What's new

Lucasfilm reportedly nixes remaining 3D Star Wars prequels to focus on new trilogy (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From Deadline Hollywood
Frankly, kind of happy about this.
Everyone I know that has seen The Phantom
Menace in 3D thought it was pretty lame (not just
the film but the upconversion itself).
Would have been better to start with the original
three films. I saw a demo of Episode IV upconverted
a few years back and it looked pretty damn good.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Damn! I'm finally going for a 3D projector, Star Wars is at the top of my list for films I'd like to own in 3d Blu-Ray. Well, at least I'll have Jurassic Park.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine much of the original trilogy looking that good in 3-D. The opening shot with the blockade runner and the Star Destroyer and the Death Star battles will be neat but the 'small' scope of the OT just doesn't lend itself to 3-D. Say what you will about the prequels but massive CG environments like Coruscant and Kamino should have enough depth that they can translate to 3-D much better than a small set like the Death Star or Cloud City. Based on the reaction that I saw, many people (myself included) were underwhelmed by the 3-D conversion for The Phantom Menace and I expect to be much less impressed by the OT (when/if it happens) simply due to the nature of what was shot. Much like The Phantom Menace or Titanic or Finding Nemo, etc., I'd be perfectly happy to see the movies in a theater again in 2-D. EDIT: LFL is confirming it:
Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I thought the lenticular 3D card SW set Topps released in the 90's looked pretty good. I would have donned a trenchcoat and dark sunglasses to go see the original films on the big screen one last time, even though I don't care for the SE's much. It's been speculated the last batch of changes to the original trilogy, (like the rocks in front of Artoo when hiding from the sandpeople) were to enhance them for 3D. Money down the hole now? The usual suspects will use this to flog the "3D is dead" horse some more. ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
SilverWook said:
It's been speculated the last batch of changes to the original trilogy, (like the rocks in front of Artoo when hiding from the sandpeople) were to enhance them for 3D. Money down the hole now?
The "NOOOOOOO" added to Return Of The Jedi makes more sense to me than the rocks. :) Not that I prefer the "NOOO" but I understand Lucas' apparent desire to have that line in all of the movies (is it in Attack Of The Clones?) whereas the addition of the rocks is just weird and pointless. EDIT: I answered my own question about "Nooo" being in Attack Of The Clones. When Yoda is hearing Qui-Gon from the beyond, Qui-Gon (who sounds nothing like Liam Neeson) says it.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Not to mention the silly extra CGI appendages popping out of Artoo when he gets shot in Jedi...

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
http://starwars.com/news/focusing-on-star-wars-episode-vii-lucasfilm-postpones-episodes-ii-and-iii-3d.html One has to wonder how much Disney has to do with this decision. I can't imagine Fox being too happy right now.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does this mean we won't get the OT in 3D? The links only mention that we won't get the other two prequels done 3D - there's nothing about the OT, but it sounds like people assume we won't get them 3D either...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Does this mean we won't get the OT in 3D?  The links only mention that we won't get the other two prequels done 3D - there's nothing about the OT, but it sounds like people assume we won't get them 3D either...
LFL said yesterday "Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans." Plus, the official word is that the 3-D versions are postponed to some indefinite date in the future rather than being flat-out cancelled.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson
Does this mean we won't get the OT in 3D?
That's OK. Lucas himself would be the first to tell you that for him to say the OT would be re-re-re-released in 3D and then only later find a reason NOT to do so was always his intent from the beginning.
It's all going according to plan.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm really not at all shocked about this. Aside from the underwhelming box office for Phantom Menace, the 3-D was...meh-worthy. If you're going to do Star Wars (again) on the big screen, you need a GREAT reason for people to go. Mediocre 3-D isn't that good of a reason, especially since word of mouth on Episode I's conversation couldn't have been good. No skin off my nose on this one, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks