What's new

Lowest ratings EVER (1 Viewer)

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
USA Today reported that NBC had the worst weekly ratings in at least 16 years here: http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...67842887_x.htm

Congrats to NBC who has week by week and year by year tried to make us forget Hill Street Blues, Cosby, Cheers and Seinfeld and apparently has succeeded.

The Saturday Stanley Cup broadcast managed a 1.1! That's informercial territory.

Trying to keep pace, Katie Couric managed to chase away enough viewers to feed CBS advertisers the lowest evening news ratings in 20 years.

I guess it's just a matter of time before NBC changes their letters to LAO and just run Law and Order 24/7.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the third time NBC has broken that record in 2007 alone?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

I actually liked Couric on Today, but I have not been impressed with her on the evening news.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If it weren't for The Office and Conan, I would never watch a single thing on NBC.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Not like that would really help. The original Law & Order was on the chopping block for the new season and the reprieve was given under the order that costs be brought down. The life of at least one other show in the franchise was in question as well.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Come back Supertrain, all is forgiven.

Seriously, I don't think I've watched this network voluntarily since the last episode of Cheers.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably start watching The Office this fall (I just got into it via the DVDs) but currently I only watch Studio 60 on NBC. And while that show certainly wasn't a hit, it does better than 1.1 million viewers. :)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
NBC has two of the best comedies we've seen on network television in years ("The Office" and "30 Rock") and they've been unable to truly capitalize on them...yet.

(I think "The Office" is brilliant, but I didn't come to the game until last summer. I am glad I figured out what I was missing.)

In year's past, networks like NBC used to have "marathons" of shows during the summer (comedy blocks during the 90s) on each night. I think that could go a long way towards helping them boost the ratings for some of their returning fall lineup.

"Seinfeld" faced cancellation during its initial seasons. It's finale in 1998 drew 70 some million.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Ironically, I watch NBC more than any other network. Make me a Nielsen family.

Heroes
Studio 60
Law & Order
Law & Order: CI
Law & Order: SVU
Medium
The Office
30 Rock
Scrubs
My Name Is Earl
Reines

CBS I only watched
How I Met Your Mother
The New Adventures of Old Christine
The Class
NCIS
Numb3rs

FOX
Bones
Drive

CW
Smallville
Supernatural

ABC
Nothing, not one single show (I'll watch the Lost DVDs)

and various shows on TNT, FX, BBC America, Sci Fi, & USA.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, more like in just the past month. They just keep sinking...and sinking...and sinking. Soon, the CW (yay "Supernatural" !!) will be drawing more viewers than NBC.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I've never in my life known a "Nielsen Household."

Do they still use set-top meters and diaries?

I do recall one time (10 years ago) getting called by a phone survey company asking for the person in the house below age 30 and being asked what I watched during different timeslots. It took like 1/2 hour to answer all of the questions and included network programming, local news, syndicated hours on TV, etc.

I'd like to know how Nielsen is doing their data collection.

Here was my TiVo season pass list last season:

NBC
The Office
My Name is Earl
30 Rock
Studio 60
Las Vegas
The Apprentice

CBS
The Amazing Race
NCIS
Jericho
How I Met Your Mother

ABC
Lost

Fox
Prison Break

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Re: Friday Night Lights

It's a really good show, and the summer is the perfect time to catch up on it (Sunday nights).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'm going to catch up on it.

But I enjoy L&O (though I wish less "ripped from the headlines") but Heroes was fantastic, some of the best TV on.

And I really enjoyed "30 Rock"

Next year, the channel4 show "IT Crowd" comes to NBC. Not sure if it'll work the same, but the british show is one of the funniest things I've seen. :) "Have you tried turning it off then on again?"

:)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't want to build up unnecessary expectations, but it's about the best show I've ever watched. Nah, that isn't setting the bar too high. :D It stood out on the network even in the season of Heroes.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
While the mentality of today's programmers is surely to blame for these results (as well as way too many shows being ended before their time :frowning: ), I can't help but think it's really just one more sign that the traditional paradigm of media distribution (read: Film, Television, Music, & Radio) is dead.

We blinked, the world changed, and there isn't a single media group who have managed to keep up with it, or perhaps even understand it.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

The movie held my attention but I never gave it a thought after I finished watching it.

The show, on the other hand, is pretty damn amazing.

Definitely give it a shot.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member

The snarky answer is, I didn't like jocks and cheerleaders in high school, why would I want to watch them on TV? (unless Jason Vorhees is stabbing them repeatedly).

But really, I already plan on watching the DVD. As I have said before, as a non-Nielsen family, I don't feel compelled to watch everything just to keep it on the air. What commercials I saw for FNL, I liked, but I confess I didn't have faith NBC would let it last a season let alone renew it.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Damn. That good huh? Would someone who knows nothing about american football enjoy this? Despite the high rating (8.2), teh first couple of pages of IMDB comments are overwhelmingly negative...........

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks