LOTR ...is it that much of a must have for HT?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TommyL, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Ah,welcome to the "FELLOWSHIP" of the DVD of the year 2002[​IMG]

2. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Glad you got it Tommy. Let us know what you think. To me, FOTR:EE would've won Best Picture for 2001. It's that good, and in my top 5 of all time!

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I should have said this earlier, but I was in the same position as Tommy a week ago. I decided to go for it, and I do not regret a single cent of my purchase. I have not seen the extended cut yet, but I have watched some of the extras. Glad you decided to get it.

4. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

I feel the new cut is better. There is no way I am gonna watch the theatrical cut again [​IMG]

5. Ben Simpson

Ben Simpson Auditioning

Now this is slightly off topic,but its been bugging me,so I hope someone can help.What happens when I play the 6.1 soundtrack on my 5.1 system?Is the centre rear sound ignored,or is it matrixed to the left and right rears...I hope it is as I've avoided listening to that track in case I was missing something.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I agree with the fact that the EE flows much better. Let's hope this will be the same for TTT EE
    [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

You aren't missing anything with the 6.1 DTS mix. DTS-ES discrete works like this: If you have the center surround channel, it plays the discrete track through that speaker. It also compares that discrete track to the left and right surrounds and removes that data from them. In other words, the sound is already present in the left and right surrounds but is removed when played back on a system supporting a discrete rear center channel.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This is easily the favourite DVD in my collection of about 90 something. Only missing the trailer for FOTR otherwise it would have been sheer perfection.

9. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I agree that the picture is great. however one or two of the scenes with Sauromon on top of his tower could have been handled a little better. There is very noticeable pixellation in one scene inparticular. So not quite a demo disc for me but it does come very close. As for the extras....WOW!

10. Gary Harris

Gary Harris Stunt Coordinator

Watching the extras, I'm just amazed at the amount of work put into the detail in this movie. Its incredible what went into building the miniatures, weapons & even the costumes. Details so fine that no one would ever notice just by watching the movie. I liked the original release but the extended version has raised it to possibly my all time favorite movie.

11. Mariano

Mariano Agent

Does anyone know if there is a site where i can read in detail which scenes were added and which were deleted (i noticed that some dialog are missing from the theatrical cut) in the Extended version ?

Thanks

12. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

Thats why its HTF's DVD of the Year for 2002[​IMG]

13. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

This movie does NOT, i repeat NOT have a reference quality
    transfer. reference means no noticeable dvd artefacts or at least barely noticeable. FOTR has many compression artefacts and i can even spot these on a 24" widescreen.
    The fact that people are saying this transfer is so great really baffles me. Or maybe my trained eye is too trained!

14. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

I agree its a great set but on my 65inch i notice mnay pixels and artifacts,especially when the cam pans out. On a strictly video note there are better but as a whole package there isn't anything better.

15. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

As to the video, I can only attest to the quality as through S-Video, but as far as sound is concerned, I remember saying to myself, wow, that's really one active soundtrack. I was watching the original release with DD-EX. I read now that the FOTR release with DTS is even more active.

16. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

You must have it.

I am one of the few who prefer the theatrical cut though.

I feel Howard Shore's "Shire" opening music is ruined by Bilbo's dialogue.

17. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Anyone else have pixelation problems in the dark scenes?

18. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Umm, buying a dvd movie will not make you HT sound and look better! Unless the dvd is avia and you use it to calibrate.

It might be nice to show off, it's certainly not a must have if you have a HT, personally I watch movies in my theatre, not sound and video clips. I don't have LOTR I liked the movie but not THAT much.

19. Geo Gabor

Geo Gabor Stunt Coordinator