What's new

Lots of 80's sitcoms..Where's Mr. Belvedere? (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Right now, I will be shocked if this set doesn't sell well. A few people on Shout! Factory's forums were talking about how well it seems to be doing on Amazon.com.

If that's the case, then that pretty much puts the B.S. theory that "if a rarely syndicated show gets put on DVD, it will automatically bomb" to rest

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
So for those of you who are watching the season set, tell us if the show has held up well at all or is it "80's cheesy" as I fear ?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

As I wrote in my review, I was shocked by how well it held up. I had written it off, yet honestly enjoyed rewatching it.

I also am hoping for Season 3.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
The show held up for me even better than I remembered. There were a few chessey moments here and there but mostly the jokes and humor were better than I remembered. There was more adult humor than I picked up on when I watched when I was young. Can't wait for season 3!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think it's held up well, too. In the episodes I've watched, there aren't many references that would date the series. I'm also catching more adult humor than I'd remembered, likely due to my age during the original run. Most of the "situations" are fairly timeless and applicable to any family at any time (except, perhaps, for the "teen daughter wanting her own phone line" scenes; they all have cell phones these days).

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Bring on the reamining seasons!! I've waited a LONG time for this!!

Great Job Shout!!

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I hope there are some commentaries this time - Brice Beckham (Wesley) had some good shows in Season 3.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Glad to see season three is coming out so quickly after the first set. I finally got around to picking up the first set a couple weeks ago and watched the first episode the other night. It was the first time I'd seen an episode since it left syndication, so it was definitely good to finally see the show again.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A reminder that Season 3 will be released this coming Tuesday, Sept 8. Yay!!

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I have the set. Runtimes are all over 23 minutes. No indication of any edits anywhere, including music.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i received my copy this week of season #3. I watch a few episodes, especially around Mr Belverdere gets deported. So, still found the series very funny and hope shout releases more of it down the road. We are halfway through the releases of the season with only 3 more to go.

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
How are the commentaries - do they talk about being cancelled (and revived) after the third season and being disrespected by the network and the critics?

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mr-Belvedere-Season-4/13098

Season 4 is coming out in January 2010. But it will only be available on Shout Factory's official website. I know that this is troubling, but please buy it anyways, cause if you don't, the other two seasons won't come out.

There will even be commentaries from the cast once again (this time joined by one of the creators).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I guess three isn't a lucky number for this show; that was the season after which ABC cancelled it.

Still, it's coming, and they're still doing commentaries.

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I wonder why they scrapped the commentaries for S4 - a cost-cutting move, perhaps? They were fun to hear on S3. At any rate I hope S5 comes out, and with the two "unaired" episodes.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Someone at Sitcoms Online got an email from Shout Factory, telling him to look for season 5, also as an online exclusive, this summer. However SF themselves on Twitter have said that they haven't said anything about that yet, and are telling us to hang on, so I'm not sure who to believe.

I hope season 5 comes out. I have yet to see a single full episode from that season. As far as post season 4 episodes are concerned, I've only seen one from season 6 (from when it was on YouTube). That season had, believe it or not, eight "unaired" episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks