What's new

Interview Lucasfilm on Star Wars the Complete Saga Blu-ray: Hands on Report (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
But the entire movie was captured on film, so when we went from film process into the DVD, a lot of the things from the DVD magnify the image of the film, and we lost about 8% of the picture there.
Is that 8% additional picture in each of the 6 movies, or just TPM?

This was posted another forum: "Another example of product confusion is with this HTF review they are providing screen captures which they say came from the DVD yet are at 1540x866 resolution. The 2004 Star Wars DVDs were not that resolution." They are pretty much saying HTF is sheep-like in falling for all the BS Lucasfilm's spokespeople throw at them.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Steve Bragg
Thos was posted another forum:
"Another example of product confusion is with this HTF review they are providing screen captures which they say came from the DVD yet are at 1540x866 resolution. The 2004 Star Wars DVDs were not that resolution. HTF is sheep-like in falling for all the BS Lucasfilm's spokespeople throw at them."
The images I provide are never identified above as "screen captures" They are compressed (even further by me) graphical illustrations of the work that was done. They serve only to illustrate some of the fixes made, and if you look at them you should be able to see the before and after differences. Not sure how thats sheep-like. In later parts I'll discuss answers to why no original cuts, why some documentaries were left off and other questions.
I had set my expectations accordingly about the original versions of the film, but going in was still concerned about the overall package. After seeing it, a lot of work went into this release and it shows. Just to set expectations in the end, I will be buying this set and I will recommend it to others. Is everyone going to be happy with it? Nope. Some people (Carlo) will decide to vote with their wallet and that is fine.

none

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Steve Bragg wrote: Thos was posted another forum: "Another example of product confusion is with this HTF review they are providing screen captures which they say came from the DVD yet are at 1540x866 resolution. The 2004 Star Wars DVDs were not that resolution. HTF is sheep-like in falling for all the BS Lucasfilm's spokespeople throw at them."
If you are going to quote someone, please consider adding a link so people can verify what you are quoting is what they actually said. (you've got some extra sentence which you've formatted in such a way that... oh you don't ;aslkdj;oisjds;oixcoijasl care.) http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Star-Wars-coming-to-Blu-Ray-UPDATE-August-12-2011-CHANGES-TO-2004-TRANSFER-CONFIRMED-WITH-NEW-TRAILER/post/525632/#TopicPost525632

It was short summary of what is said on that entire forum. Not my opinion, their's. That's why I didn't quote them by name. People are called Sheep-like in that forum a lot. I should have clarified better, that's why I just edited the post.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
The "Bring my shuttle" line change began what was one of, if not the worst change of the original trilogy, of course referring to that whole stop-the-pacing-of-the-sequence-dead inserts of Vader flying to, and landing in, his shuttle using "Return of the Jedi" outtakes. The Greedo thing is a deal-breaker for some, while that sequence (not so much the line, as poor as it is) is the deal-breaker for me. These sets come out on my 30th birthday (Sept 16) but I can honestly say I don't ever see myself buying them. It's editorial changes like that which annoy and ruin these the most for this consumer.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Carlo, I haven't seen these discs yet, but I think the answer to your question is clear.

The cuts of Star Wars, Empire and Jedi are the same ones you saw in 2004. It's clear that Lucasfilm and ILM spent a lot of time working on those transfers to do color correction, glitch fixes and anything else they could do to make the special editions look as good as they could in high definition. From what I understand about the sound mix, the same applies to the audio end.

Given that these are the cuts on the discs, you'll see the same simultaneous firing by Greedo and Han from 2004, and the same changed sequence of getting Vader back to his Star Destroyer from 1997. I agree that the latter change really messes with what was a great score cue by John Williams, but if I want to see the version I prefer I can always put on the 2nd disc from the 2006 DVD.

BTW the swapped surround channels were a deliberate choice, but not one Lucasfilm is likely to repeat. The new mix will not have this problem.

The 8% figure applies only to Phantom Menace.

The comment about HTF being sheep-like is an unfortunate phrase. Adam is presenting verbatim what he was told by the Lucasfilm people at this promotional event. We can disagree with their statements or take issue with them, but all Adam has done is take the time to bring their statements to us. His evaluation of the rest of the material is honest - he's fine with how the menus lay out and with the extras that have been included. Calling that sheep-like is really going too far for me. Steve, I understand you were just summarizing what someone on another forum was saying, but I honestly don't agree with that assessment. People on that forum are coming from a position that would expect Adam to have been hostile at this event and would want him to grill the Lucasfilm people about why Lucas won't do something we know he won't do. The short answer is that the original theatrical release versions will not be on this set. The other response likely from Lucasfilm as to why they will not be on this set would be "asked and answered."

I'm looking forward to this set. I see it as a supplement to the pre-existing 2004 set. If the original versions were ever to be made available in high definition, I would likely pick them up, but I don't see that happening for quite a long time.

And I appreciate Adam taking the time to both attend this event and to compile the information for us to see here. This took a full day of his time and I appreciate that he did it.

Shelldweller

Auditioning
Real Name
Shelldweller
Great report. Can you say whether the US-set will be regionfree. I intend to buy the US version since it looks way better than the european one.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excellent report. Looking forward to the updates to come
over the next day(s).

Count me in as VERY disappointed with the artwork in the box.

Was that the best they could do? Other than that piece of

criticism, I am very optimistic about this release and will have

it in my hands day one.

dargo

Grip
Real Name
Dargo
Thanks for all the hard work and getting this info so we can make a informed decision whether to purchase or not. I do find it troubling that you only got to see one film, I can see no reason for not having all six films playing and allow you to view them as you please. I wait eagerly for the next installment of your report.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Shelldweller
Great report. Can you say whether the US-set will be regionfree. I intend to buy the US version since it looks way better than the european one.
I will attempt to find out. Will probably take a couple of days to get an answer.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by dargo
Thanks for all the hard work and getting this info so we can make a informed decision whether to purchase or not.
I do find it troubling that you only got to see one film, I can see no reason for not having all six films playing and allow you to
view them as you please. I wait eagerly for the next installment of your report.
Thanks Dargo. I wouldn't read too much into that. It was simply a factor of time and the number of displays in the rooms we were in. If we had asked to see another film we could have. There was another instance when one of the prequels was playing, but I didn't discuss as I wasn't actively watching. In my defense I was too busy talking to Lucasfilm and looking at disc seven . Like I mentioned earlier those of us there made a beeline for the extras discs and only had time to scratch the surface of what they had.

Some people insist these transfers have "CRUSHED BLACKS"? Does the HT picture quality enthusiasts all in here agree with that? Is it a somewhat subjective thing? I keep reading posts like GeorgeC's: "These movies have been so butchered and screwed up it's disgusting. Crushed blacks, changed hues, brightened images, loss of detail, recolored lightsabers... It goes on and on. It's like a chef compensating for flavor by continually adding different ingredients, but no matter how hard he tries the desired flavor is unattainable. Eventually he starts over Lucas, just go back to the original sources and rescan them without all this tampering. It's not that hard."

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Thank you Adam for all of your hard work, it makes me very much looking forward to the release! Am I the only one that actually REALLY likes the artwork?...

I never have bought the films for the artwork, it could be all black and just say STAR WARS SAGA and I would be happy. That being said, I never have understood what they have against using the original posters for at least some of the artwork.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Bryan Ri said:
Thank you Adam for all of your hard work, it makes me very much looking forward to the release! Am I the only one that actually REALLY likes the artwork?...
I wouldn't say I REALLY like it, but I do like it. :) It's funny... a friend of mine has a young son who's a huge Star Wars fan. As far as the original trilogy is concerned, I don't think that generation of kids knows what the old theatrical artwork looks like!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks