being said, you should be able to program the harmony the way you want it - the remote controller that comes with the dimmer has 5 functions:
- All on (top white square button)
- All off (bottom white square button)
- On to my "preset level" - silver round button
- Step up/Step down - skinny buttons to the side of the big square buttons.

I have my harmony set up so that when I power on my system, the lights come up to my preset level (silver button). When I power everything off, the lights will turn off (dim to off over about a second - I think that's standard).

I have programmed two unused buttons on my "Watch TV" and "Watch Blu-Ray" activities on the harmony to step up/step down. When I watch a movie, I generally use these to dim the lights as low as they will go (which, as you noted, is still on).

I could just as easily program another button on the Harmony to turn the lights all the way off - I just don't feel the need.

If you want to turn the lights off all the way, you simply need to add that function to an unused button on the Harmony (though if you include "All off" you'll likely want to include "All on" or "Preset On" as well, so you don't get "stuck" with the lights off).

jmowbray

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
Thanks for all the responses guys. I think I have found a solution. Adding a regular 75 watt light in series has did the trick and gets the lights all the way off. My dad wanted to run and feed in the attic for a light any way so it will hey get connected to the theatre lighting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks