What's new

Lottery what now???I (1 Viewer)

David McGough

Second Unit
I see were one winner has come forward to claim their
half. The other winner has not come forward.
What happends to the other unclaimed 125 million? Does the other winnner get to claim it all?
Does the unclaimed go back to Sat night's drawing?
I have not seen one artical on the net about the winnings

Anybody know these answers?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
In most lotteries I believe you have up to a year to file a claim. So, no, the money won't be available in Saturday's drawing. A year from now, if they still haven't claimed it, perhaps it'll be put back in. And the winner who has been identified will not get more than their half.

The regional tri-state lottery here usually puts all the unclaimed prize money in the jackpot just before Christmas to make an extra large holiday jackpot.

EDIT: From the PowerBall website:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Just my opinion, but I think that if the other ticket doesn't come forward within a year (fat chance), the other winner should get it all. After all, there would be no physical proof that there was another winning ticket. (Just the computer record.)

David McGough

Second Unit
Brian Im with you... How do we know there are 2 winners, mabe
just one and the other 125Mil is divied up. It's a scandlest world out there..
Im in Tennessee and we just voted in a lottery. Im slowly learing the rules. I only play the Power Ball when over 200mil. I will drive the 65mile trip dreaming of how I'm gonna spend my millions. I buy $100 worth and fuss the next day.

It is fun for a short time

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
If they're smart, the other party is first consulting with an attorney and financial/tax advisor, deciding whether to establish a trust to receive the payout(s), etc. This is particularly likely if it is a ticket held by a group of people, such as an office pool.

Oh, and changing their phone number, of course.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Can you imagine the paperwork and effort that would go into tracking every case of money being redistributed to the other winners if a prize goes unclaimed?

Even still, the fact that there are 2 winning numbers means that the 1 winner is only entitled to half of the winnings. I can't see why you would get the other half because the other party didn't claim it. It wasn't yours to begin with.
How do we know there are 2 winners
Of course there's always room for a scandal, but if you're going to worry about that, then you shouldn't be playing the lottery...the anxiety isn't worth it.

I'm sure you can argue back and forth, but I am reminded of an old lottery instance where a man won a large sum of money. He originally didn't claim it (for some reason like his father had gotten real ill), so he put the ticket away for safe keeping and lost it. About a year and a few weeks later, he went to claim the prize, but the lottery commission said no because it was past the year point. He then sued :rolleyes

These are cases where black and white rules need to be forced hard. It should be a rule that you don't get any unclaimed prizes, period. This just makes things easier and doesn't leave loop holes. Loop holes are what corrupt this country.

Besides, if someone is going to complain about half of 125 Million, then I really don't have any sympathy for them ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks