What's new

Low voltage wiring between screen and projector? (1 Viewer)

Wayne_H

Auditioning
Since I haven't decided on a screen or projector, this question may be a little to general (plus I'm a newbie to a lot of this), but here it goes anyway. Should I run low voltage wiring between the projector and electric screen in order for the projector to be able to "trigger" the screen to drop down?

Sheetrocking starts late next week...any other suggestions of things I may have overlooked more than welcome!

Thanks!
Wayne

Randy Emery

Auditioning
my suggestion is to decide on screen prior to building a pocket for it. Start with the tiniest details and "build backward". This produces few surprises. Good luck.

Wayne_H

Auditioning
Got the outlets all wired next to the screen and projector areas.

Any suggestions on the low voltage wire to use between projector and screen...# of conductors, gauge, etc?

Thinking I should run a DVI cable while things are still opened up too. This would be for future use, but I'm a bit mystified as to what type of DVI is what. Any recommends in that area?

Thx!

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
Pretty much any type of wire will work for a low-voltage screen trigger. Two conductors are all that is required. I used doorbell wire - 20-22 gauge I think. You could use cheap 20-24 ga speaker wire if you have some lying around (It's not any good as speaker wire :D )

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Run more than two conductors, or run several two conductor cables. Some day you may want to add curtains that open as well or ??. When it comes to LV wiring double or triple what ever you think you need.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
I ran CAT6 cable from my equipment room to the following locations:

1. Projector
2. Grafik Eye
3. Front Wall Center ("dinky-link" IR receiver)
4. Front Wall Left (potential screen/curtain control)
5. Face of Riser (2 runs for ???? comes up)

Cable is relatively cheap...while your walls are open go ahead and run more than you think you'll ever need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks