What's new

Lou Grant listing! (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
My private MTM hope is for The Tony Randall Show, but I'm not holding my breath, even with Shout's redoubled efforts in releasing Fox-owned shows. If only The Tony Randall Show had been a one-season black-and-white western instead of a two-season color sitcom, it would be released exclusively at Walmart already...

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I definitely wasn't expecting a 3rd season release in the same year as the first 2 seasons. Happy Thanksgiving indeed!

It's great that this series seems to be on the fast track to completion. Still, it's Shout Factory (and a Fox-owned series), so I won't feel completely confident that the whole series will be released until after I've received (hopefully next year) an Amazon email that says that my order of Season 5 has shipped.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
My private MTM hope is for The Tony Randall Show, but I'm not holding my breath, even with Shout's redoubled efforts in releasing Fox-owned shows. If only The Tony Randall Show had been a one-season black-and-white western instead of a two-season color sitcom, it would be released exclusively at Walmart already...

I agree that it's a longshot, but I'd like to see The Tony Randall Show, too. I'm also a little surprised that we haven't seen a release of MTM's The Betty White Show, given her renewed popularity in recent years.

And I guess it's also too much to hope for the last season of The White Shadow and the rest of St. Elsewhere. But maybe someday.

As for Shout's next MTM series, I think it's going to be The Trials of Rosie O'Neill. The release was discussed in June, though the studio and timeframe haven't been announced. Since the MTM shows seem to be coming solely from Shout Factory these days, I'm predicting they will be handling this one, too. (Looking forward to it.)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
As for Shout's next MTM series, I think it's going to be The Trials of Rosie O'Neill. The release was discussed in June, though the studio and timeframe haven't been announced. Since the MTM shows seem to be coming solely from Shout Factory these days, I'm predicting they will be handling this one, too. (Looking forward to it.)

Really? When I heard the news about ROSIE I assumed it would be VEI getting it, since they did CAGNEY & LACEY and Barney Rosenzweig has already had dealings with them.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Really? When I heard the news about ROSIE I assumed it would be VEI getting it, since they did CAGNEY & LACEY and Barney Rosenzweig has already had dealings with them.

VEI is another possibility, though they seem to have a full plate of planned releases that they've fallen behind on.

Shout is just my guess/prediction due to their release of MTM shows.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I just received season 1 of Lou Grant ahead of schedule from Amazon Canada...Shout has done an Outstanding job on this release! The episodes must be newly re-mastered as they look much better than I've ever seen them... sharp, good contrast and natural colors...rest assured, fans of this show...you will be thrilled with this set!

On 5 discs, the 22 episodes are uncut at about 49:30 (right for '77-'78) and each presented with 7 chapter stops therein...audio is also very good...

Shout has included a new 26 minute on camera interview with Ed Asner on disc 5...he's just as sharp as ever, and it's very informative...

So far, I've watched the first two episodes and spot checked the rest of disc 1...It's been so long that I didn't remember Gordon Jump being a regular on this show...and Tim Reid appears in episode 2, that will likely delight WKRP fans...Linda Kelsey has already replaced Rebecca Balding by episode 4...Richard Crenna directs an episode on disc 1, and a young Peter Weller is a guest star, along with Brian Dennehy on another episode...Nancy Marchand was great on this show, wasn't she?

Having watched the new interview with Ed Asner, I am delighted to discover that Jack Bannon was Bea Benaderet's son...and I'd also forgotten that Mason Adams was the voice of Schmuckers Jam...

I watch this show with some sense of melancholy, lamenting the decline of print journalism and newspapers in general...the good and the bad of it, but mostly I grieve the loss of the place of prominence that the daily paper in so many communities used to represent...and the great dumbing down of our times...

I don't collect a whole lot of '70s and '80s TV, but I'd want the whole run of Lou Grant and am happy to hear of season 2 arriving in August...I hope The Defenders season 1 looks this good...

Saw the first episode last night - great transition show to reveal a more serious Lou Grant. The writers did a strong job of establishing the pathos of his situation -- everyone sitting at home Sept. 20, 1977 entered this show very familiar with the character and the Wow! finish that occurred in the MTM finale just months earlier. Characters are easily integrated and introduced, while Lou demonstrates unease/gruff confidence as the plot builds. Loved the scene where he stares at a 1977 computer with a dinosaur's reluctance. Typewriters clanging everywhere -- it all felt familiar, since I started in the biz in 1991 having been the final grad class that used typewriters exclusively, then found computers (awful, clunky and impersonal) at the first job.
As mentioned above, picture and sound quality was top notch. It's been probably 35 years since I've seen this series -- I don't recall crossing it in syndication -- so i'm entranced to see how it holds up. For its day, as memory serves, it was fairly topical and entrenched in southern California, but broached a lot of touchy subjects in its day. Lou Grant and the Defenders have made 2016 a great DVD year -- and all pressed! Thank you SHOUT!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I've just received season 2 of Lou Grant...spot checked disc one of five in the set...just wanted to report that these are the same quality uncut transfers as in season 1...beautifully done...no extra features this time around as expected...when I get around to actually watching the episodes, (busy with The Defenders and Alfred Hitchcock Hour) I especially look forward to a few Lou Grant's that I recall from my hazy memories of first run..."Skids" featuring Andrew Duggan as Lou's one time physician, now down and out on skid row...I recall it also being one of Robert Walden's best episodes as he seeks out his own father...and the mob related episode with Nick Colasanto (Cheers) and Philip Pine...there's also an episode this season (and the next) with a very young Jonathan Banks...he, of course, being Mike from Breaking Bad and the current Better Call Saul...

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I've just received season 2 of Lou Grant...spot checked disc one of five in the set...just wanted to report that these are the same quality uncut transfers as in season 1...beautifully done...no extra features this time around as expected...when I get around to actually watching the episodes, (busy with The Defenders and Alfred Hitchcock Hour)

Mind me asking where you got the Alfred Hitchcock Hour ?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Dan, I purchased all 3 seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Hour in a Region 2 box set from Fabulous Films via Amazon UK...also season 7 of Hitchcock Presents and season 1 to be free of dvd-18 flippers that Universal gave us years ago...if you have a region free player, I recommend them highly as they are remastered, complete and not too pricey...

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Harry, they are complete, but with PAL speed-up, they come in at about 48:15 - 48:45 approx...originally in NTSC they would have run about 50:30 - 51:30 approx in 1962 - 65...fully remastered...unlike some people, I don't find the PAL speedup to be insufferable or distracting, although Hitch's well known voice is a little higher pitched...I got these R2 releases as I was completely sick and tired for waiting for Universal to release them in R1...and apparently, literary source rights for a number of teleplay adaptations, especially in season 1 of AHH preclude a third party licensee from taking them on for USA/Canada...more easily accomplished overseas for some legally arcane and unfathomable reason...current interpretation of original contract language? Enough to deter Shout, regrettably...

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Over the first 8 episodes i think the calibre of the show has evolved quickly and thanks to great writing, established itself early after a few missteps/trip-ups. Grant quickly settles in nicely in a dramatic series, shucking the bondage (?!?) of his comedic origins -- although there were a few instances during MTMS that he had to play it straight... While episodes like Hoax (#2) and Hostages (#3, but filmed first) really struggled with a ponderous/laborious storyline, others like Nazi and Scoop shine and have a very true-to-journalism feel, which would be one of the show's strengths going forward. Of course it would matter not if they also didn't have characters who you become attached to; Rossi and Billie (who jumped into the series in episode 4 and has been a sparkplug so far -- surprisingly since as a teenager I recall feeling how abrasive and uncomfortable she made me back then; Art and Charlie are each coming slowly but surely as wedges to Lou's serious but inquisitive focus. Ed Asner really commands the show, to no ones surprise.
Having read the debate at the Defenders' comments here, where some are finding the politics of the issues being uncorked in the show uncomfortable or too slanted, the nature of journalism -- and i guess its been fairly true through the years that 'activism' vs. pure reporting/reflection of what happened journalism means that a left-slant is less unexpected as some seem to feel with the Defenders. I say that as a Liberal from Canada, where our right-wing conservatives for the most part would be considered Eisenhower-esque. And as a Liberal, I agree with one comment re. Law and Order and how Lennie's breaking faith with his own convictions in the episode on capital punishment felt like 'jumping the shark', at least that's how I felt.
Anyways, i'm looking forward to finishing the first season, at which point i'll shift my attention to the Defenders on my shelf, which is fortuitously sitting ahead of Grant season 2...

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lou Grant Season Four is now scheduled for release on February 21st. I wasn't too terribly worried about them abandoning this series, but the one suspenseful moment was between seasons three and four because only the first three seasons had been available for streaming. But now the fourth season is officially announced and I'm sure we will see the fifth season shortly thereafter.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Lou Grant Season Four is now scheduled for release on February 21st. I wasn't too terribly worried about them abandoning this series, but the one suspenseful moment was between seasons three and four because only the first three seasons had been available for streaming. But now the fourth season is officially announced and I'm sure we will see the fifth season shortly thereafter.

They've really been bringin' it with those releases to get to the fourth one this fast!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Where was this announced?

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the good news about Season 4. (And a nice personal coincidence - the scheduled 2/21 release date is just 2 days after my birthday.)

Season 4, like the other seasons, is filled with good episodes. But this season is particularly notable because it includes the 1 episode of the series where another character from The Mary Tyler Moore Show appears. Eileen Heckart reprises her role as Mary's Aunt Flo in the episode "Pack".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks