What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Hands on Report (1 Viewer)

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Edwin nailed it for me. George Lucas is intent on making the movies that millions of people bought tickets to see, and ones which gave him a very comfortable life, disappear without explanation, while offering up in their place what many find to be inferior (or anyway, DIFFERENT) substitutes. That's the source of the needless antagonism. This is not 'ars gratia artis', he is a successful brand regarding a large part of his customers with antipathy. He is New Coke sticking to the new formula and trying to make it like it was never anything else.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Hal Masonberg
But I do feel the need to stand up for the rights of these films, for the rights of all the people who fell in love with these films, all the effects people, the actors, all the folks who were and remain proud of the work they accomplished. Back then. And for what Lucas was able to achieve back in 1977. Regardless of whether or not it was perfect in his eyes.
Well said Hal. Good points.
Good luck on your project. Great trailer, BTW.
People tend to forget that film making is a collaborative effort, not just a directorial one. George Lucas may own the legal right to the saga, but the films are far from his sole creation and the other artists should have a voice as well.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Doug,thats what i've been saying all along about the marketing coup. Good heavens,Uncle George has got me posting on 2 different SW threads now. 2011 :I refuse to give you that nice Mars bar. 2017 (??).Fine.heres the succulent mouthwatering Sacher-torte you've always wanted. http://www.sacher.com/en-original-sacher-tart.htm Yes i like food analogies,so sue me. The very first change i ever noticed was when Lucas added a second droid by the name of R2D2. I found out afterwards that when my dad brought me to see it the very first time,i was sitting behind a beam that was holding the ceiling and was hiding a part of the screen. :P

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Hal Masonberg said:
I am also a filmmaker, Doug. In fact, I had my first feature taken away in post-production by the studio and re-cut from scratch into something that in no way resembles the film I made. I even went so far as to go public with what happened and start a campaign (still ongoing) to get the proper cut released simply because the version out there was almost the polar opposite of what we envisioned and intended. Editing can make that much of a difference! I can say, without any hyperbole, that having that film taken away, re-cut and put out there with my name on it was one of the single most painful experiences of my adult life. But here's the catch... Though I have completed my cut of the film (which is still highly compromised due to a production company that insisted on casting the wrong actor in the lead --or they threatened to pull the money and keep my script-- in addition to cutting the shooting schedule down from 30 to 20 days upon arrival in Canada (where we shot), I would STILL allow the Producers' cut of the film to exist (even after I get the rights back) simply because it's been out there in the world. It would exist alongside my cut which is completely different in almost every way. And my film was a little $3.5 million affair. Not a mega-blockbuster film that defined a generation like Star Wars. But I care that much about film history to not erase it simply because I don't like what's out there. Now that doesn't mean Lucas has to care as much as I (or any other filmmaker), but one can care about their film, their work, their artistic intent, and still respect history. And the people who may prefer the producers' cut of the film to mine (though I would claim them to be tasteless as the producers' cut is, simply put, dreadful), would at least have the option of seeing the film as they first saw it. Not to mention having the ability to compare and decide for themselves. But that's just me. Film history is crucial to me. And I feel a responsibility to it. I don't want to erase what happened. I don't want to relive it, but I don't want to erase it. I learned so much about myself (what's truly important to me, who I am, what I want) from the horrible experience of having people who had never even met me, take my film away and turn it into something no one involved had ever intended it to be (it was sold to Sony Screen Gems behind our backs). As for Star Wars, like you, I saw the film upwards of 30 times in the theater when it was initially released. I've watched it a number of times on video and laserdisc since. And like you, the films no longer call to me. I don't feel the need to revisit them often anymore. But I do feel the need to stand up for the rights of these films, for the rights of all the people who fell in love with these films, all the effects people, the actors, all the folks who were and remain proud of the work they accomplished. Back then. And for what Lucas was able to achieve back in 1977. Regardless of whether or not it was perfect in his eyes. My film, even in its Writers & Director's Cut is not exactly the film I set out to make. But it is the film I was able to make under the circumstances I found myself in at the time. And I am still proud of what i was able to accomplish. And I learned never EVER give up creative control. To anyone. That's what I need to do in order to assure this doesn't happen to me again. But I wouldn't dream of altering history. My next film will reflect me. My cut of my first film will eventually be out there for comparison and to soothe my soul. I hope Lucas one day finds it in his soul to understand that Star Wars is important to more people than just himself. And to find a way to be proud of what he accomplished back in 1977. Perfect or not, he altered history and inspired a generation. And we chose his films to be an important historical reflection of ourselves. That has to be worth saving. For anyone interested in knowing more: http://www.spreadingtheplague.com/
I'm in the process of finishing my first feature, and in spite of being independently produced and financed by me (or maybe because of it) the finished film is not turning out the way I envisioned it when I wrote the script. I would say I got about 60% of what I had planned on. But for me the film is what it is. I've done the best I could with the resources I had. As I said before, I'm basically lazy, so when I finish a film the first time, that it, its done. So I won't be revisiting my film 20 years from now. I'd post a link to a trailer I've created, but I'm not sure we are allowed to do that here. Doug

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I am also a filmmaker, Doug. In fact, I had my first feature taken away in post-production by the studio and re-cut from scratch into something that in no way resembles the film I made. I even went so far as to go public with what happened and start a campaign (still ongoing) to get the proper cut released simply because the version out there was almost the polar opposite of what we envisioned and intended. For anyone interested in knowing more: http://www.spreadingtheplague.com/
I thought to myself, i have seen The Plague, but no, on checking IMDB the film i saw was Clive Barkers The Plague, i did look your one up, James Van Der Beek is in it and horror fav, Dee Wallace.
I see Clive Barker produced your one, hang on it is the same film i have seen on The Horror Channel over here, i quite liked parts of it but it seemed kinda disjointed in other parts.
Strange ending although a little creepy which seems to suggest a sequel might have been on the cards, it reminded me a little of Village Of The Damned. ( original or remake )
Did Clive Barker take it from you and recut it or was his name just there to try and sell it to horror fans. ?

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
FoxyMulder said:

I thought to myself, i have seen The Plague, but no, on checking IMDB the film i saw was Clive Barkers The Plague, i did look your one up, James Van Der Beek is in it and horror fav, Dee Wallace.

I see Clive Barker produced your one, hang on it is the same film i have seen on The Horror Channel over here, i quite liked parts of it but it seemed kinda disjointed in other parts.

Strange ending although a little creepy which seems to suggest a sequel might have been on the cards, it reminded me a little of Village Of The Damned. ( original or remake )

Did Clive Barker take it from you and recut it or was his name just there to try and sell it to horror fans. ?

It's the same film you saw with Clive's name inappropriately added over the title. However, I don't want to turn this thread into THE PLAGUE thread so I'll suffice it to say that Clive and his producers played a pivotal role in the destruction of this film. It was Clive's producers that recut the film from scratch into something unrecognizable and without the creative team present. What you saw had nothing to do with the film we made. Not a single solitary edit is from our cut. Out of respect for this thread, however, I'll refrain from discussing any more details here. Though I appreciate your interest and comments. My point was to highlight different versions of films and filmmakers' response, sense of responsibility to film history, etc. Happy to discuss all things PLAGUE via the email address on my web site. Would like to keep the rest of the focus here on George Lucas and why his rewriting of film history is so damaging and, for many of us, inappropriate and alienating.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's the same film you saw with Clive's name inappropriately added over the title. However, I don't want to turn this thread into THE PLAGUE thread so I'll suffice it to say that Clive and his producers played a pivotal role in the destruction of this film. It was Clive's producers that recut the film from scratch into something unrecognizable and without the creative team present. What you saw had nothing to do with the film we made. Not a single solitary edit is from our cut. Out of respect for this thread, however, I'll refrain from discussing any more details here. Though I appreciate your interest and comments. My point was to highlight different versions of films and filmmakers' response, sense of responsibility to film history, etc. Happy to discuss all things PLAGUE via the email address on my web site. Would like to keep the rest of the focus here on George Lucas and why his rewriting of film history is so damaging and, for many of us, inappropriate and alienating.
Thats really strange, you would think that after having his own film, Nightbreed, recut by the studio he would be in your camp, Nightbreed was taken from Barker back in 1990 and re-edited by the studio and is apparently the weaker for it, i have seen that film too and it obviously suffers from tampering.
If you have your cut available on a DVD and can send it to me i'll gladly watch it and review it for my own site and mention the issues. (i know you aren't allowed but i'd do it)
I'll of course turn this back over to Star Wars now.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Stephen Brooks said:
What's this now? Darth Plaugis had been added, and he's being played by James Van Der Beek? :laugh:
Dude, that was masterful. An entire page of backstory, leading up to a single joke. Hey, kinda like the prequels.... :laugh:

Hal Masonberg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Masonberg
Not sure if this is true, but it sure gets under my skin. And if it turns out not to be true, I still think it reflects what many of us feel about Lucas' attitude not only toward the original films, but his selfish arrogance in the face of those of us who actually care. He should be honored and feel blessed to have fans this committed, this in love with the story he told, the films he put out there. The dark side, indeed... http://www.laineygossip.com/George_Lucas_was_ungracious_to_Star_Wars_nerds_as_the_series_goes_BluRay_06sept11.aspx?CatID=0&CelID=0

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
^^ It has a ring of truth to it. I actually posted that link in another thread, (speaking of which, weren't these SW threads going to be merged?) Infuriating, if true, to say the least. http://www.facebook.com/savestarwarsboycotttheblurays

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
As I said in the main SW thread, I have a hard time believing the author of that piece. With a fanbase as obsessive as Star Wars', a story of fans not only meeting with George, but actually confronting him about the OOT, and his (allegedly dismissive) response would have been reported by every nerd within 12 parsecs the second it happened. But we only get to hear about it now, practically on the eve of the release of the BluRays? Sounds fishy.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I have problems with this story coming from a gossip site too. Taking it with a big grain of salt for now....

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
plus the fact that George would retort with the kind of answer only a 5 year-old would make sends it straight into the vanishing hitchhiker territory. C'mon there's blunt and then there's blunt.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
New poll, on hi-def digest: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/star-wars-poll2/ Are You Still Planning to Buy 'Star Wars' on Blu-ray? I'm fed up. I won't buy any of them until Lucasfilm restores the original, unaltered versions of the first trilogy. (58%, 350 Votes) Yes, I'm still in for the full six-film set no matter what. (23%, 138 Votes) I'll buy them, but I won't be happy about it. (14%, 83 Votes) Only the original trilogy box set (Episodes IV - VI) for me. (3%, 20 Votes) I'm waiting for the 3D conversions. (1%, 7 Votes) Only the prequel trilogy box set (Episodes I - III) for me. (1%, 4 Votes)

Empirefan70

Agent
Real Name
Empire
Thank you youtube for ruining the STAR WARS bluray you have saved me the hassle of wasting £70.00 pounds on this STAR WARS abomination on Monday 12th September 2011. I hope the video or true STAR WARS fan youtube videos ruins the bluray marketing for STAR WARS because come Monday I’ll be running the originals on laserdisc because that is were the original flashback experience is, not in these bluray HD waste of 1080p dts 6.1 SIGH! The article below says it all, and George Lucas is a hypocrite today, trying to pull another fast one on the consumer.:eek: http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/31/in-1988-george-lucas-fought-against-altering-films.html

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Empirefan70 said:
Thank you youtube for ruining the STAR WARS bluray you have saved me the hassle of wasting £70.00 pounds on this STAR WARS abomination on Monday 12th September 2011. I hope the video or true STAR WARS fan youtube videos ruins the bluray marketing for STAR WARS because come Monday I’ll be running the originals on laserdisc because that is were the original flashback experience is, not in these bluray HD waste of 1080p dts 6.1 SIGH! The article below says it all, and George Lucas is a hypocrite today, trying to pull another fast one on the consumer.:eek: http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/31/in-1988-george-lucas-fought-against-altering-films.html
What, no one has pulled out this chestnut from that article yet?:D:rolleyes:
"American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians" - George Lucas

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
But people often don't read the second half of that quote, where Lucas goes on to say "Call me Conan, beeyatch!" :D

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo Medina said:
But people often don't read the second half of that quote, where Lucas goes on to say "Call me Conan, beeyatch!" :D
Conan! What is best in life? "Crush your images, see them edited before you, and to hear the lamentations of the fanboys!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks