What's new

Lucky Louie (1 Viewer)

James St

Supporting Actor

I thought he said that about his mother? Though I wish John Goodman would have said that in Rosanne.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
er, yeah. you're right. oh well. also:

the same kind of guy who buys a 5 year old girl a gun for her birthday, I guess.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I can see the potential in the show.

No, I'm not talking about the nudity. Yeesh! :D

What the series needs is time. HBO is basically exploring new territory here: a no-holds-barred sitcom full of swearing, bitching, bad fucking and uncompromised casual(?) nudity. There will most likely be a lot of experimentation in the first season. But with time and some proper weeding of concepts that don't work, the series could become a success. Since HBO is a subscription based service, it's more likely the show won't be canceled halfway through the season before having a decent chance to prove itself. And even if it fails, the lessons they learn from this show will help produce better shows later.

Maybe we're so spoiled by the high level of quality coming from HBO that we have a problem accepting a failure from them. Yet, we're pretty used to seeing endless failures from the Big Four broadcast networks.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think the jokes or at least the concepts are funny, but not always in their execution on the show. Most of that fault falls on the actors. They are horrible at delivering lines. Hopefully they improve as time goes on.

I think I've had my fill of dick and balls on the show though.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe anyone would pay $300 for a doll they can't fuck.

*grabs the doll and examines it* ...there's gotta be some way to fuck it.

That made me LOL harder than anything I've seen in a while.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
Man...I love this show. Needs a bit of work, but its still funny. I really enjoyed the 3rd ep. I guarantee that if this show has a Sopranos-esque dream sequence most of you would be all over it. :)

KyleC

Supporting Actor

Absolutely. Louis CK, Pam Adlon and their kid are THE worst on the show. Their delivery of lines is so cringe worthy it's sad. The kid keeps looking at the crew during her scenes and is just awful.

The only reason I still watch it is that I think Norton is hilarious when he's on OnA. He's funny on the show but basically playing himself.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
hehe ... I think most of you are missing the style of this show ... the "delivery" and non rehearshed bad theater style IS part of the fun. it seems that it is done that way on purpose.

even the set decoration is way too minimal ... it's like a stand-up/sitcom combination.

i still maintain its genius :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I don't really buy that the bad 'delivery' is on purpose, because it isn't everyone. It is only coming from those that can't act.

It is kind of like Seinfeld, he couldn't act either, but he was surrounded by people who could and slowly did come into his groove. I'm hoping for the same here only there are a few more than just one that needs to come into their groove.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Yeah: Premise is okay. Some of the lines are funny. It's the execution where the show fails. If they're trying for such poor production values that it makes the show not worth watching, then they've succeeded.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see any bad delivery of lines. And the poor production values add to the charm, what's so bad about it? What are you expecting? $10 million dollar budgets? It's a sitcom, taped with a live audience.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I don't think being a live sitcom excuses the poor acting on the part of supporting characters, the poor staging, etc. There have been a lot of live sitcoms that were a lot better than this.

Really, the only good performance I've seen is the wife.

If this wasn't summer, this should would be dead already.

Alex F

Stunt Coordinator
again, there is no 'poor' acting. and the staging is perfectly adequate. to each their own, I guess.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Ralph and Alice Kramden's apartment was more sparse and it didn't detract one iota from The Honeymooners.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird, but I don't really pay too much attention to the set design (or lack of it), I just wish they could find more clever ways to use those R-rated cuss words, otherwise, it's just boring to listen to the dialogue spoken on this show so far.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I love Jim Norton, and it's the only reason that I still bother
to watch Lucky Louie.

But I gotta tell yuh, the show isn't funny and the dialogue delivery
is so deadpan that I can't believe that it's being done on purpose.

I'd be surprised if this show continues beyond the fall.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I believe you're mistaken. The Kramden apartment had a more lived-in look.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Walter, Jerry Minor's character for example is genius with his deadpan delivery ...

I agree with the Jerry Seinfeld comment above, and Jerry never learned how to act throughout the years ... was never a big fan of his comedy to begin with, but I always felt he had this smile/smirk on his face, like he was laughing at his own jokes. Great show though ...

Curb Your Enthusiasm is another show filled with poor acting ... It's the comedy that sucks you in.

Lucky Louie ... well they are on the vulgar side of the spectrum ...

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Lucky Louie has been getting better and better each week. It's been a long time since I've laughed at a sitcom as hard as I did with last night's episode.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sorry, guys. I stoppd watching it a week ago.

I don't think I had 1 laugh during any of the 5 episodes aired
thus far.

I really wanted to like this show -- especially for Jim Norton --
but in my opinion, the show is just awful. I'm sure it will be
canceled shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks