What's new

Lucas: Indy4 in production -this year-... (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
Well in the case of SW, it takes place in "a galaxy far, far away" with highly advanced technology and civilization, so I had no problem with heavy use of CG to reproduce the otherworldly environments.
So did parts 4, 5 and 6 but I still belived that the worlds they were in were "otherworldly". The did'nt need CGI for those movies until 20 years after they were shot......................and that was only to put in better looking spaceships and a thinner Jabba the "H":D :D
Personally i just think that Lucas went a wee bit overboard on the CGI front with the prequeals. Just cause the technology's there................does'nt mean you have suck it dry.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Well I don't know how you feel about the prequels, but either way, you have to admit that they seem to be disliked by SW fans to a greater degree than they are liked. Now if you'd concede that point, then one has to wonder why? I think it is because, not so much of a poor screenplay, although that is definitely part of the equation, but rather poor directing. Some of the actors have said it was very hard to give a good performance when you were alone and playing against a sign on a stick, representing the other character. The really great work shows when a chemistry develops between actors, and the prequels lacked that. I think they'd have been better if GL did this (or let someone else direct), and he really filmed the movie first, with the actors working together, interacting. Then went back and did the CGI work. But from what I understand, a great many scenes were filmed one-dimensionally, with just one of the characters there at a time.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well I don't know how you feel about the prequels, but either way, you have to admit that they seem to be disliked by SW fans to a greater degree than they are liked. Now if you'd concede that point, then one has to wonder why?
I'm not sure that's the case, though, really. There's certainly a large vocal group that blasts Phantom Menace, and to a lesser extent Attack of the Clones. But are they the majority or are they a minority who screams loud enough to drown out the majority?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The fundimental difference between the two is that Lucas likes to tell his stories with visuals and sound. Spielberg likes to tell his with character interaction. I'm not sure which is better.
Both together at the same time is best. See Lawrence of Arabia as a fine example.:emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I'm not sure that's the case, though, really. There's certainly a large vocal group that blasts Phantom Menace, and to a lesser extent Attack of the Clones. But are they the majority or are they a minority who screams loud enough to drown out the majority?
I say just forget the on-line, Internet people! I never take into the consideration the Internet opinion in this matter. Just look around yourself in the real life, with real people that you see and know! I see no one, absolutely not a single living person among my new and old friends, family and even people that I encounter by chance that has a great appreciation for the prequels and many many of the them know the original trilogy and have great respect for it. I’m sorry but no matter how much we don’t want to admit this and I’m one of those, it’s a fact, a hard fact that Lucas has failed greatly with the prequels.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I’m sorry but no matter how much we don’t want to admit this and I’m one of those, it’s a fact, a hard fact that Lucas has failed greatly with the prequels.
In your opinion. ;) Just because you encounter some people
who don't like the PT doesn't mean they represent the public at large (remembering basic statistics). There are many movies that are considered flops at the time, but are critically acclaimed later on. And considering the sucessfull box office and DVD sales, I'd say it's safe to say the PT is not a failure.
Now let's get to talking about Indy 4, shall we? :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I say just forget the on-line, Internet people! I never take into the consideration the Internet opinion in this matter.
Exactly, that gets rid of the majority of your bashers right there. I don't know what you experience across the pond, but I've experienced a range from a couple people who didn't like it to a quite a few who absolutely loved it with the majority liking it but not obsessing over it. Most of the people I talked to thought it had the most kickass action of the year.

And with that, I'll drop it unless someone can provide an exceptionally convincing agruement to break us out of the "The movie sucks, and that's a fact." "The movie rules, and that's a fact." onward onward, away away.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Can't we discuss Indy 4 without the typical "Lucas Has Lost it" "Star Wars sucks" "No it didn't" conversations?

Even if you think Lucas made a mistake with the PT, can't we just drop it already?

I for one am excited about Indy 4, regardless of how I feel about the PT.

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
judging by the recent Star Wars films and Lucas's love affair with his computers, I think this one will have more effects than the previous three
Remember that this is a Spielberg film, not a Lucas film. George just came up with the story. I doubt if he'll have any more involvment than that.
I hope that Philip Kaufman get involved. I don't think it's a coincidence that he shares writing credit on my two favorite Indy films.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Don't be so sure. Lucas loves the hands on approach of executive producing, and is probably scheduling this movie early enough in SW3 post schedule to have that same role. Spielberg has been very vocal about loving film, but is quick to say that he'd do Indy digital if George asked him. Their relationship on Indy has always been that of boss and employee. It was one of the reasons Spielberg cited for wanting to do it in the first place.

But even if you consider the first films as models, they had 6 month shooting schedules, so if they start Oct.-Nov. they won'e finish until April-May 2004 and then a year to post. It's not unheard of to finish a movie early (although recent shooting schedules never do) and hold it up for a prime release date, or to not compete against another picture (SW3).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Though Spielberg is one of the best at getting a big, complicated shoot like this done ahead of time and under budget, so I imagine the schedule will hold up.

As for the CGI thing... Of course there will be some CGI. Every Hollywood movie has CGI in it nowadays, even stuff where you don't expect it like 25th Hour and Two Weeks Notice. Heck, Lucasfilm developed a lot of that sort of digital backlot/extra multiplication technology for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I doubt it will be immediately visible, since that's not really the series' style.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I think this is news, anyway, here's a Spielberg quote from Empire magazine regarding the digital/film issue;

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is indeed news. The last time Lucas tried to persuade him to film on digital and I think he said yes!
I may be mistaken, but I believe that Spielberg said, "If George asks me to shoot Indy 4 digital, I'll do it for him even though I don't like the format." However, out of respect to Spielberg, I don't think Lucas ever asked.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Big news: There's a report that the release date for Indy 4 is possibly being moved up to summer 2004 from 2005 as originally planned.
Ford, who will next appear in Revolution Studios' action comedy "Hollywood Homicide" this summer opposite Josh Hartnett, appears to have his schedule free for "Indiana Jones 4," should it shoot earlier than planned.
Paramount currently has the pic scheduled for summer 2005, but the studio wouldn't hesitate for the chance to get the tentpole earlier than planned. Discussions have already been had to move up the picture's production by a year, with "Indiana Jones 4" possibly going before the cameras this summer, making the picture available for 2004.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Interesting, if Paramount is loking at a Summer 04 release, that would shoot down the current proposed schedule for the Indy films on DVD. Currnet stuff was saying one a year leading to Summer 2005, but if the new movie is out in 18 months, the production on the DVDs is going to have to be hurried up a little.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
"All we need is for Indy to be breaking-in one of his graduate student as his replacement. Think Catherine Zeta-Jones in leather learning how to use the whip..... "
You really, REALLY need to go watch "The Phantom." Trust me. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Came across this news at Coming Soon and they got it from an Us Magazine article:
From the mouth of Harry Ford:
Wow. An exclamation point. Not often you see one of those attributed to Harrison Ford! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks