What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Part II Matthew Wood (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Steve Bragg

Some of you posting here must not have known that Ian McDiarmid was in the 2004 ESB release replacing the original Emperor in the ESB scene. He already did that over 7 years ago!

Maybe they shot some footage and will be putting Palpatine into the first film, thats the only one in which the Emperor does not currently appear.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
So i keep reading this and that and everyone's comments and the changes although this one still isn't the original version,and true,there are many things that really bug me about it. I can honestly say that GL did not in fact rape my childhood because my childhood contains about a 1000 other films in it. Now Star wars had the most impact because that is indeed the film that started me sitting at a table and writing science-fiction based stories when i was 12.My parents were really concerned about me writing Earth exploding as mentioned in Escape from the planet of the apes and asked me to stop because they thought it wasn't "good" for my brain to do so.I guess i had the world's first intervention before there was such a show about it. That intervention failed miserably and i never stopped writing and dreaming of other worlds and watching another 5000 films about monsters and aliens. Thanks to Star wars.In 1977. When people show disdain or roll their eyes about this one,i always mention this is the one that started it all for me. Hell,when pay-tv first arrived here in Canada,they'd show Star wars almost between every other film and you could still get great clear sound and a stable picture,just reversed,like a negative.My dad just could not understand why i would watch 20 minutes of that.:D But all this makes me think that George now has a larger connection to this wonderful little clip,so i sort of see him in the chair and not Vader.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
And what is all this breasts issue and George Lucas ? first taping Carrie Fisher's breasts so there's no "jiggle in outer space " and now removing Natalie Portman's nipples digitally. Does he hold weekly calls with the Vatican to make sure he stays within the realm of " good taste " ? Don't worry George,the kids are gonna find out about those sooner or later.:rolleyes:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
montrealfilmguy said:
First taping Carrie Fisher's breasts so there's no "jiggle in outer space "...
Even odder, according to Carrie Fisher, he refused to let her wear a bra because "there's no underwear in outer space".

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
He obviously wasn't paying attention when a boob slipped out for a split second just before the slave girl falls into the Rancor pit ;) Wonder if he'll CGI that out this time... :P

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
johnSM said:
I know - somewhat depressing isn't it when you consider that far lesser films get treated much better... I am also tired of hearing the argument, "but they're HIS films, he can do what he likes with them".
Uggh! I hate that too! It is so asinine. That's the argument of sycophants who are incapable of formulating a good justification as to why he's the only "major" director who refuses to release multiple versions of his films, including the original version.
User897 said:
What amazes me is the fact that Star Wars is the ONLY case in popular films where the originals are not available (thank you very little, George), but these Blu-rays are still going to shatter records when released. The whole "vote with you wallet" thing just doesn't apply here. I for one am going to keep watching the AVCHD's I got from originaltrilogy.com members (before I was banned, they're a touchy bunch over there). My only interest in this set is the OT bonus materials, which I will get to borrow from a friend in September.
What was your name over there? Usually the only people who are banned there are major trolls and those who try to sell bootlegs. You don't sound like you fall into either category. The rest usually leave voluntarily....in tears. :laugh: I know that "voting with your wallet" won't have much effect, but it's still what I'm going to do. Like you, I'll borrow or rent the discs to see the deleted OT scenes.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
funny how the mind works sometimes as mine went straight to the names looking for a mispelling but no,its the biggest word on the screen. Some fella has this job ? He probably can't spell spell check either. Or the word proofread.

User897

Agent
Real Name
Arthur
MielR said:
What was your name over there? Usually the only people who are banned there are major trolls and those who try to sell bootlegs. You don't sound like you fall into either category. The rest usually leave voluntarily....in tears. :laugh: I know that "voting with your wallet" won't have much effect, but it's still what I'm going to do. Like you, I'll borrow or rent the discs to see the deleted OT scenes.
I sent you a PM with all the details, MielR. A Converstion, eh? That is funny as hell. "We fixed every little thing that pissed people off for 30+ years, but can't spell for s**t."

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Worth said:
Even odder, according to Carrie Fisher, he refused to let her wear a bra because "there's no underwear in outer space".
On a side note, the DVD of Carrie's one woman Broadway show "Wishful Drinking" comes out the same week as the Saga does. (Coincidence?) She discusses Leia at length, and even dons the famous bun hairdo again!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, with respect to the bonus material, are all the extras from the prequel DVDs on this? Remember that each of those films had a whole disc of extras.

Also, what about the trailers for all 6 films? If they're listed in the blu-ray materials, I missed them. Would be nice to see them in 1080. (I know, I know - wishful thinking -- I'll settle for them being on the set!)

Shelldweller

Auditioning
Real Name
Shelldweller
OK, I think we all saw the CGI Yoda by now... just perfect!!! I really can wait to finally watch the Saga in 1080p. The question about the US-box being regionfree remains. Does anyone know or can find out whether the set will be regionfree?

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
According to Matthew Wood, the flipped surrounds weren't an error (rrrrighttttt! Would it have been difficult to just flip them after using their process to create the surrounds, even if it was a side effect of the process he mentions below? I fail to see how Lucasfilm could not simply reverse the channels again so it sounded as it should...): "When asked directly about the flipped rear channels for the orchestra that plagued the A New Hope DVD, Matthew chuckled and said they are now fixed, but technically weren't broken to begin with. It occurred due to using a technique to create surround information since the music master did not have it. For the Blu-ray, the orchestra will now play in the correct sound channels." http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Star-Wars-Blu-ray-Up-Close-at-LucasFilm-Part-2-of-3/9427 This just sounds like more Lucasfilm PR BS to me - covering one's ass again. Well rehearsed excuses instead of coming clean and admitting mistakes were made. Why weren't the foreign language versions on the same DVD affelicted with the reversed surround problem then? :rolleyes:

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Maybe he should've met with George to have a longer conversti..conversasi....conversayti.......a longer talk.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I can not wait for September 16th. Then we will only have one more month of discussion on the set and then it will be so quite. That is until Lucas announces the blu-ray of the original theatrical editions in a huge box set. I am just about Star Wars Saga tired out. I thought I was better prepared for the nine months leading up to this, but I guess I'm not.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by johnSM /t/314106/lucasfilm-on-star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-part-ii-matthew-wood/30#post_3843655

That was covered in post one of page one of this thread a few days ago:

Q: On the DVD, the orchestra for the surround channels was swapped, was that fixed?

A: It’s funny, because it never really was an error --- what happened back then was that the music master we had at the time didn’t have any surround information. One of the techniques that has been used previously from mixers is to give it a bigger soundstage---they would have flipped the back channel to give it a different kind of reverb. And that was done on the THX 1138 remaster, which I didn’t work on. For this go-round (6.1) we decided not to do that, so the surround information is direct to the back, no longer flipped on the music track.

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
It was, and it's an answer I don't buy from him. The surrounds for the foreign language versions on the same DVD weren't reversed... And even it was a product of the surround process, the rear channels could easily have been switched to make them correct before the product was released!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks