What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Hands on Report (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
RobertR said:
Doesn't change a thing I said. All businesses finance their operations from the revenue they bring in. Of course, when other corporations engage in doing something "for profit or as an exercise of power" (Lucas' own words) that's "evil barbarism" according to him, but when HE engages in the identical activities, they're somehow magically "noble".
To be fair, though, Lucas's stance is probably that changes made by a corporation to a director's film without his/her permission is barbaric while changes made by the owner of any particular film (e.g. STAR WARS) is within their right. In other words, corporations have no right to massacre films because they are not the rightful owners; however, a real owner has the inherent right to massacre his own property. Of course, that view would ignore the fact that most old films were work-for-hire jobs; therefore, the corporations that have possession ARE the owners and can do what they want with them such as colorize old B&W films or reformat their property to fit screen sizes.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
MielR said:
I agree- GL will obviously NEVER be happy with the OT, so he should just start from scratch and totally remake them. Just let us have the '77-'83 originals on blu-ray, and remake, remake, remake to your heart's content, George. http://www.facebook.com/savestarwarsboycotttheblurays
Didn't Romano do that with one of his movies? I agree, why not just remake all three films. That is the only way all 6 films would ever truly blend seamlessly.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Dave H said:
Didn't Romano do that with one of his movies? I agree, why not just remake all three films. That is the only way all 6 films would ever truly blend seamlessly.
I has happened before- some silent film directors ended up essentially remaking their films in sound. Tod Browning remade the silent "London After Midnight", as the sound "Mark Of The Vampire" and I know it's happened in other cases. So, that's what George would be doing: new technology, new films. George "remade" his own student film "THX-1138", and wasn't "Evil Dead II" essentially a bigger-budget remake of "Evil Dead"? (I've never seen the original).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
MielR said:
I has happened before- some silent film directors ended up essentially remaking their films in sound. Tod Browning remade the silent "London After Midnight", as the sound "Mark Of The Vampire" and I know it's happened in other cases. So, that's what George would be doing: new technology, new films. George "remade" his own student film "THX-1138", and wasn't "Evil Dead II" essentially a bigger-budget remake of "Evil Dead"? (I've never seen the original).
How about.... The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) and The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) Thank you Mr. Hitchcock. Doug

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The difference, of course, being that both Hitchcock versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much are available for purchase on home video.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
dpippel said:
The difference, of course, being that both Hitchcock versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much are available for purchase on home video.
Hitchcock actually stated in his interview with François Truffaut that he thought the 56 version was a better film, but that he preferred the 34 version precisely because it was rough. Doug

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
montrealfilmguy said:
This is even funnier than Lucas at Congress.
That was a good one. Jimmy Stewart played George Lucas, and he filibustered against altering films until his voice was hoarse.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
So basically which site should get the very first review posted online ? Or could be anybody i guess ? Bluray.com HTF ? Thedigitalbits ? Aintitcool ? Dvdbeaver should do a definitive review with all the formats ever put out on the market. Vhs,Laserdisc,Beta,Dvd,Blu.. Was there a D-theater and a Superbit release ? And we had those 8mm 4 minutes you could buy from Starlog back in the 70"s.. You know i was thinking that this whole thing with him telling us every time :"this is the real version,this is the only one,the ultimate version..etc..etc.. Why should we believe him now if he"s done it so many times before. Every time he alters it,all we hear from him is he's done. That does look good for a 2035 release of the OT.At which point ill be all Edward G.Robinson on my death bed looking at the twin suns of Tatooine like they were trees on a summer day. Maybe someone should send him a copy of Aesop's The little boy who cried wolf. And another thing,sometimes its hard to classify something if the director himself doesn't know it either. One time,its only a movie people,the other time it's Joseph Campbell's The hero with a thousand faces.

DarthYotsuya

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robin Khan
Kevin EK said:
How about a little movie called The Ten Commandments?
The silent version has a modern story mixed with Moses. The Heston version is just about Moses, not quite a remake. Ben-Hur, on the other hand, complete remake sans breasts.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by montrealfilmguy
So basically which site should get the very first review posted online ?
Or could be anybody i guess ?
Bluray.com
HTF ?
Thedigitalbits ?
Aintitcool ?
All review copies are being sent out at the same time. While everyone (HTF included) is going to try get them up as soon as possible it will really take a solid two days for reviewers to fully digest the set.
I'm looking to set up a viewing party for HTF members in the Seattle area this week. It can either be at my place, or I am working on getting access to a very nice Theo Kalomirakis designed theater with stadium seating that seats 15. If you are interested please visit this thread. It should be fun. I'll spring for pizza. If anyone else wants to host one in their area feel free to post here or in the meets area.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Alessandro said:
FWIW, they offer no specifics whatsoever for HT or SW geeks like myself as to why they think the PQ is so great. For me, this is still a no-sale. Until I see someone say things like "there are no more pink/dull lightsabers" or "the colors match within each film," I have no reason to believe that any significant effort was put into this release.

Alessandro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
Jesse Blacklow said:
FWIW, they offer no specifics whatsoever for HT or SW geeks like myself as to why they think the PQ is so great. For me, this is still a no-sale. Until I see someone say things like "there are no more pink/dull lightsabers" or "the colors match within each film," I have no reason to believe that any significant effort was put into this release.
Pink lightsabers will always be there cause if Lucas wanted them red they would be red. if This set is not your thing than that is your decision but you can still be a Star Wars geek and still like the blu-ray's and far as reviews go you will see sites that ARE REPUTABLE review these and give it good reviews or bad reviews it all depends on who you believe when it all comes down to it people will still get these movies regardless of what the next person thinks. SIDENOTE** I for one agree with your comments but i will still get these movies cause after all it's STAR WARS.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks