What's new

LOTR ...is it that much of a must have for HT? (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Glad you got it Tommy. Let us know what you think. To me, FOTR:EE would've won Best Picture for 2001. It's that good, and in my top 5 of all time!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I should have said this earlier, but I was in the same position as Tommy a week ago. I decided to go for it, and I do not regret a single cent of my purchase. I have not seen the extended cut yet, but I have watched some of the extras. Glad you decided to get it.

Ben Simpson

Auditioning
Now this is slightly off topic,but its been bugging me,so I hope someone can help.What happens when I play the 6.1 soundtrack on my 5.1 system?Is the centre rear sound ignored,or is it matrixed to the left and right rears...I hope it is as I've avoided listening to that track in case I was missing something.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the fact that the EE flows much better. Let's hope this will be the same for TTT EE
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
You aren't missing anything with the 6.1 DTS mix. DTS-ES discrete works like this: If you have the center surround channel, it plays the discrete track through that speaker. It also compares that discrete track to the left and right surrounds and removes that data from them. In other words, the sound is already present in the left and right surrounds but is removed when played back on a system supporting a discrete rear center channel.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
This is easily the favourite DVD in my collection of about 90 something. Only missing the trailer for FOTR otherwise it would have been sheer perfection.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I agree that the picture is great. however one or two of the scenes with Sauromon on top of his tower could have been handled a little better. There is very noticeable pixellation in one scene inparticular. So not quite a demo disc for me but it does come very close. As for the extras....WOW!

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Watching the extras, I'm just amazed at the amount of work put into the detail in this movie. Its incredible what went into building the miniatures, weapons & even the costumes. Details so fine that no one would ever notice just by watching the movie. I liked the original release but the extended version has raised it to possibly my all time favorite movie.

Mariano

Agent
Does anyone know if there is a site where i can read in detail which scenes were added and which were deleted (i noticed that some dialog are missing from the theatrical cut) in the Extended version ?

Thanks

Lee_eel

Second Unit
This movie does NOT, i repeat NOT have a reference quality
transfer. reference means no noticeable dvd artefacts or at least barely noticeable. FOTR has many compression artefacts and i can even spot these on a 24" widescreen.
The fact that people are saying this transfer is so great really baffles me. Or maybe my trained eye is too trained!

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I agree its a great set but on my 65inch i notice mnay pixels and artifacts,especially when the cam pans out. On a strictly video note there are better but as a whole package there isn't anything better.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As to the video, I can only attest to the quality as through S-Video, but as far as sound is concerned, I remember saying to myself, wow, that's really one active soundtrack. I was watching the original release with DD-EX. I read now that the FOTR release with DTS is even more active.

Gruson

Second Unit
You must have it.

I am one of the few who prefer the theatrical cut though.

I feel Howard Shore's "Shire" opening music is ruined by Bilbo's dialogue.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Umm, buying a dvd movie will not make you HT sound and look better! Unless the dvd is avia and you use it to calibrate.

It might be nice to show off, it's certainly not a must have if you have a HT, personally I watch movies in my theatre, not sound and video clips. I don't have LOTR I liked the movie but not THAT much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks