What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Part II Matthew Wood (1 Viewer)

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember it's good entertainment. Seeing people get all bent out of shape over something, that in the end, isn't really all that important.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Tim Mauldin

Just remember it's good entertainment. Seeing people get all bent out of shape over something, that in the end, isn't really all that important.

We're on this forum because we are film fans, or i assume we are all film fans, thus its important.

This is it for Star Wars on blu ray, don't expect recalls to be made, no more fixes coming anytime soon, if you are a film enthusiast and have spent money on your hobby and they put out what you consider a poor effort with lots of issues, well you have a choice, buy it or don't but at the end of the day this is it for Star Wars on blu ray for many, many years to come, any future releases until about 2017 will just regurgitate the masters made for this release.

Personally if the leaked info is correct, if edge enhancement is visible on The Empire Strikes Back and some of the other films then i know they are re-using masters intended for DVD, damn right i will get bent out of shape about that, its my number one hate with blu ray, its why i avoid DVD these days as it tends to have EE all over the place.

I could sit back, relax, take the view that its not important, that people are dying in wars across the world is more important, i could take that view but i could also take the view that everything is relevant in this world, this is relevant, it all binds together, accept trash and they keep releasing it, don't accept it and raise your voice and someone, somewhere, listens.

I still hold out hope these leaks are incorrect, i hope that the pic showing edge enhancement is fake, this causes mild ( sometimes severe ) halos around people and objects and is especially noticeable when someone is wearing dark against light backgrounds.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I have gone rounds with people here before, so I say this with respect. I'm not going down that road again. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I hope the reports are false and most of the issues have been fixed. The changes are what they are, I have to either accept them or not accept them and "vote with my wallet" as someone said earlier. However, I don't think its worth getting my blood-pressure up over. I was thinking hard about skipping this release, I was telling my wife that there were rumors of "changes and fixes, that were not really fixed". I thought she would be happy, because I wouldn't be spending money. She says, to my surprise "they are just movies". At that point I made my decision, I'm going to enjoy them now. As far as waiting until 2017 or for a future release who knows, I'm not guaranteed another day on this planet. Not trying to be a pessimist, just being realistic. I'm not that concerned about picture quality either, I have a 120in screen, and the DVDs look great (for DVDs) upconverted on an HD-DVD player. Most SD content looks terrible on my projector these don't. The only one that looked terrible was The Phantom Menace, so I'm hoping they fixed that one. You have a great eye for the halos, the edge enhancement and everything you mentioned, I guess I don't.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll vote with my wallet by Netflixing these instead of buying, just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm simply done with Lucas and his OCD altering of these films. It's become almost pathological.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by dpippel

I'll vote with my wallet by Netflixing these instead of buying, just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm simply done with Lucas and his OCD altering of these films. It's become almost pathological.

I forgot about the rental option, i might just do that instead of buying.

Originally Posted by Tim Mauldin [url=/t/314106/lucasfilm-on-star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-part-ii-matthew-wood/120#post_3846693]

I have gone rounds with people here before, so I say this with respect. I'm not going down that road again.

Its ok, i see your point of view, i was just saying i do think on a forum devoted to the love of film that we should get worked up sometimes about these things, passion for your hobby is good, i hope i didn't come across in a bad way when i posted a reply to you.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
No, you didn't come across in a bad way at all. Passion is good, when it comes to Star Wars there is plenty of that and then some. I'm so busy these days, it might take three weeks watch the entire saga and the extras.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I have a question for you Tim.. Are you with those that think they are his films or do they belong more to the fans now ? because if this sentiment that those are his films was felt by the whole industry,then all directors would do it. Scorsese would keep changing Goodfellas and Raging bull.Lets lose the narration in the first and lets have Joe Pesci shoot a reconciliation scene with DeNiro Coppola would keep altering Apocalypse now.Lets lose the Wagner soundtrack,and replace it with the Strauss Banditen Galop.Close your eyes,picture crazy insane Duvall and start the music. Ridley Scott would add stuff every five years to Blade runner.No more Vangelis and add 1000 spinners flying about. In all the years i've been reading film interviews,ive come across many many directors who accept the part about letting go.Letting go of their baby and giving it to the world,if they would not do this,the 7th art would not be a collective thing,would not be an interactive art.What you would feel for any givien film would always be a temporary thing,hence would not affect us as much. As i said the 1977 film inspired me to write screenplays and stories,my life started that year and thats why i want it to remain pristine.I have warts,Star wars 1977 has warts.Let it go George.Let it go. Hey he can change Howard the duck and Radioland murders all he wants,sure nobody would care.:P

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I believe someone posted about this in this thread or another SW thread,but it still needs reposting. George Lucas in 1988 speaking to Congress about stopping changes made to films. http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html i like this part of his speech :American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. Guess ol' George didnt count on something called the internet later on that could keep a lot of the past intact.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tim Mauldin said:
I have gone rounds with people here before, so I say this with respect. I'm not going down that road again. I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I hope the reports are false and most of the issues have been fixed. The changes are what they are, I have to either accept them or not accept them and "vote with my wallet" as someone said earlier. However, I don't think its worth getting my blood-pressure up over. I was thinking hard about skipping this release, I was telling my wife that there were rumors of "changes and fixes, that were not really fixed". I thought she would be happy, because I wouldn't be spending money. She says, to my surprise "they are just movies". At that point I made my decision, I'm going to enjoy them now.
I feel quite matter of fact about the films and Lucas' neuroses. A few nights ago, my wife and I watched the De-specialized Star Wars fan edit. Last night, we watched the De-specialized The Empire Strikes Back. We enjoyed both immensely. This weekend, we'll watch the De-specialized Return of the Jedi. I am not "boycotting" Lucas, or "voting with my wallet". I would consider it a "boycott" if I was refusing to buy something I really wanted, but wanted to make a statement about something I didn't agree with (like not buying Wisconsin cheese even though I like cheese because the cheese companies are unfair to cheesemakers, for example). I'm just not buying what Lucas is selling. And I am still enjoying Star Wars.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
No in fact I don't think any film belongs to me (a fan). I think the whole idea is ridiculous. I don't as a fan, write the scripts, direct or produce the films. I, as a fan, don't have any rights to them at all. I would like to see good quality BDs of The Abyss and True Lies, but I don't have any control over those titles either.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy

Scorsese would keep changing Goodfellas and Raging bull.Lets lose the narration in the first and lets
have Joe Pesci shoot a reconciliation scene with DeNiro

Coppola would keep altering Apocalypse now.Lets lose the Wagner soundtrack,and replace it with the Strauss
Banditen Galop.Close your eyes,picture crazy insane Duvall and start the music.

I've said it before: When I got the Godfather blu-rays, I was just glad Sollozzo didn't shoot first.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Tim,no one anywhere on the net is talking about the quality of said release.If you've been looking at the net in the last few days,you'll see it is aflame with revolt,frustration and anger. go ahead,google " changes star wars bluray " Do you consider all those people to be ridiculous as well ? Is there not one work of art that has moved you or touched you,be it a book,a film or a painting ? What if the creator of that work keeps changing his work on and on and on....would you just simply...not mind ? Its a very simple question really. But hey if you think you don't want to engage this topic or debate anymore i'll respect that.You don't have to answer this. The next question is directed at everyone buying this,or renting since its still voting with your wallet.Youre still forking over money ,just a lot less.The point is,youre still giving money to George.Thats a vote right ? If the original trilogy made an impact on you...why are you buying this ? (because obviously,its not that trilogy anymore.Now i guess we're down to about 68 % of it.) and if it did NOT make an impact on you..........why are you buying this ? A lot of you,i understand are probably going to get it for the audio quality,which yes,should be (no pun intended ) out of this world. So do you completely shut your mind off,or do you think at some point....." yeah Han shooting first..yeah dumb little whizzy robot..yeah no that wasnt in...Oh here comes that new added Vader scream....(giggles )...But CHECK out that great sound dude!! Poor Matthew Wood.sorry about all this,just tell your boss that nobody really cares about talking to you anymore.(about Star wars audio -related topics anyways.) Besides,with all the new Vader screams and Kryat dragon changes,is a discussion with this guy even needed,obviously we dont have any say with these,folks.They were just added. I'm sure he is gonna make millions with this,but only because its a BLURAY,and so far you cant get better.So far. I'm afraid and saddened that a lot of people are gonna go.."i hateit ihateit ihateit ihateit...heres my money. Think i'll rent those dvd's from a few years ago with his commentaries,just to see if he contradicts himself. With all the freakin releases..VHS..DVD...Laserdisc...I have no idea which one is the best for true original May 25th,1977,32-theater release. And the switch from Sebastian Shaw's wonderful warm smile to creepy stalker-like Hayden at the end of ROTJ does not help either.It went from redemption to what's the address of that chick Megan Fox. tell me im wrong.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It's a darn good thing for George that Lucasfilm stock isn't publicly traded! Imagine if a bunch of angry fans became majority shareholders. ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And the switch from Sebastian Shaw's wonderful warm smile to creepy stalker-like Hayden at the end of ROTJ does not help either.It went from redemption to what's the address of that chick Megan Fox.
Not to mention the fact that in yet another sign of George just phoning it in, that's not even Hayden actually performing in context. He's on record as saying that he had no idea he would be in ROTJ until the DVDs actually came out. That's just some random footage, where for all we know he WAS asking about Megan Fox :P If the OOT were available, I would definitely buy the Special Editions along with it. They would be fun to watch as a "what if" sort of thing. George's constant tinkering could actually be interesting to watch, as long as the originals were always there to go back to. SOME of the work done in the SEs, I have actually enjoyed, such as the new ending music for ROTJ. But just like I don't want a live album as the only way to listen to my favorite band, I don't want the SEs to be the main way I enjoy Star Wars.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Tim Mauldin said:
I would like to see good quality BDs of The Abyss and True Lies, but I don't have any control over those titles either.
i have true lies on d-theater... nice quality and much better then the dvds :D atleast mr cameron will make sure we get both versions of the movie (the abyss). who knows, maybe he makes an extended cut for true lies too. even then we get the theatrical cut of it. omitting the theatrical cuts on blu-ray isn't only lucas doing. the patriot (roland emmerich), donnie brasco, robin hood: prince of thieves and many others aren't available on their theatrical version on blu-ray. i don't mind extended versions. some are clearly better (aliens, the abyss) and others i prefer the theatrical version (alien, robin hood: prince of thieves, star wars). it's also the fault of the studios who deny us the original theatrical versions. in the case of star wars, i doubt fox would deny them too us because they know we are willing to put the extra cash on the table for them. this is a very annyoing habbit the studios doing these days.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I found this little video on the Facebook boycott page,and it seems to be of great importance as to whether or not prints from 1977 are still being presented. fabulous clip about The Senator theater in Baltimore closing after 71 years of operations and the last film to be shown is a Star wars print from 1977. So rarely do we get actual audience reaction going wild so this one is something akin to a time machine. this was posted on Youtube in July 2010 A lot of you can probably analyse the info on this ten times better than i ever could.The sound is a bit low so its hard sometimes to hear what the manager has to say just before the showing.He seems to be saying that Lucasfilm was against showing this particular print as it should not exist i guess,so maybe he's the Jedi and forcibly took it by overpowering the Lucasfilm feeble minds.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks