Lowest ratings EVER

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by DanielCo, Jun 6, 2007.

1. DanielCo

DanielCo Stunt Coordinator

USA Today reported that NBC had the worst weekly ratings in at least 16 years here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...67842887_x.htm

Congrats to NBC who has week by week and year by year tried to make us forget Hill Street Blues, Cosby, Cheers and Seinfeld and apparently has succeeded.

The Saturday Stanley Cup broadcast managed a 1.1! That's informercial territory.

Trying to keep pace, Katie Couric managed to chase away enough viewers to feed CBS advertisers the lowest evening news ratings in 20 years.

I guess it's just a matter of time before NBC changes their letters to LAO and just run Law and Order 24/7.

2. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time NBC has broken that record in 2007 alone?

3. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David

I actually liked Couric on Today, but I have not been impressed with her on the evening news.

4. Brent M

Brent M Producer

If it weren't for The Office and Conan, I would never watch a single thing on NBC.

5. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Not like that would really help. The original Law & Order was on the chopping block for the new season and the reprieve was given under the order that costs be brought down. The life of at least one other show in the franchise was in question as well.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Come back Supertrain, all is forgiven.

Seriously, I don't think I've watched this network voluntarily since the last episode of Cheers.

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'll probably start watching The Office this fall (I just got into it via the DVDs) but currently I only watch Studio 60 on NBC. And while that show certainly wasn't a hit, it does better than 1.1 million viewers. [​IMG]

8. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

NBC has two of the best comedies we've seen on network television in years ("The Office" and "30 Rock") and they've been unable to truly capitalize on them...yet.

(I think "The Office" is brilliant, but I didn't come to the game until last summer. I am glad I figured out what I was missing.)

In year's past, networks like NBC used to have "marathons" of shows during the summer (comedy blocks during the 90s) on each night. I think that could go a long way towards helping them boost the ratings for some of their returning fall lineup.

"Seinfeld" faced cancellation during its initial seasons. It's finale in 1998 drew 70 some million.

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Ironically, I watch NBC more than any other network. Make me a Nielsen family.

Heroes
    Studio 60
    Law & Order
    Law & Order: CI
    Law & Order: SVU
    Medium
    The Office
    30 Rock
    Scrubs
    My Name Is Earl
    Reines

CBS I only watched
    How I Met Your Mother
    The New Adventures of Old Christine
    The Class
    NCIS
    Numb3rs

FOX
    Bones
    Drive

CW
    Smallville
    Supernatural

ABC
    Nothing, not one single show (I'll watch the Lost DVDs)

and various shows on TNT, FX, BBC America, Sci Fi, & USA.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Since you watch that much NBC anyway, why not add Friday Night Lights?

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yep, more like in just the past month. They just keep sinking...and sinking...and sinking. Soon, the CW (yay "Supernatural" !!) will be drawing more viewers than NBC.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I can't speak for Larry, but I found the film version such a bore I was never hooked by the TV promos.

13. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I've never in my life known a "Nielsen Household."

Do they still use set-top meters and diaries?

I do recall one time (10 years ago) getting called by a phone survey company asking for the person in the house below age 30 and being asked what I watched during different timeslots. It took like 1/2 hour to answer all of the questions and included network programming, local news, syndicated hours on TV, etc.

I'd like to know how Nielsen is doing their data collection.

Here was my TiVo season pass list last season:

NBC
    The Office
    My Name is Earl
    30 Rock
    Studio 60
    Las Vegas
    The Apprentice

CBS
    The Amazing Race
    NCIS
    Jericho
    How I Met Your Mother

ABC
    Lost

Fox
    Prison Break

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Re: Friday Night Lights

It's a really good show, and the summer is the perfect time to catch up on it (Sunday nights).

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep, I'm going to catch up on it.

But I enjoy L&O (though I wish less "ripped from the headlines") but Heroes was fantastic, some of the best TV on.

And I really enjoyed "30 Rock"

Next year, the channel4 show "IT Crowd" comes to NBC. Not sure if it'll work the same, but the british show is one of the funniest things I've seen. [​IMG] "Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

[​IMG]

16. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

I don't want to build up unnecessary expectations, but it's about the best show I've ever watched. Nah, that isn't setting the bar too high. [​IMG] It stood out on the network even in the season of Heroes.

17. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

While the mentality of today's programmers is surely to blame for these results (as well as way too many shows being ended before their time [​IMG] ), I can't help but think it's really just one more sign that the traditional paradigm of media distribution (read: Film, Television, Music, & Radio) is dead.

We blinked, the world changed, and there isn't a single media group who have managed to keep up with it, or perhaps even understand it.

18. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

The movie held my attention but I never gave it a thought after I finished watching it.

The show, on the other hand, is pretty damn amazing.

Definitely give it a shot.

19. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The snarky answer is, I didn't like jocks and cheerleaders in high school, why would I want to watch them on TV? (unless Jason Vorhees is stabbing them repeatedly).

But really, I already plan on watching the DVD. As I have said before, as a non-Nielsen family, I don't feel compelled to watch everything just to keep it on the air. What commercials I saw for FNL, I liked, but I confess I didn't have faith NBC would let it last a season let alone renew it.

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Damn. That good huh? Would someone who knows nothing about american football enjoy this? Despite the high rating (8.2), teh first couple of pages of IMDB comments are overwhelmingly negative...........

--
    H