What's new

Lucille Ball Collection from Warner (1 Viewer)

DaveK

Second Unit
So when will the artwork be available to view????

Also, I noticed that when watching Lucy's RKO movies (back in November on TCM), the opening logo for a lot of her post-1937 flicks says "A Radio Production" (although RKO changed this to "An RKO Radio Production" around that time).
The movie title is frozen for a few seconds, then it jumps to the cast list....Why is this happening???

Check the 2 Annabel flicks, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It would be nice if Warners would use the original Bob Peak art work for "Mame" It's stunning - but on all of their previous video releases they used some other art.

Corey

Screenwriter
the artwork for the big street is gorgeous. lucille really was a stunner and i also like mame's artwork.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
All that atwork is amazing. Vintage poster art is just beautiful.

But I was under the impression Best Foot Forward would be included in the box...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

When RKO films were sold to TV in the 1950's a deal was made with C&C Cola
to distribute the films on TV. Part of the deal was that the RKO name be removed from the films and replaced with C&C Movietime
Sadly this was done on the negatives . Many of the RKO B films lost their original RKO openings and title cards. Still frames were made which is why you see the frozen movie titles and the wrong RKO opening on some films.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member

No, it clearly stated that Best Foot Forward would be separate from the set itself. But it's gonna be fun to see Nancy Walker, June Allyson and Gloria deHaven at the start of their film careers! And of course, Lucy herself. I hope this leads to more of her films being released on DVD....

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
Best Foot Forward was on TCM recently. Although it's an interesting movie, it's not really much of a "Lucy" film. She plays herself, Lucille Ball, and she's really just window dressing. All the plot and action happens around her and doesn't really include her at all. She's basically a movie star sitting around in a hotel room for the entire picture. Seeing it made me wonder what kind of politics was involved in making that movie (did they just need a bigger star's name in the credits to try to make it more popular?).

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The original Broadway show was about a movie star asked to attend the dance at a military academy, but the movie star was fictitious (Gale Joy, played by Rosemary Lane.) MGM decided to use a real movie star -- but it couldn't be one who was too big at the time (I doubt Katharine Hepburn or Greer Garson would agree to such a scheme in real life.) Lucille Ball was the perfect choice, as a mid-level MGM star, and the whole thing foreshadows her wacky schemes as the Lucy character. I agree, though; I wish she had more to do.

DaveK

Second Unit

It's funny you mention that because Ann Sothern was originally supposed to be the female lead in Dubarry Was A Lady, but she became pregnant at the time.

My question is if Lucy was going to MGM around 1942 and both Ann and Lana were not pregnant around this time, what would've been her 1st MGM movie???

I remember hearing that she was initially supposed to star in MGM's Kismet (1944) and Yolanda and the Thief (1945), but was replaced by Marlene Dietrich and Frank Morgan, respectively.

DaveK

Second Unit

This movie somewhat reminded me of the Annabel movies, with the agent getting her into trouble.

Speaking of Annabel, caps were made for Lucy to enhance her looks beginning with this movie, and when she uttered one line "I'm Annabel Allison you fool", her caps came flying out. Does anyone know what point in the movie this happens?

DaveK

Second Unit

That sucks....LOL
There were a few exceptions that I've noticed though...thank goodness
off the top of my head I think Easy Living, Five Came Back, Panama Lady, Look Who's Laughing, Seven Days Leave, The Marines Fly High and Twelve Crowded Hours were the Lucy movies that are shown with it's original titles.

This makes me wonder....will this be the next crop of movies to be released on a Volume 2???

Lucy's RKO flicks need MAJOR restoration, the only one that is in excellent condition from start to finish is Go Chase Yourself.

DaveK

Second Unit
Does anyone know if the registration issues for DuBarry Was A Lady will be taken care of with this DVD release???

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Ok the Mame dvd extras are kinda skimpy. My question is were there ever any deleted scenes? A lot people say there were some and you can see some of the scenes on the trailer. If there were any wouldn't Warner put them on the dvd unless something happened to them?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They said in the chat they tried to remix Mame for stereo but couldn't find all the elements necessary. Possibly the Lucy vocals, as the soundtrack (in stereo) uses different ones than the film if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks