What's new

Lucas: Indy4 in production -this year-... (1 Viewer)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
See I'm the opposite, I don't think you need a lot of special effects to make a good Indy movie.
Umm...noboby said special effects = good movie. We were just conjecturing that a 2003 production schedule coupled with a rumored 2005 release might mean a lot of special effects.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
My point is that some people here, many of the general public, and sadly GL, may think to make it a great movie it has to have a lot of special effects. This is not what is necessary for a great movie. RotLA the only big special effects sequence was the ppening the ark ritual.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Wasn't aware of that. Maybe they could have Indy on the phone 'talking' to Marcus about it. A one-sided conversation where Indy is 'repeating' what Marcus is telling him as the conversation is going.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
All we need is for Indy to be breaking-in one of his graduate student as his replacement. Think Catherine Zeta-Jones in leather learning how to use the whip.....

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
All we need is for Indy to be breaking-in one of his graduate student as his replacement. Think Catherine Zeta-Jones in leather learning how to use the whip.....
As if I need a reason to think of Catherine Zeta-Jones....

By the way, I'm still partial to her swashbuckling scene in Zorro.

Let's see. Matrix's this year.

2004? Indy?

2005 SW 3?

Sounds good to me.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah....it's a great time to be a movie fan...there's something for everyone out there.

I am still hoping for Star Wars 3 and Indy 4 in the same summer though.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Don't forget though for CGI etc. Lucas is the producer, Spielberg is the director. Sure Spielberg also likes his special effects, but I've never seen him use them to the same extent Lucas does (not that that's a bad thing, I loved the CGI work in Clones)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget though for CGI etc. Lucas is the producer, Spielberg is the director. Sure Spielberg also likes his special effects, but I've never seen him use them to the same extent Lucas does (not that that's a bad thing, I loved the CGI work in Clones)
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of CG effects in the film, but I doubt they'll be whole sets ala clones. I'm figuring they'll probably create set extensions so they don't have to build the whole thing. This is a Steven Spielberg film, not a George Lucas film.

The fundimental difference between the two is that Lucas likes to tell his stories with visuals and sound. Spielberg likes to tell his with character interaction. I'm not sure which is better.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
IMHO, Character interaction and a good story are better. All the visual effects in the world don't really save a poor script.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of CG effects in the film, but I doubt they'll be whole sets ala clones. I'm figuring they'll probably create set extensions so they don't have to build the whole thing. This is a Steven Spielberg film, not a George Lucas film.
Since Lucas will be busy with completing Episode III, I believe he will leave Indy 4 mainly in the hands of Speilberg, although he has said that even though he prefers shooting on film, he would shoot Indy in digital if Lucas wants it that way.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Lucas has always said that Indiana Jones is Spielberg’s film. Spielberg will have total control and he also recently said that he doesn’t like to work the way Lucas did for the Star Wars Prequels. He mentioned that he likes to make as much of the sets as possible to give actors reel feelings. So rejoice and relax, we are not going to get awful and crappy acting like in the prequels!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Spielberg will have total control and he also recently said that he doesn’t like to work the way Lucas did for the Star Wars Prequels.
Speilberg has also said that he enjoys the prequels and that AOTC is his favorite SW film.

Also, Lucas will have some input in Indy 4. After all, he only created the character of Indiana Jones and wrote the stories for all the films.

Declan

Second Unit
Chad R wrote:
I agree, but judging by the recent Star Wars films and Lucas's love affair with his computers, I think this one will have more effects than the previous three.
But for me the thing that has nearly (nearly mind) ruined star wars Ep 1 and 2 for me was the heavy use of CGI. I know Lucas wanted to have some really cool looking landscapes, but i think it hurt those movies as they looked artificial. Theres no problem with them now and again, but there was CGI in nearly every sequence. The is such a thing called over doing it.

I just hope that Speilberg does'nt take this route with Indy 4. he has used CGI to great subtle use in A.I. and Minority Report.

CGI is good but there is a limit where too much can just cheap'in a movie. Special effects are "special", I just dont want Indy looking like he's walked onto a computer game when I sit down to watch no.4.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
But for me the thing that has nearly (nearly mind) ruined star wars Ep 1 and 2 for me was the heavy use of CGI. I know Lucas wanted to have some really cool looking landscapes, but i think it hurt those movies as they looked artificial. Theres no problem with them now and again, but there was CGI in nearly every sequence. The is such a thing called over doing it.
I just hope that Speilberg does'nt take this route with Indy 4. he has used CGI to great subtle use in A.I. and Minority Report.
Well in the case of SW, it takes place in "a galaxy far, far away" with highly advanced technology and civilization, so I had no problem with heavy use of CG to reproduce the otherworldly environments. Even though AI and Minority Report are sci-fi films, they take place only a few hundred years in the future on Earth, and is more primative than the SW galaxy.
Since Indy 4 takes places in the 1950s, I would imagine that there would be less use of CG.
And Declan, thanks for the correction on the Speilberg quote.
:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, Character interaction and a good story are better. All the visual effects in the world don't really save a poor script.
But what if the script isn't really the point? None of the dialog in any of the star wars flicks are really great though they're sometimes very powerful. It's the themes, and the visuals and the sounds that do it for me. Lucas' stuff is like visual poetry. From THX through Episode II he's managed to show me something different everytime. Spielberg doesn't stray far from his base ideas, but the stories he tells with them are completely different. The world needs a Lucas more than a Spielberg, because they Lucases are far more rarer, but I think you could make a case for the Spielbergs as a whole being more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks