What's new

Lucky (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Did anyone else watch this tonight? After 24 I started craving a new episode of the Shield but I found this to be a good substitute. I did find it odd that it was only a half hour but I guess they are pushing this more as comedy than drama.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I think I've discovered my new favorite show in LUCKY! Entertaining as hell, especially the way Lucky got the $2500. And Dan H. reading the comic off Lucky's bleeding head was classic! Thank God it's on FX, as it won't be quickly cancelled like on ABC.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I am pissed that I missed it since I have been waiting over a month for it:angry:. I couldn't get home all day until 9:15pm and my Direct TV had it playing at 7pm instead of 10pm. The Shield was like that to so I shouldn't be surprised but I still am pissed.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The early reviews that I read of this show left me somewhat perplexed. I couldn't tell if it was going to be a quirky comedy or a serious reflection on the serious problem of gambling addiction. I have a relative who has suffered with a gambling addiction, so I wasn't sure how I would react. Interestingly enough, the official website is running a contest to win a trip to Vegas.

After watching the first episode, I can safely say that it falls in a Elmore Leonard-esque ("Get Shorty", "Out of Sight") genre of odd characters and cool music.

I really enjoyed the half-hour format. Any longer and the show would have likely slipped into too much melodrama. The format left me wanting to see more of these characters.

The question will be this: How long will audiences tune in to see episodes about a guy who is trying to stop gambling, but gets pulled back in.

The gimmick will eventually run dry. Fortunately, in its current format, and with a 13 episode run, that shouldn't be a big problem. But shows have fallen victim to that before.

John Corbett is good in the title role. He has a likable appeal, but also has a certain amount of "greasiness" to pull off the role. He is a protagonist straight out of an Elmore Leonard novel.

The other players in the show are good as well. Ever Carradine as potential love interest Theresa is a great actress. I liked her a lot on "Once and Again."

There were moments of real hilarity. I won't give anything away, but the scene where Lucky's buddy Vinny runs out into the street was hiliarious.

In some respects, the show's view of Vegas and gambling doesn't seem terribly cautionary. I don't know if this is good or bad. It isn't preachy, which I think is a positive thing.

However, the characters have this sort of "quirky-down-on-their-luck-and-suffering-from-an-addiction-but -still-cool" thing going on.

The show is intriguing, and the cast is excellent.

Basic cable is developing a very good reputation for solid programming. It has gotten to the point where I view these shows as more "Must See" than anything on the regular networks.

They even showed a commercial for a show called "Nip & Tuck" coming to FX that looks intriguing.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I liked it, but not sure if I like the part of him being a gambler anonymous, . After all, he won a mill in the poker championship, it's a career for him not an addiction
But Corbett is extremely likeable and the supporting cast looks very solid. I also like the fact that the show is a half hour. Could be pretty solid. Boy did Corebtt make the right move with this show over the Fat Wedding Disaster of a Sitcom.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I guess what I am saying if he is that good at poker.. he should be able to stay ahead of the game almost all of the time.

Nevertheless looks like a fun show.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I enjoyed it, but I was frustrated that they didn't show the winning hands for the poker championship. Lots of chips being pushed around is interesting for people who don't play poker, but I wanted to see what cards these guys were playing. :)

Brad

Lorne.t

Auditioning
An enjoyable first episode.
I think that a lot of back story will come out regarding his wife,maybe in flashbacks as we didn't see why her parents were the way they were...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Pretty decent episode tonight, if not as inspired as last week's pilot. My only concern is that it doesn't become a "Lucky reverts back to gambling yet AGAIN to pay off the debt-of-the-week." Liked how he gave the scam artist the money because she reminded him of his dead wife. I love how utterly effortless the comedy of the show is, as well as the pervasive atmosphere... Vegas feels like it's closing in on him.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have to wonder if this show will dissolve into the gambling scam-of-the-week variety. Sure, there's probably quite a few scams to go through, but I can't see this show finding its legs if it goes this route. Lucky is probably going to be about "the means justify the ends" with a bit of "do the right thing" sprinkled in on a weekly basis.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I don't think Dan Hedaya is going to be a regular character considering he only got the "and Dan Hedaya" listing in the credits. They'll probably move away from having Lucky-owes him-money-and-must-gamble plots into Lucky-helps-his-friends plots.

One thing that bugs me is that FX is promoting the show saying that it has John Corbett in "the role of his career" or something like that. I would imagine that "Chris in the Morning" will always be the "role of his career", and that's a good thing.

Brad

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I thought tonight's episode was great and a welcome departure from Lucky must resort to gambling plot that everyone above seemed to fear.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Last night's episode, "Up the steaks" was the first one I saw, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, at least enough to keep watching.

I liked how Corbett played the title character, both confident and insecure at the same time, and very likeable. His two friends didn't get much airtime, so I don't know much about them, but they seemed like fun characters.

In fact, that's my main complaint: the episode was too short! I would have preferred it as an hourlong show instead, which would give more time to flesh out the characters and the story. As it was now, a lot of things happened a little too fast to make a real impact.

The other thing I didn't like was how Las Vegas seemed oddly empty... and what was with every exterior shot being from a "frog perspective"?

But like I said, overall an enjoyable show that I'll tune in to again.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Benson: As probably the first one here to make that bitch, I have to agree. I'm very happy that they're keeping things varied. Lucky's indignant scream out the window after the rival company throws the potroast through the window was absolutely classic ("Bastards!"). While not as overall "Ha ha" funny as The Simpsons, it earns the laughs; every episode so far has had at least one think that has me rolling, which an engaging storyline around it. FX is fast emerging as a significant contributor of quality original programming.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught the "meat" episode tonight (baseball has sidetracked me from the usual showing of Lucky) and was happy to find it still quirky and snappy. There was something about everyone admiring Lucky's bologna that I found repeatedly funny. How long is this show running? Limited or through the summer?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The "chicken fighting" episode:

Okay, this week's episode was just a bit unbelievable:

Ain't no way Lucky walks away from 4 kings AFTER going all the way in for the pot to go chasing after the "chick" :D . That ranks of "movie" realism, not reality realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks