lots of green dots through hdmi cable

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by rickmar1905, Nov 27, 2010.

1. rickmar1905

rickmar1905 Auditioning

after reading numerous articles that claim a hdmi lead is just a hdmi lead and the most expensive are no better than the cheap ones, i went for a cheap 20 meter hdmi lead but the screen is constantly covered in green dots when i play the x-box 360 through it. i haven't tried viewing anything else through it but just assumed everything everything else will be the same, can anyone tell me if its a dodgy lead or is there really a difference in quality that reflects the prices of hdmi leads. cheers

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    The cheaper cables are usually thinner gauge wire(because they're shorter). As cables get longer, they get more expensive and thicker gauge wire. You need a thicker gauge wire or you got hold of a bad cable.

3. rickmar1905

rickmar1905 Auditioning

is it safe to say its the cable thats no good then? cheers

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

20 meters is very long for a high-data-rate digital interconnect like HDMI. "An HDMI cable is an HDMI cable" is true for runs up to 3 m or so, but I'm not entirely sure the spec even requires an HDMI output to drive a cable longer than 15 m. If you can't use a shorter cable, you'll need a heavier one.