Lumet S.E's in Feb 06

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    DOG DAY AFTERNOON and NETWORK will both be released as SEs on February 28th, alongside ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. They will feature commentaries by Lumet and more, and all three of these films will reportedly be released in a box set together, as well as separately.

2. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Nice! I've been waiting forever for a decent DVD of Network.

3. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    UPDATE - they'll be 2-disc editons and will include documentaries. The Box-Set will reportedly street one week earlier than the individual releases.

4. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Sweet! That should be a really brilliant boxset.

Not that I don't believe you, Anthony, but where are you getting this info from?

5. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

Awesome, finally a decent edition of Network! Dog Day Afternoon ain't no slouch either. Definitely another must-buy Warner set for me.

[​IMG]

6. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

I don't know where Anthony saw it, but there's a similar thread at the DVD Talk forums where the poster says it's in todays 'USA Today', so it's definitely kosher.

7. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

Hopefully, WB would bring out their other Lumet titles: PRINCE OF THE CITY, THE SEA GULL, BYE BYE BRAVERMAN, GARBO TALKS!, THE HILL, JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, and THE APPOINTMENT. They need not be SEs, but they would certainly attest to Lumet's range and versatility.

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Oh great, Warners is up to their boxset tricks agian all ready in 2006. Bye bye money, nice knowing you![​IMG]

Great news, I've never seen, but always meant to watch the above 3. Looks like agreat way to get them!

9. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Ah, OK. I can't find it on the USA Today website, but maybe it's just in the print edition.

Most of us already know this, I'm sure, but this wouldn't actually be a "Lumet" box set, since Alan Pakula directed All the President's Men.

10. Jing_B

Jing_B Stunt Coordinator

OMG NETWORK!!! FINALLY![​IMG]

11. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I saw NETWORK on a high definition broadcast this past Sunday, and I'm guessing a downconverted transfer of that version will be on the DVD. Well, it looks just AMAZING - especially compared to the RED PRINT they used for the last video release! I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT when I got that DVD in 1998 - my fullframe Laserdisc from the early 90's was better!

Well, it appears a new color-corrected print has been struck - I couldn't believe how rich some of the colors were - a lot of it still looks bland, but there are touches of color that just were muddled before.

I had worried that the elements on this film were maybe beyond repair. Well, they weren't :)

12. markc

markc Extra

Dont forget Failsafe

13. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

And how about Anamorphic DEATHTRAP and RUNNING ON EMPTY!

14. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Looking forward to the long awaited Dog Day Afternoon SE at last. [​IMG]

15. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Woohoo! I've been wanting to buy Dog Day Afternoon for a long time, but waiting for a better DVD. My patience is rewarded.

16. Richard Matich

Richard Matich Stunt Coordinator

Oh my God!!! At last. Three movies my sister and I are passionate about. We love em. I can't wait. [​IMG]

17. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

[​IMG]

Lumet's best!

18. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Fleshing out the earlier news, now posted at the USA Today website:

A trio of seminal films dealing with the media are being primed for special-edition treatment by Warner Home Video. A new two-disc All the President's Men ($27) arrives right after Presidents Day on Feb. 21. In addition to a commentary from Robert Redford, whose Wildwood Productions produced the film, the new DVD includes segments about the making of the film and the recent revelation of Deep Throat.

Then on Feb. 28, Warner will release new two-DVD editions of Network and Dog Day Afternoon ($27, separately, or $60 in a box set with All the President's Men). Each has a commentary by director Sidney Lumet; Al Pacino participates in a making-of Dog Day documentary, as does Faye Dunaway for Network. The films, say Warner's George Feltenstein, "are as sharp, pointed and as powerful today as the day they were made. ... They came out as vanilla DVDs, (and) we knew they needed revisiting."

19. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

Makes we wish I didn't spend $15-$20 apiece on the original dvds of these three. If the box set is reasonably priced it would be an easy way to upgrade all three at once. The original release of "All the President's Men" just might be the worst looking transfer in my entire collection.

20. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

The boxset will be mine. But really, isn't it time that 12 Angry Men get's the SE treatment as well?